Like Tree14Likes

Thread: TH9C Sights

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

TH9C Sights

I posted here:
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/p...ml#post5589945
    ...about how the sights on my TH9C don't quite line up correctly. Since then, there have been a few other posts in recent threads where people have said that their TH9/TH9C is very accurate. So now I'm wondering if my sights are somehow unique.

I tried to take pictures of the sight alignment I'm talking about. I took an old-school 1"-square yardstick and layed it up against the sights of my TH9C. I then aimed my camera to sight right along the yardstick edge so both sights are as lined up as possible. So in this picture, you're looking at the end of the yardstick:
    Name:  TH9C Sights 1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  164.3 KB

Here's the same view, but I just tipped the yardstick out of the way:
    Name:  TH9C Sights 2.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  174.0 KB

Notice how the 3-dots do not align even though the top of the sights line up. There's clearly more space between the top of the dot and the edge of the sight on the front sight than the rear sight.

Here's a picture with the camera moved over slightly to get the 3 dots to line up. Now notice that the top of the sights do not align anymore.
    Name:  TH9C Sights 3.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  159.7 KB

So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? It's somewhat of an issue because for me, the proper sight alignment is with the tops of the sights lined up; NOT with the 3-dots aligned.

Thanks!

...Mike
    777Driver and taurustoter like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32407 times
    So line 'em up conventionally, so long as it hits on that way. I have a Ruger KP90DC, old gun, no longer in production since metal guns ain't cool anymore. The sights, however, shoot low. Rather than file the front, which would take off too much sight, I just cover the target with the white dot. I have other sight pictures for other guns, each being different. The TH9c, though, at least mine, aligns conventionally and is spot on. I simply adapt to the weapon.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    32407 times
    BTW, to avoid confusion, you could paint over the dot on the front sight.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I agree that you always have to adapt to the weapon. For me, it's just remembering how this pistol shoots. With the 3 dots aligned, it's far enough off to completely miss a paper plate stapled at 15 yards. The TH9 is an amazing value and I'm not trying to bash it in any way; I was mostly wondering if others have noticed the same thing or if mine was somehow unique. It sounds like yours is the same.

BTW, metal guns are always cool! This is only my 2nd plastic piece among a reasonable collection of other all metal variants. My other plastic pistol is the Springfield XDE, which operationally is almost identical, although a bit thinner grip with its single-stack magazine.
    NativeTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Bench rest it , you're find out where it shoots

I've been shooting 4 Sig's lately and I'm for sure if I go to shoot my Th9c or TH40c I won't hit jack **** until I calm down and remember --- a different gun
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    28066 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    BTW, to avoid confusion, you could paint over the dot on the front sight.
    OR blacken out the rear sight??
    I mean I assume this is a military type sight system , capable of hitting a human being, not punching lil 2 inch groups at 25 yards?
    and so --adapt
    or try some fully adjustable sights.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Just for fun I pulled out the dial calipers and measured 5.160" between the face of the sights with the front one being 0.028" too tall. A little trigonometry says that the difference between the 3 dots being lined up vs. the top of the sights being lined up is 0.3109 degrees; or 18.65 MOA for you rifle guys out there. Comes out to almost 2" at 10 yards or almost 3" at 15 yards. That's not as far off as I thought. Means I'm just not that good at hitting paper plates at 15 yards!
    olfarhors likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    32407 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin Mike View Post
    I agree that you always have to adapt to the weapon. For me, it's just remembering how this pistol shoots. With the 3 dots aligned, it's far enough off to completely miss a paper plate stapled at 15 yards. The TH9 is an amazing value and I'm not trying to bash it in any way; I was mostly wondering if others have noticed the same thing or if mine was somehow unique. It sounds like yours is the same.

BTW, metal guns are always cool! This is only my 2nd plastic piece among a reasonable collection of other all metal variants. My other plastic pistol is the Springfield XDE, which operationally is almost identical, although a bit thinner grip with its single-stack magazine.
    Oddly, I was looking at the XDe when I got the TH9c. I wanted it in .45 and may still get one. I particularly like the DA/SA hammer system.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Oddly, I was looking at the XDe when I got the TH9c. I wanted it in .45 and may still get one. I particularly like the DA/SA hammer system.
    I am also a fan of hammer fired DA/SA pistols; especially with a hammer-drop mechanism and ideally all metal. This includes Beretta 92 or 96 series, Bersa Thunder or Thunder Plus, Stoeger Cougar, Walther PPK, Taurus 9X or 9XX series, Arex Rex Zero 1, or IWI Baby Eagle. That names most that I know of.
    Some CZs have a hammer-drop, but no safety; while others have a safety, but no hammer-drop.
    The Springfield XDE, Taurus 800 series, and Taurus TH series are the only plastic framed pistols I'm aware of with these same features.
    NativeTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Add to the list of plastic guns the Walther P99 and the Canick V2. They are striker pistols but have true DA/SA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links