My TX22 Experience: A+
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My TX22 Experience: A+

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

My TX22 Experience: A+

My experience with the Taurus TX22. Reposted here.

PART I

In October I purchased a Taurus TX22 with some amount of trepidation. Anyone who has spent time reading online reviews of Taurus products is likely to have come across a fair number of negatives. “I had a Taurus [Fill in the Blank] and it was a piece of [Fill in the Blank]” is a phrase often encountered.

As for myself, I have not had much experience with Taurus. At one time, I did own a Taurus Model 85 .38 Special. A few light primer strikes later, I soon sold it in the pursuit of another firearm. I didn't feel I could trust it after that. It didn't make me a hater, but not a fanboy either.

I took the TX22 to the range, not knowing what to expect. The price was very good, and the $50 mail-in rebate made it better. It comes standard with two, 16-round magazines, and a threaded barrel adaptor. If it was faulty in some fashion, I told myself I wouldn't be out much.

Silly me. The TX22, thus far, has exceeded all expectations. Is it unbecoming to say I “love” this gun?

To begin with, this is a really light gun. According to Taurus, it weighs 17.3 ounces unloaded. Furthermore, I enjoyed the ergonomics of this gun. It felt good in the hand. Handling it felt like second nature.

At the indoor range, I shot at a profile target from 7 yards. I was shooting a little left and high the first few magazines through it. With a small screwdriver I had brought along, I adjusted the rear sight and was soon hitting where I was aiming. The TX22 rear sight can be easily adjusted for height and windage.

I brought along these types of .22lr to test fire:
    CCI Blazer
    Remington Yellow Jacket
    CCI Minimag
    CCI Stinger
    Federal Champion
    Winchester Super X
    American Eagle
    CCI Velocitor
    CCI Standard Velocity

With the exception of the American Eagles, each type fired perfectly. In that instance, I had a failure to eject the first three rounds, but then fired the remaining American Eagles without incident. I won't blame the gun for this.

I also fired 16 rounds of every type mixed together in one magazine (minus the American Eagles) and this too functioned flawlessly. In all, I shot 224 rounds.

Afterwards I inspected the gun. Everything seemed to be in good shape, although there were some small marks on the edge of the ejection port. Not a big deal to me. This is a shooter, not a showcase gun.

Would I conceal carry the TX22 or use it as a home defense weapon? I have other options for those tasks at the moment, but for those who do not, or those who cannot shoot a higher caliber sidearm due to recoil or handling issues, the TX22 would not be a bad option. Sixteen rounds of Stinger or Velocitor in the face would likely have most would-be assailants/home invaders questioning their life choices, albeit briefly.

PART II

In January, I took the TX22 out again to the indoor range. Fired an additional 256 rounds with various types of ammo, including:

CCI Stinger
    CCI Velocitor
    CCI Minimag
    CCI Blazer
    CCI Stadard Velocity
    American Eagle
    Armscor
    Remington 22 Target
    Remington Yellow Jacket
    Aguila Standard Velocity
    Aguila High Velocity
    Federal Champion
    Winchester Super X

Of all these tested, only two loads gave me any trouble... the Aguila Standard Velocity (2 rounds stovepiped) and Remington Yellow Jacket (FTE on 2 rounds). And the American Eagle, which gave me a few problems on the first trip, worked without incident on the second time out.

With fewer than 500 rounds fired overall, I believe this gun has yet to be truly broken in. I hope to get the chance to do more shooting soon.

Cleaning afterwards showed no signs of excessive barrel leading, as some have reported with their TX22s.

I continue to "love" this gun. It is a delight to shoot. Highly recommended.

And may I add, Stingers produce a pleasing, fiery muzzle blast.

What's Next?

I'm considering adding a Lakeline fiber optic front sight and blacking out the white dots on the rear sight. As well,
    I'm looking forward to adding a Taurus 942 in 22 magnum in the near future, and maybe some others. I think Taurus has really upped its game with a number of handguns, the TX22 among them.

Member #
    Liked
    11866 times
    Thank you for the excellent TX22 review.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    4409 times
    Excellent review! I too am interested in the 942 22 mag in 3".
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I feel the same as the OP about the TX22. Only issue I had was it would intermittently jam. Thankfully I found it was an operator error. I found that each shell had to be alternately positioned from each other, in the magazine, to make sure that the top round is pointing up. My error was loading the magazine without the loading tool. Once I started to use the tool, jamming problem stopped. Sorry I don’t have a picture to back up my description.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Thinking of adding a laser sight. Any recommendations? Low price preferred.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Don't know about a laser, but this ADE red dot on a Lakeline base is a great addition. 75 yard hits on 8 inch square steel are easy and hits on 6 inch round are consistent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rickyblaze; 02-09-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    What would be a good price on a new TX-22, the basic model? I'm thinking of ordering one and wondering what I should pay. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    6816 times
    Thanks for the range report. Well done.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    What would be a good price on a new TX-22, the basic model? I'm thinking of ordering one and wondering what I should pay. Thanks.
    I decided to take a chance on one. It’s was $212.99 with $20 shipping. I used gun.deals search engine to find the best price. Just google TX22 gun.deals and go from there.

For $232.99 I’m willing roll the dice on a good barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_steel View Post
    I decided to take a chance on one. It’s was $212.99 with $20 shipping. I used gun.deals search engine to find the best price. Just google TX22 gun.deals and go from there.

For $232.99 I’m willing roll the dice on a good barrel.
    That seems to be the best place to start.

Do some searching when you find a company with a great price. Some have very questionable reviews. Actually more than some.

If you click on the company link it should take you to a company page with that specific firearm listed. Some times it will show "out of stock" on the company page but not the gun.deals page.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links