TX22 review turns sour? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: TX22 review turns sour?

Member #
    Liked
    27749 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I have never used any Stingers but I knew they were a hot round. The case is longer? How does that work? Isn't the chamber only so deep? Basically I understand about the "rimfire" aspect but do they head space off the rim leaving chamber space that this longer case fits into? There's a lot I don't know about how .22 works!

From what I have observed the OAL of the round is about the same as other 22 LR, and as the 22 LR head spaces on the rim not the case neck I think that eliminates the problem?
    again my take on it.
    I have known for decades that the stinger case is longer and surprisingly when I mention it to many gun freaks they argue that it can't be, until we compare the cases.
    OPPS-- I see bang bang has already addressed this!
    Last edited by olfarhors; 12-16-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    darbo and Yissnakk like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    27749 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post
    The case of a Stinger is not longer. It is not a magnum round, which is what it would be if it had a longer case.
    ahh- actually magnum, much like plus p is a pressure/ performance rating, not a case size.
    just saying.
    darbo likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2430 times
    I've fired tens of thousands of Stinger rounds, but I never noticed the case length difference. Good thread, thanks.
    darbo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30077 times
    I can see the slightly longer Stinger case possibly causing ejection problems in an ejection port with very tight tolerances.

However many of today's shooters don't shoot the quantity of rimfire ammo (we used to shoot when 500 rd bricks were $7) in the variety of different platforms to realize it is NOT 100% reliable due to it's method of priming.

You'll get better results with much more expensive "Olympic Target Quality" .22 from Eley et al.

darbo likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    OK, let me go over this again. You are still mistaken CCI stingers have a longer case then standard 22 long rifle. If you had any experience shooting the stingers you would have noticed that the case is longer than any other 22 long rifle case. Sometimes it pays to check with Google before you argue a point.

Here is a comparison picture of a standard round with 2 other long rifle standard cases. I am also including a quote that directly addresses the length of the stinger round. Finally, I am including a link were you can go and read about it yourself. If you still insist that they are not longer I would suggest you call CCI customer service and they will explain it to you.

Attachment 452089

"Using the bullet from a .22 Long—a 32-grain plated hollowpoint—and a longer case for greater powder capacity while still maintaining the same overall length as the standard .22 LR cartridge, the Stinger obtains a high muzzle velocity (1,640 fps) for a flat trajectory."

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...g-rifle-loads/

Don
    Now go back and re-read what I wrote Don.

The Stinger case is within .22lr spec. Again, if it wasn't, it wouldn't be able to eject. Other manufacturers, like the ones you have a pic of, have SHORTENED their 22lr casing in order to accommodate a large bullet. You are getting it backwards. The Stinger is not an elongated case, the others are shortened.

Member #
    Liked
    30077 times
    Lets just all agree .22 rimfire firearms are "picky" as to which ammo they like.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    6580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post
    Now go back and re-read what I wrote Don.

The Stinger case is within .22lr spec. Again, if it wasn't, it wouldn't be able to eject. Other manufacturers, like the ones you have a pic of, have SHORTENED their 22lr casing in order to accommodate a large bullet. You are getting it backwards. The Stinger is not an elongated case, the others are shortened.

Did you not read the quote I put up in my last post? Did you go to the link I included and read about the stinger? Is the author of that article wrong about the length of the stinger case because you think he is wrong?

Would I be wasting my time by pulling up and linking to other articles concerning this question because you think they are all wrong? If so please tell me now and save me some time.

Don
    darbo likes this.
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    I can see the slightly longer Stinger case possibly causing ejection problems in an ejection port with very tight tolerances.

However many of today's shooters don't shoot the quantity of rimfire ammo (we used to shoot when 500 rd bricks were $7) in the variety of different platforms to realize it is NOT 100% reliable due to it's method of priming.

You'll get better results with much more expensive "Olympic Target Quality" .22 from Eley et al.

I've fired Eley in mine, and had some cycling issues - though the Eley was pretty old and was showing some white corrosion on the lead bullet (first time I'd seen corrosion on a bullet). The lube had broken down apparently.

CCI Standard Velocity will do everything that Eley will do in a pistol of this type. It's the best mid-range ammo available IMO. Very few issues with quality control and the accuracy is surprisingly good for non-match round.
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    🌙 dog said it best. Also why would anyone want to shoot a hot load in a 22 pistol? I believe they were just looking for trouble and got it.
    darbo and jkv45 like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22291 times
    Agree with Don's Stinger and sketch's comments. We used very heavy and "overbuilt" 22 LR rifles on the rifle team in both high school and in college. But we used "Olympic" grade Remington ammo. You know it when you feel it as it is greasy as hell. But accurate as hell as well. We were given 3 shots to warm up our barrels and two more to zero the rifle for competition. And it was bolt action single shot so you had to finger load each round as you shot it. I personally don't shoot stingers - no need and I got "shot out" on 22 in my youth. And, last time I bought 22 in volume was a brick of 550 rounds for $5.
    BangBang and darbo like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links