PT99 / PT92 Day/Night Sights for EDC / Combat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: PT99 / PT92 Day/Night Sights for EDC / Combat

Member #
    Liked
    233 times

PT99 / PT92 Day/Night Sights for EDC / Combat

I have been meaning to post some stuff about sights. There are many questions on the 92 forums regarding sights. If you study sights, the absolute fastest sight, according to dangerous game hunters in Africa, is the Express Sight; shallow V with gold or brass post or square up front. I took that advice and created my own rear sight and re-profiled my front sight. My front and rear sights both have vertical white lines that are extremely fast at 7 yards or less. Then I added phosphorescent powder to two part clear epoxy and VERY carefully "painted" my sights with that. It's what works for me after years of studying, working on, building, and installing sights. Your mileage may vary. I also bought an inexpensive UV flashlight to charge the sights although any light will work.
    Here are pics of the PT99, sights day and night time. The front sight appears small at night but in fact is not. I couldn't get the camera to focus on the front sight while taking a picture of the rear and front sights. The last picture is looking down a dark hallway towards a door.
    Pics to follow and comments are welcome. Lol
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by grumpyoldcomputerguy; 09-16-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    My 2 cents.
    Most guns out shoot most people.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46675 times
    Nice job! As fine a pistol as the 92 is, the fixed front sight leaves few options available. At various times I've played with the idea of having a machine shop (I have rudimentary tools and skills) either mill out a slot or drill a hole down the center for a fiber optic or tritium tube. Short of that, a reflex optic might be an answer for me.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Thanks Czechbikr. I have considered milling a dovetail in the front of the slide but decided against it.
    I plan to post some more information on open sights on this thread so others may benefit, I hope.
    loudviking likes this.
    My 2 cents.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    A little more of a tutorial on open sights. If you are running square post in a square notch, you MUST have a gap on each side of the front post between the notches of the rear sight. This allows your eye(s) to naturally center the front post in the notch without thinking about it. If your post fills up the rear notch, you should use a safe file and file the sides of the rear notch so you see daylight on each of the front post.
    See the pictures below:
    The first picture shows a correct sight picture and gaps on both sides of the front sight.
    The second picture shows a gap that is too wide, except for very close shooting, for any kind of accuracy beyond 10 yards or so. (not my gun).
    Also, notice the height of the front post in the first photo matches the height of the rear notch sight.
    Name:  Night-Sights-on-a-Glock.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  20.7 KB
    Name:  Front-Sight.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  24.9 KB
    olfarhors and loudviking like this.
    My 2 cents.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Member #
    Liked
    28600 times
    speaking of sights, and a lot of this si MY opinion from my use.
    there is a distinct difference in a sight for self defense and for target or plinking use.
    In my case for self defense i prefer a tritium front sight and a total rear black sight (warren tactical is my choice) that has a larger u shape. the purpose of this is to be able to come on target quickly, to be able to actually see the front sight at all times of day/night and generally provides a snag free setup.
    I was pleasantly surprised when I looked /fondled the new Springfield Armory XDS that this is the exact set up it comes with.
    Now every self defense weapon that I MIGHT carry isn't set up this way but most are.
    they are all fixed sight weapons with either a fiber optic front or a tritium front.
    now target is totally different for me.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28600 times
    Phosphorescent paints/powders can be a big help in many cases, its generally not that expensive and easy to apply.
    as long as you keep it Charged, otherwise it loses its effectiveness.
    normally the green or yellow paints have the longest charge time before needing to be recharged, some Phos paints have as few as 30 minutes effectiveness before needing to be recharged , so check which color you pick out.
    there is an old post here somewhere that will show all different ideas and colors of what others have used, maybe someone knows where its at and can bring it back as a Zombie Thread?
    anywho here is a picture of a 238 with the highlighted sights, anyone that knows how small those sights are can appreciate the improvement.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Good stuff! Yes we are talking defensive pistol so far. Another tip; always focus on the FRONT sight. The bullet goes where the FRONT sight points. Of course you have to be aware of the rear sight. Unload your firearm. Check it again. Then practice, practice, practice bringing up the sight picture and focusing on the FRONT sight.
    As a novice revolver shooter years ago I always brought the revolver down into the sight picture, even on the first shot. Trouble was I transitioned that into semi-auto pistol. That first shot is very important. Bring the gun up and shoot when the FRONT sight is ready to go, in defensive pistol.

Hunting revolvers are another story. We may talk about those in this thread but I have to find some pictures first.
    Mr Keith
    and some revolver shooters on here may want to contribute their knowledge. Just trying to make this a good thread to talk about sights and sight pictures. Thanks for your input
    Mr Olfarhors.
    Last edited by grumpyoldcomputerguy; 09-16-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: formatting
    olfarhors likes this.
    My 2 cents.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Member #
    Liked
    28600 times
    Glad to help.
    I agree I make point to so many shooters that are having problems with accuracy--focus on the front sight, keep the front sight pointed exactly where you want the bullet to hit all the way through the trigger pull.
    most times they are quite happy with the results.

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Here are two charts for pistol shooters. They are a great place to start fixing basic hand /grip problems.
    These are FREE downloads courtesy of Alien Gear Holster web site. Other web sites have them also. They are printable targets.

First pic should be for right handed shooters.
    Second pic should be for left handed shooters.

Last edited by grumpyoldcomputerguy; 09-16-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    olfarhors likes this.
    My 2 cents.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Member #
    Liked
    28600 times
    Here is another one that I have had for some time, I actually like it a bit better myself, the ones that you post are more common however.
    this one is for a righty, simply reverse the left/right issue if you are a South paw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links