Alloy frame?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Alloy frame?

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Alloy frame?

I am in the process of buying either a pt 92 or a pt 99. Will an alloy frame model hold up to regular use? I am a reloader and bullet caster so this gun could see some moderate use. Several hundred to a thousand or so rounds/year could happen, depending on how much free time I get.

My ideal gun would be stainless with adjustable sights and an alloy frame with no rails. Does Taurus make such a gun?

Member #
    Liked
    32000 times
    An alloy frame 92 or 99 will hold up to that for at least a lifetime. Don't worry about it.

I see one stainless, no rail on gunbroker right now. They exist, but they are less common.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I see all the new ones have rails. I'm getting a new pistol so mine will have rails.
    I also see that the sight blades on the 99's are fragile. My nephew-in-law does 3-D printing. I could have him make me some extra rear blades.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    The PT92 is a GREAT pistol , After market parts are good for the Beretta M9 , with a 12# hammer spring I pick up my 92 way before my 1911
    I cast and reload also and the 92 eats anything in the mag , it really likes 124gr and up and lots of powder ,( no bunny farts ) I keep it oiled and greased and many 1000's rounds in 8yrs
    MisterMills357 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6493 times
    I believe the 92 in what they call stainless will hold up just fine. Mine was purchased in 2007 and have no problems at all.

Member #
    Liked
    4230 times
    The 92 is an excellent pistol. The wear parts are not Taurus captives and available from Wolff, Beretta, Wilson, etc. Mec-Gar mags work well.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Member #
    Liked
    3315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I am in the process of buying either a pt 92 or a pt 99. Will an alloy frame model hold up to regular use? I am a reloader and bullet caster so this gun could see some moderate use. Several hundred to a thousand or so rounds/year could happen, depending on how much free time I get.

My ideal gun would be stainless with adjustable sights and an alloy frame with no rails. Does Taurus make such a gun?
    Well, the Beretta M9's have aluminum frames, and they have been in service for 30+ years. Yes, having an alloy grip frame is perfectly safe for many many rounds.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1629 times
    I have a 92 AFS and I have yet to find ammo that it doesn't shoot well.

and it looks really nice.

And it is fun.

And it is older, without the rail.

And it shown no significant wear anywhere.

And, lest any ask, NO, it s not for sale.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    26983 times

Not in a long, long, long time they haven't!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26983 times
    I see all the new ones have rails. I'm getting a new pistol so mine will have rails.
    I also see that the sight blades on the 99's are fragile. My nephew-in-law does 3-D printing. I could have him make me some extra rear blades.

doesn't matter, Taurus hasn't produced a model 99 in several years!
    taurustoter likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links