Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How'd This happen?

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Steyr 
#1 ·
The rear sight on my TH9c had to be adjusted when I first got it. I moved it to the right, all was well. This week I've been shooting it and figured out it's shooting left again. Apparently the sight had migrated back to the left despite the set screw on the sight still being quite tight. Hmm. Well, I re-set it and drowned it in blue loctite this time. It's shooting straight again. We'll see what happens.

#2 ·
Single set screws aren't usually absolute unless there's a detent/dimple for it to seat into. The receiver scope mount for my Enfield has three or four set screws and even though I've had them all tight enough to be on the verge of stripping, it still moves after 5-10 rounds.

Reactions: NativeTexan
#6 ·
Call Taurus and get a label on their dime...the set screw should have a serrated cup end where it contacts the bottom of the dovetail.

#11 ·
Maybe let them know and they may already have spec'ed a set screw with a cupped point. If not, maybe they'll send you a new rear sight which would not be a bad thing to have in stock. At the very least, they might tell you the length and thread of the OEM set screw so you can hit an industrial supply house to get a cupped or pointed one.

#9 ·
Well my suggestion is to get in touch with Jake!
you know his first cousin Clarence works at Taurus and is in the sight installation and zero department and can likely add some Professional advice to you!
Now be sure and mention Clarence, as he is the cross eyed one, his brother Terrance works in factory lubrication of shipped weapons!

#12 ·
OF course--one could always pull the rear sight, have the hole drilled to a common American size, rethreaded to the appropriate thread size for the Americab Screw that you wish to use--or get rid of the junky screw setup and fit it with a shim good an tight and move on.

#13 · (Edited)
Cartoon Illustration Clip art Animated cartoon Nose

I think it's the gremlins.

#15 ·
Manufacture or purchase serrated cup? Be the way I`d run made a few out of small screws (gun screws) did one for colt Yolk/Gate guy thought I was nutz he lost internal piece that slid in between yolk/gate frame and the screw I took a screw and sand paper scratch til fit heated dropped in 10w 30 for blue and harden needed a pen spring cut down a bit, that was 7 years ago guy still runs it today. At the range we laugh our cans off.

Reactions: jwc007
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.