Introducing Someone to Shooting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Introducing Someone to Shooting

Member #
    Liked
    41668 times

Introducing Someone to Shooting

PH’s aunt said she wants me to introduce her to shooting.

I asked pistol or rifle?

She said she would prefer to learn pistol but was open to shooting rifle too.

I said, love to have you out to Sandlake, we’ll introduce you to safe fire arm handling and shooting.

Well, what do you start new shooters off with? Well a 22 obviously.

I don’t own a 22 semi auto pistol to show her the ropes on ...

Sooo

I bought a TX22 today.

It appears to be a quality pistol.

Yay me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    33081 times
    ...good man! I don't think firearm training is complete without both rifle and handgun. Personally, I like to start out new shooters with a rifle, then progress to handguns. If their primary interest is pistol, we don't dwell on the long guns but I think it's a bit easier to learn how to use sights on a rifle. Also, it's usually easier for most beginners to hit a target with a rifle so I think it instills a bit of confidence from the beginning. Of course, most I've introduced to shooting were young kids.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    I have introduced numerous people, young and old, to the shooting sports. It's very rewarding, especially if you get the chance to introduce someone that has reservations about guns. I've never had a hesitant new shooter be anything but excited when the range time was done, and most have conquered their irrational fear of firearms.

Air pistols and rifles are the best way to teach someone that has never fired a gun before. It removes the noise and recoil so they just concentrate on the mechanics of firing the shot accurately. Not everyone has an airgun, and a .22 is the next best thing. It's manageable and easy to control. Rifle is generally safer, as you can more easily keep track of the barrel, but pistol is doable. I like to load 1 round for the first shot, as some people will still be startled and may get distracted. I rarely load more than 5.

After successful training with a .22, I may give them a chance to try a centerfire gun. Again, only loading 1 round, and I'll usually fire it first so they can get a feel for what is going to happen. With the centerfire gun it's easier to have them dry-fire as well, which gives you a chance to watch for a flinch. Snap caps in a .22 would allow to do the same.

Be sure to discuss the 3 basic rules for firearms safety before going out on the range -

* Always keep the gun pointed in s safe direction

*Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot

*Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use

​Have fun!
    ICUKev likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2666 times
    Good on ya lad. Stay safe and enjoy.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    That's a great choice for teaching a new shooter. If I had a do over I would have taught my wife how to shoot with a .22. She didn't grow up with guns & feared them so I couldn't even bring one in the house until 2010. Changed her mind in 2010 (local crime increase) so I taught her with the first gun I bought, Ruger LCR 38. Lousy choice for a a beginner! 3 of my 9 guns are .22 & they're the only guns she hasn't shot. Now I can't drag her to the range. I think she would find the TX22 fun to shoot but she has to try it first.
    (2) Ruger .38 LCR
    Taurus 66 with Hogue grips (my avatar)
    Taurus TX22
    SIG P290RS
    SIG P250 45 acp
    SIG P250 SC 9mm
    Beretta Pico .380
    Ruger 22/45 .22

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46307 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texheim View Post
    PH’s aunt said she wants me to introduce her to shooting.

I asked pistol or rifle?

She said she would prefer to learn pistol but was open to shooting rifle too.

I said, love to have you out to Sandlake, we’ll introduce you to safe fire arm handling and shooting.

Well, what do you start new shooters off with? Well a 22 obviously.

I don’t own a 22 semi auto pistol to show her the ropes on ...

Sooo

I bought a TX22 today.

It appears to be a quality pistol.

Yay me!

Congrats.....speaking of Sand Lake.....
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11041 times
    Good on you Tex. The TX22 is a perfect training tool, you may want to order another magazine as well.
    Texheim likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    41668 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Good on you Tex. The TX22 is a perfect training tool, you may want to order another magazine as well.
    Came with 2. Buy now before they become unobtainium?

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    6286 times
    I agree that to start somebody out shooting the 22 is the best pistol choice. Only trouble I had was my wife when she was alive wanted a 22 that take down an elephant. So she was not happy with anything louder that a 22.
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3287 times
    Great job! I need to pickup a TX22 for that reason also. I took some relatives from out of town to a public range here a few weeks ago. They live in a restrictive state so they were amazed with the freedom most of us have. One hadn't shot a riffle since leaving the military and the other was on the fence of anti/not anti gun. Had them shoot 22lr riffle and a friend that was there let them shoot a surpressed 45 (me too, me too)! They not only had fun but I think we've gotten two more on our side!
    muddcatt54 and jkv45 like this.
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links