which Taurus 9mm for target & competition ? .. suggestions ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

which Taurus 9mm for target & competition ? .. suggestions ??

i know 22 ammo is cheaper, but you have to use at least a 9mm for the competitions (not sanctioned) .. i have a PT111 which is great for SD .. but i need to shoot up to 25 yds accurately .. is there a gun that will shoot by itself .. .. i have no idea which one to buy .. so many toys
    Fight Crime Sh00t Back

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: which Taurus 9mm for target & competition ? .. suggestions ??

Does it have to be a Taurus?  I'd recommend the Smith & Wesson M&P, but if only looking at Taurus, then PT92/99.

Member #
    Liked
    199 times

Agreed. If you insist on Taurus 9mm, I would have to say PT92/99. Probably the 99 because of adjustable sights. I have the PT101, great gun very accurate and smooth to shoot, basically a 40 cal version of the 99.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

i went to the Taurus site and searched for PT92 & PT99 .. NO RESULTS .. is that full size frame or medium or what? .. anyone have a pic? ..
    Fight Crime Sh00t Back

Member #
    Liked
    199 times

It's full sized. It's a clone of the Beretta 92 (civilian version of the M9). Taurus bought the Brazilian Beretta factory built to produce M9s for the Brazilian military. They also acquired all of the equipment and blueprints that were in it. They continued to make the gun with some minor changes under the Taurus name.

Don't know why the gun isn't on their site... I know they are still selling it, because I see it all the time in stores.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i i HAD to buy a taurus auto-loader to do this the pt1911 would be my first pick.

second pick would be either the 24/7 OSS or the pt92 type pistol.

now i don't know for a fact that the 24/7 OSS can do this but i suspect it can.

the same for taurus 92--if it shoots as good as the FS92 25 yards should be no problem at all.

Member #
    Liked
    283 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sh00tn butt
    i went to the Taurus site and searched for PT92 & PT99 .. NO RESULTS .. is that full size frame or medium or what? .. anyone have a pic? ..
    lol never heard of the 92? you're serious are you?.. thats like the quintessential Taurus semiauto.

check out this thread you'll find a bunch of them: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=6329.0

they are akin to the beretta 92 (m9 US military sidearm)
    they're every bit of fullsize and considered heavy by todays standards.

i think the PT99 would be a good choice (IF YOU LIKE 92's) because it has adjustable sights.

other wise The OSS version of the 24/7, lighter (poly gun) striker fired.
    that might be a good choice for you.. they're cheaper then the 92's also..

the OSS version has a longer slide/barrel which would probably be advantageous in competition.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/48843
    If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I can personally attest to the accuracy of the 92/99. What a great gun. I posted a CHL class recently where my 92 chewed the center out of a standard FBI silhouette target. My 45 did even better, but I got a 250/250 with the 92 .

I also got lucky and used it for my Army pistol qualification. My 1SG saw it and decided it was close enough to a Beretta that I could use it for my quals. Nice of him to do that, and he even took a run on it and was singing its praises when he walked off the range.

If I were you, I'd see if a local range has any to rent and try out. They feel and operate almost exactly like an M9/92, so you can also pick up a Beretta and see if you like it. Keep in mind that they weren't designed to be bullseye target pistols, but rather combat pistols. That being said, you can get a good one (like mine) that'll easily do double-duty.

I also discovered my sights on my 92 were regulated for 124gr NATO rounds. Slightly over-pressure and heavier than the 115 grain rounds that I normally use. They actually gave me tighter groups and hit the target EXACTLY at POA.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics of whatever gun you end up with!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/48843

this is that one of those special sale priced 9mm 24/7 OSS we have been talking about.

they got others on sale like 45s and 40s for about the same price. if i hadn't bought one in 45 i would have got one in 40. i got a few 9mm but i ain't all wild about it other than it is a little cheaper than 40!

i don't know yet if the OSS with it's 5-1/4" barrel is as accurate as the 92s but i have been hearing some good reports.

many times a pistol will shoot one kind of ammo poorly and then shoot another load very accurately.

with any pistol you may have to check it out with several brands , weights and bullet types to find the one the pistol can print the bulls-eye with.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

i guess i really don't have to buy another Taurus .. i have 4 already .. so what is out there besides the Smith & Wesson M&P .. i am open to suggestions ..
    i really want one that can be cleaned as easily as my Tauri if possible .. loved my Ruger .. just hated cleaning it .. fussy ain't i ..
    Fight Crime Sh00t Back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links