Taurus Firearm Forum banner

PT 92 C specs vs PT 92 specs

9K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Allhands 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a chance to buy a PT 92 C. Does anyone know for sure the differences between the 92 C and the 92?
I know the grip is shorter so flush magazines are 12 round I think.
Is the barrel shorter as well?

I like my PT 99 for carry but would like a compact version of it for carry as well.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
My 2 Cents

#2 ·
You used to be able to get the data sheets from all the old Taurus guns from their web site. Unfortunately when they redesigned it a few months ago they dropped all that good old information...pictures, manuals, data sheets, etc. I've seen my share of software developers and web developers who don't see the value of anything over a year old.

#3 ·
#7 ·
Do not have a PT92 but the gun in my avatar is a PT92C. Yes the barrel and slide are shorter as is the grip. A 15 round mag extends out of the bottom of the C by about 1/2". I know because I have one in mine right now. I love mine and it won't be going anywhere soon. Unless it's with me to the range.

#11 ·
It went for $310. It was blue. A previous owner had engraved or scratched their name in large letters on the underside of it which always drops the value. I made a bid a couple of days before and checked it 18 minutes before close and I was the only bidder. Someone bid in the last few minutes, and I happened to be driving across town at the time. My bad. lol. IMO, that's about right for the condition of the piece. I will find another one.

#12 ·
I have both. Stainless 92, which is 2 years new and a blued 92C. Both are excellent. The 92C is very difficult to find magazines for....at least the OEM style 12 round mags. I lucked out and found a few for a reasonable price some years back. I believe I bought mine in 2015 for $299 with two magazines and a case. It looked like it was never fired. It's a keeper.

#16 ·
Grips PT 92C, PT 58.
Well, I've been looking on Ebay and some Taurus grip web sites and they are advertising PT 58 and PT92C grips as the same grip. Exceptions are decocker vs safety, as usual. So, that helps some and I'm hoping one of you guys can confirm. Thanks again.

#22 ·
I'm pumped about this acquisition; PT 92C. It came with a factory 12 rnd mag and my 18 rnd mags fit. It fits very well in my IWB holster. I will go thru it similar to what I did with the 99 so it will be a nice Fall/Winter project. Mild trigger job, new grips (if I can find some), probably a refinish with non-glare finish of some kind for low maintenance. Polish and chamfer the chamber and ramp, new springs where needed, work on the rear sight a little, recrown the barrel, etc, etc. Fun stuff for me.

#24 ·
The most difficult thing is finding 12 Rd magazines for the 92C. Mine came with 2 but l lucked out and found 2more on eBay that the seller conveniently mistook for 10 rounders.

Reactions: kmw1954
#23 ·
Nice purchase! Congrats, looking forward to the range report and the subsequent tweaks.

#25 ·
It would take something very special for me to give up my 92C.

#27 ·
MODS:
Just a thought. I don't see much info on the PT-92C except on this thread. Any thoughts to making it a sticky or starting a new PT-92C thread under the PT-92 and copying some information and pics from this thread? I would hate to see this information lost is all. I am willing to put some effort in. Thank you for your time.
J

#28 ·
The compact version of the PT92 that interests me the most is the PT917.
Would like to find one, someday, but I now have a Mid-Size Tanfoglio/Armscor/RIA MAP1 that fills the bill.

Taurus PT917

#31 · (Edited)
I have a 917 that I bought three or four years ago from a competitive shooter who used it as his backup pistol. Love it. Holds plenty of rounds but has been fitted with adjustable rear and front sights which limits how I can carry it. Here is what it looked like in the ad when I bought it. The mags are professionally milled Beretta M9 mags:
The guy had removed the safety so when I replaced it, I tricked it out just a little.

Attachments

Reactions: jwc007
#29 ·
I like the looks of the 917, never held one. I really like the dovetail front sight but my preference is no rail on a CCW piece. Different strokes.
What I really don't understand is why Taurus doesn't come back out with the 92C or at least the slides and put them on a full size 92 frame. That would not take much effort, IMO, and they already have the tooling.

#30 · (Edited)
Tooling wears out and has to be replaced when it does, often at the cost of many thousands of dollars..or reals..or yuan..whatever..:) The bean counters get with the marketing folks and determine if the payback is there before spending the denaro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.