Just bought a pt908 but... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Just bought a pt908 but...

Member #
    Liked
    30487 times
    I can think of one realistic scenario in which a magazine "blowing the bottom out" wouldn't make me at least send the pistol to a smith for a checkup. That's a manufacturing defect in the base plate. All other scenarios are like buying a car with a brand new valve train! Cams, cam chain, springs, the works! Yay! ....???

Hope I'm way off base, aznboi.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    18989 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I can think of one realistic scenario in which a magazine "blowing the bottom out" wouldn't make me at least send the pistol to a smith for a checkup. That's a manufacturing defect in the base plate. All other scenarios are like buying a car with a brand new valve train! Cams, cam chain, springs, the works! Yay! ....???

Hope I'm way off base, aznboi.
    Good point. I hadn't really thought of a defective magazine in that regard but it could happen. If that was the case it would be a new one for me but then I haven't been around guns all my life like so many folks here have been. I hope the OP comes back with more info.

Member #
    Liked
    19034 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aznboi3644 View Post
    I cannot find a factory magazine online for a decent price. I got the gun for what I think is a deal ($125) considering it’s in good shape but has no magazine with it. The original magazine blew the bottom out.

Does anyone know if a source for magazines? Does Mac gar make mags for it?
    Sending you a PM,
    loudviking likes this.
    In an effort to remain Politically, Socially and Humanly Correct: Please take everything I say with a grain of salt, understanding that I mean to NOT offend any individual, group, sect, affiliation, real or fictitious in nature.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25796 times
    I cannot find a factory magazine online for a decent price. I got the gun for what I think is a deal ($125) considering it’s in good shape but has no magazine with it. The original magazine blew the bottom out.

Does anyone know if a source for magazines? Does Mac gar make mags for it?

ahh same old dance just to a different tune!
    sadly magazines are extremely hard to find for this and many taurus models.
    jonrjen and CaptainMorgan like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    25796 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    That is a great price on the pistol.

How? Why? No doubt I may be wrong but something bad happened in the chamber to blow out the bottom of the magazine! As far as I know magazines don't typically just blow out the bottom plate.
    ahh umm_ actually the main reason that I carry an extra magazine for my semi autos (most of which are 13 + round capacity), is because there is always the possibility that with a magazine with a removable floor plate all the guts (including ammo) can drop out of the bottom if the base plate comes free.
    kind of interesting if you have ever seen that happen as well!
    Kind of like you gun ate some bad Mexican food and had a belly ache if you know hat I mean?
    I am always extra careful when reassembling my mags after cleaning for this very reason.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    25796 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brojohn View Post
    A ruptured case can do that.
    dropping mags on a hard floor can damage the floor plate or bend the retaining section of the metal mag body, as well as not installing the floor plate on the mag body after cleaning.

Member #
    Liked
    741 times
    To clear things up the mag didn’t not technically “blow out the bottom”. The guy said the bottom of the mag basically failed and just broke and the guts came flying out.

I’ll wait for the gunmagwarehouse to come back in stock

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30379 times
    To clear things up the mag didn’t not technically “blow out the bottom”. The guy said the bottom of the mag basically failed and just broke and the guts came flying out.

I’ll wait for the gunmagwarehouse to come back in stock
    I'm betting he dropped the mag a lot on concrete while practicing reloads...cracked the base plate. When I practice, I do it on my back yard range in the grass. I've always been a might wary about dropping mags on a hard surface.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    25796 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I'm betting he dropped the mag a lot on concrete while practicing reloads...cracked the base plate. When I practice, I do it on my back yard range in the grass. I've always been a might wary about dropping mags on a hard surface.

a cheap rubber door mat can work wonders IF one is on a hard surface (like concrete) to put under you where the mags drop when practicing mag changes.
    the cheap ones roll up nicely and aren't to heavy either.

Member #
    Liked
    6069 times
    Gun Mag warehouse is were I go for mags.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links