TX22 slide locking back on partial magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: TX22 slide locking back on partial magazine

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

TX22 slide locking back on partial magazine

Hello, gents! First post here, hoping for some advice.

I recently bought a TX22, my first Taurus. I bought it as a trainer for my full-bore striker pistols, as the trigger, grip, and wonderful 16-round magazine capacity make it very similar to them.

So far, I have 776 trouble free rounds through it, with one exception: after the first few hundred rounds, the gun has occasionally started locking open on a partial magazine. I have been able to replicate the issue under the following conditions:

*Clean
    *Dirty
    *Different magazines
    *Different ammo (Federal automatch and CCI minimags)
    *Tight grip
    *Loose grip
    *Rapid fire
    *Slow fire

The only time the slide didn't lock open for an extended number of rounds was during 1 handed fire. I had the theory that I was pushing on the slide stop during shooting, but the issue still occurred when I was shooting slowly and being very cognizant of keeping my hands away from the slide stop.

I disassembled the gun and inspected the mechanism and couldn't find any reason why it would do this. I did notice the magazine will move slightly when inserted and will auto-forward the slide if inserted with force or even if it is smacked hard on the bottom of the mag while the mag is already fully inserted, so my current theory is that the mag is moving under recoil and interacting with the slide stop.

Has anybody else experienced this issue and, if so, do they have a fix for it? I'd really rather not send it in to Taurus because, frankly, it's become my favorite .22 pistol and I don't want to be without it.

Thanks, gents.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I am new here too - also have a new TX22. Have about 500 through mine and have not had failure to lock on empty or to lock with rounds still in a magazine. But premature lock back could be caused by a weak slide stop spring which allows the slide stop to jump up during recoil. Of course 22lr is not snappy. I am handling my TX22 with slide removed and working the slide stop. It feels like a very light spring, maybe yours is just a bit weak. Mine is a little gritty but seems well fit between the plastic frame and the fire control housing.

Member #
    Liked
    19035 times
    First thing is Howdy! Second is I don't own a TX22 but I'd like to share a couple thoughts.

You did cover the bases pretty well! I still might give some consideration to the shooter bumping the slide lock lever even though you covered that. Maybe have someone else shoot the gun and see if the problem persists.

Second thing is to super clean the slide catch and any associated springs. Get your favorite spray can of cleaner and hose it down real well. Then use some air pressure to blow everything out really well. If the problem persists maybe it's time to contact Taurus. And don't wait too long to contact them, I think the free shipping expires after 90 days. Hopefully some folks with more knowledge on the subject will come along and help you.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by unclenunzie View Post
    premature lock back could be caused by a weak slide stop spring which allows the slide stop to jump up during recoil. Of course 22lr is not snappy. I am handling my TX22 with slide removed and working the slide stop. It feels like a very light spring, maybe yours is just a bit weak. Mine is a little gritty but seems well fit between the plastic frame and the fire control housing.
    It does feel like a light spring, so I will investigate this farther. I think I can devise a way to add more resistance to it temporarily to check if that is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    First thing is Howdy! Second is I don't own a TX22 but I'd like to share a couple thoughts.

You did cover the bases pretty well! I still might give some consideration to the shooter bumping the slide lock lever even though you covered that. Maybe have someone else shoot the gun and see if the problem persists.

Second thing is to super clean the slide catch and any associated springs. Get your favorite spray can of cleaner and hose it down real well. Then use some air pressure to blow everything out really well.
    Thank you for the welcome, sir! I will see if the issue persists with a second shooter, but I will say that I had the issue while holding the gun in a CAR stance that kept all parts of both hands well away from the slide stop.

I forgot to mention that I did fire about 30 rounds of CCI Standard, 24 rounds of Federal Hunter Match, and 6 rounds of CCI Velociter through the gun with no issue. Those are small numbers compared to the automatch and minimags, but it has been locking back once or twice every 2 magazines (32 rounds), so I would have expected to see an issue.

When I cleaned it, I did thoroughly clean around the slide stop. I did not use air, but I did douse the area with cleaner and scrub it (including between the slide stop and the frame) with a nylon brush, then forced a thin piece of cloth into those areas to pick up the carbon buildup.

Tomorrow, I'll experiment some more and see if I can resolve the issue. Thank you for the replies!
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19035 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eGunslinger View Post
    It does feel like a light spring, so I will investigate this farther. I think I can devise a way to add more resistance to it temporarily to check if that is the issue.

Thank you for the welcome, sir! I will see if the issue persists with a second shooter, but I will say that I had the issue while holding the gun in a CAR stance that kept all parts of both hands well away from the slide stop.

I forgot to mention that I did fire about 30 rounds of CCI Standard, 24 rounds of Federal Hunter Match, and 6 rounds of CCI Velociter through the gun with no issue. Those are small numbers compared to the automatch and minimags, but it has been locking back once or twice every 2 magazines (32 rounds), so I would have expected to see an issue.

When I cleaned it, I did thoroughly clean around the slide stop. I did not use air, but I did douse the area with cleaner and scrub it (including between the slide stop and the frame) with a nylon brush, then forced a thin piece of cloth into those areas to pick up the carbon buildup.

Tomorrow, I'll experiment some more and see if I can resolve the issue. Thank you for the replies!
    I was just kind of winding it with a couple thoughts but it looks like you do have the bases covered. Good luck and keep us posted.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    I disassembled the gun and inspected the mechanism and couldn't find any reason why it would do this. I did notice the magazine will move slightly when inserted and will auto-forward the slide if inserted with force or even if it is smacked hard on the bottom of the mag while the mag is already fully inserted, so my current theory is that the mag is moving under recoil and interacting with the slide stop.

Has anybody else experienced this issue and, if so, do they have a fix for it? I'd really rather not send it in to Taurus because, frankly, it's become my favorite .22 pistol and I don't want to be without it.

Thanks, gents.
    Welcome.

There is a video on YouTube, and a post somewhere, discussing your issue.

In the replies to the post there is some info about a possible cause and solution.

If I can find it I'll post a link, but I believe you are on the right track.

rws
    Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    Welcome.

There is a video on YouTube, and a post somewhere, discussing your issue.

In the replies to the post there is some info about a possible cause and solution.

If I can find it I'll post a link, but I believe you are on the right track.
    here's the video link you found and posted in early April...is this the one you were thinking about?

jkv45 likes this.

rws
    Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    The only time the slide didn't lock open for an extended number of rounds was during 1 handed fire. I had the theory that I was pushing on the slide stop during shooting, but the issue still occurred when I was shooting slowly and being very cognizant of keeping my hands away from the slide stop.

Notice how the slide latch lever interfaces with the magazine (red arrow - I also loaded cartridges to take the follower out of the equation). The lever lays on a notch in the magazine. If the magazine moves around it will move this lever. Blue arrow shows back of lever which engages the slide to hold it open. Now play the video to see how the magazine can move the lever. If the lever can be moved enough it will catch and hold the slide open. A slight upward bend of the tab (red arrow) on lever which rests on magazine would take out enough of this movement preventing the lever from catching the slide....while still allowing the magazine follower to do its job of pushing the lever up on an empty magazine.

Shooting one handed your hand is not putting any pressure on the magazine causing movement pushing up on the slide latch. Shooting 2 handed does.

Last edited by rws; 05-09-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    Alfonse and darbo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rws View Post
    here's the video link you found and posted in early April...is this the one you were thinking about?
    Thanks - that's it.

I didn't recall exactly which video it was, I've posted a few.

Looks like you have the problem figured out. I've never had that happen, but if I do I know where to look - thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Alright gents, I fixed it. Thank you to JKV45 and RWS for finding that video for me, too.

I simply cut a thin strip of 3M duct tape and looped it around the slide stop arm. A single strip creates enough resistance to completely overcome the spring tension of the slide stop spring, meaning you can't slingshot the slide. The follower can still engage the slide stop and you can still easily disengage it with your thumb.

I just ran through 100 rounds of the problematic Federal automatch and had no issues. It appears the problem was a too light spring after all.

Thank you lovely people for your assistance, and I hope I get to return it in kind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    jkv45 and darbo like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links