Cleaning the lead or copper from barrel of TX22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleaning the lead or copper from barrel of TX22

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Cleaning the lead or copper from barrel of TX22

I bought a TX22 the other day and went to the range to shoot it yesterday. I shot around 250 rounds of CCI .22LR ammo during the time I was there. I had to adjust the sights to get it dialed in and began to fire at metal targets. The more I shot it the more I started missing the metal discs I was shooting at and I finally had to lay it down to let it cool off. I wasn't rapid fire shooting it, just a normal rate of fire. I would lay it down and reload my magazines slowly and begin to fire again. Well I looked at the end of the barrel and there were pieces of what looked like lead in the end of the barrel. I packed up all my stuff and came home. I attempted to run .22 cal bore brush down the barrel to clean the barrel and it went in about an inch and wouldn't go any further. I had to tap the rod and brush through the barrel with a rubber hammer to get it out. I had to do this 3 times before I could finally do it by hand. I still don't know if I got all of the lead or copper out of the barrel. Anybody else have this problem?

wbw
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I don't think that I have that problem, but have you read the treads about 'chattering' in the rifling of these barrels? I think the chattering would cause more junk to accumulate in the barrel. Mine seems to work fine, but I do have the chattering.

Check those threads if you haven't.
    olfarhors likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31061 times
    I don't know if they make it in .22 caliber, but I have a 9mm/.38 brush made to take leading out of a bore. It's sold by Outers and I got mine at Walmart.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    NT I can barely get the regular bronze brush down the barrel. If it's any stiffer than that don't think it would work. Thanks for the heads up , I'll look for one.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I did WBW. I have a bore light but I can't tell anything about the rifling. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I called Taurus got a shipping label and Fed Ex'd my TX22 to Florida no charge. They received it today and notified me with a email. Could be up to 12 weeks till something happens. Don't really care about that as long as it's repaired. The young lady that I talked to at Taurus was very friendly and answered all my questions. We'll see what happens.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    My barrel has a few streaks that go in the direction of the grooves. Looks like lead deposits but I've only fired 16 rounds of CCI Mini Mag through it since I got it 6 weeks ago. Just to be sure I ran a bore brush through it 4 times with Hoppe's 9 & streaks are still there. I'm thinking it won't be a problem, we'll see. But until I get the front sight problem fixed it stays in the safe. My $299.95 paperweight.
    parker likes this.
    (2) Ruger .38 LCR
    Taurus 66 with Hogue grips (my avatar)
    Taurus TX22
    SIG P290RS
    SIG P250 45 acp
    SIG P250 SC 9mm
    Beretta Pico .380
    Ruger 22/45 .22

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Jim, I couldn't even get a bore brush down the barrel after I put 250 rounds through it.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    I called Taurus got a shipping label and Fed Ex'd my TX22 to Florida no charge. They received it today and notified me with a email. Could be up to 12 weeks till something happens. Don't really care about that as long as it's repaired. The young lady that I talked to at Taurus was very friendly and answered all my questions. We'll see what happens.
    Mine was malfunctioning on the third or fourth round in all three of my magazines. Sent it back to Taurus and was told 12 weeks, I got it back in 10 day's. They polished the chamber and replaced the magazine springs. 500 plus rounds through it with NO malfunctions which is amazing because you almost can count on .22 ammunition not going off for one reason or another about 2 to 4 percent of the time. Some of this stuff I fired was pretty old Remington Golden Bullets. I've been watching for leading or bore "Chattering?" (never heard of that before) but the rifling's fine. Good Luck.

rws
    Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoF123 View Post
    Mine was malfunctioning on the third or fourth round in all three of my magazines. Sent it back to Taurus and was told 12 weeks, I got it back in 10 day's. They polished the chamber and replaced the magazine springs. 500 plus rounds through it with NO malfunctions which is amazing because you almost can count on .22 ammunition not going off for one reason or another about 2 to 4 percent of the time. Some of this stuff I fired was pretty old Remington Golden Bullets. I've been watching for leading or bore "Chattering?" (never heard of that before) but the rifling's fine. Good Luck.
    Polishing the chamber and replacing the mag springs had nothing to do with fixing your feeding problems. You were not loading the magazines correctly. Re-read your previous posts if you have forgotten that.

Bore chattering is not something you watch for to happen. It is caused at the time the barrel is rifled at the factory by improper tooling and/or machining process.

Last edited by rws; 04-30-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links