TX 22 and barrel issues - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: TX 22 and barrel issues

Supporting Vendor

Member #
    Liked
    848 times
    Ok, had to have a look. Without getting out magnification, the example I have looks more even than the photos. The rifling is fairly shallow without the deeper grooves. But, with my eyes I will have to get out a measuring loupe to tell much more.

https://lakelinellc.com/

Parts and Accessories for Pistols

rws
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times

the camera can only focus on a small area....here's a shot at the muzzle end

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

YouTube video from muzzle end (click the YouTube logo on right bottom bar to see larger view)
    Video shows rifling a little farther down the barrel than the still photo above.

Last edited by rws; 04-13-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    rws, It doesn't appear that the lands & grooves are different relative to one another, but the chatter and surface quality is pretty bad. If you are not happy with it I would send it back and ask for a replacement. If the pistol shoots well I would not worry about it and just shoot it.

The overall quality of barrels/bores over the last 20-years has gone to hell across the board with most all firearms.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Al, only from the perspective of learning something and only using this situation as a generic example, could you explain how something like this can happen? I don't mean the chatter marks but how can the lands be cut so that they don't start out at the same "height".

I'm trying to understand this from a machining/manufacturing process and I'm not gettin' it. ��

RWS how does yours shoot? As I've said earlier, mine shoots one inch groups at 15 yards off a bag until it gets pretty dirty and that's with all the different brands I've used.

I shot 15 rounds of CCI Tactical (plated bullets) through it when I was shooting it for groups and they shot into an inch like everything else. I'd use them but problem is I go through around 500 rounds a week and the plated bullets definitely cost more than the straight lead bullets. Anyway,I'm not convinced it would make that much of a difference as the bullets aren't jacketed they're plated and it's pretty thin. I'd be curious to hear if other folks (other than the already mentioned) who saw leading decrease after using plated bullets.

RWS just saw your pics after posting-WOW! Mine looks NOTHING like that and if mine did I'd be trying to get my foot up their you know what all day long on the phone. They should be EMBARRASSED that they let that one out the door!
    Copterdrvr
    Last edited by copterdrvr; 04-13-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Skids are for Kids!

rws
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by copterdrvr View Post
    Al, only from the perspective of learning something and only using this situation as a generic example, could you explain how something like this can happen? I don't mean the chatter marks but how can the lands be cut so that they don't start out at the same "height".

I'm trying to understand this from a machining/manufacturing process and I'm not gettin' it. ��

RWS how does yours shoot? As I've said earlier, mine shoots one inch groups at 15 yards off a bag until it gets pretty dirty and that's with all the different brands I've used.
    My guess would be the chamber was not cut concentric to the bore...being off center is why you see the start of the land high on one side and hardly noticeable 180° across from it.

Haven't shot mine off the bench for accuracy yet...just been plinking with it...snow has kept me from using my range.

I'll be contacting Taurus on Monday to resolve the barrel situation.

Last edited by rws; 04-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Once again, great camera work and if you send them the picture of your barrel and they don't APOLOGIZE, that does not speak well for the "new" Taurus. I can honestly say that is by far the worst looking, new manufacture, "modern" barrel I've ever seen.

If they don't just drop a barrel in a box and mail it to you first class and IMMEDIATELY, they are way wrong.

Copterdrvr
    rws likes this.
    Skids are for Kids!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I took the weapon out last week to see if would shoot the worst of the worst. Thunderbolt. It did. 300 rounds and 1 failure to eject. When I got back to the bench to clean the weapon the barrel looked like a old shot out pos. After Hoppes, Balistol and nearly an hour it was finally clean, but no more Thunderbolts. I will go back to Federal white box and CCI.

wbw
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I just checked mine. I've got the chattering. Is it affecting my accuracy? Who knows.
    My serial number is PT0074xx. My local gun store got it from Davidson's about three weeks ago.

Supporting Vendor

Member #
    Liked
    848 times
    Quote Originally Posted by copterdrvr View Post

I shot 15 rounds of CCI Tactical (plated bullets) through it when I was shooting it for groups and they shot into an inch like everything else. I'd use them but problem is I go through around 500 rounds a week and the plated bullets definitely cost more than the straight lead bullets. Anyway,I'm not convinced it would make that much of a difference as the bullets aren't jacketed they're plated and it's pretty thin. I'd be curious to hear if other folks (other than the already mentioned) who saw leading decrease after using plated bullets.

RWS just saw your pics after posting-WOW! Mine looks NOTHING like that and if mine did I'd be trying to get my foot up their you know what all day long on the phone. They should be EMBARRASSED that they let that one out the door!
    Copterdrvr
    I don't know how they rifle these barrels. If they are "button rifled" this is a good link about the process: https://absolutemachine.com/what-is-button-rifling/

There is a rifling button and a finishing button. They can sometimes be on the same tool. I haven't seen this process, but a defect in either tool could cause such a thing. If the barrel hardness wasn't uniform for some reason, that might cause issues too.

Most .22s I an aware of how they are made are button rifled.
    Last edited by Alfonse; 04-14-2019 at 08:04 PM.

https://lakelinellc.com/

Parts and Accessories for Pistols

rws
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I contacted Taurus Customer Support this morning about the barrel. They provided a shipping label and I've sent the TX22 in.
    olfarhors likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links