Pt-101p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Pt-101p

Member #
    Liked
    74 times

Pt-101p

I've been looking for a PT-101P and finally found one for a great price. Has some surface rust, but 0000 steel wool and some oxpho blue if needed will take care of that. I like it becasue of the finger grooves - similar to my 917 cs. I can't find anywhere that shows the difference between the PT-101 and PT-101P besides the grooves - anyone know? I read one article that the P version might have been a special run for Academy sports only ? I see it also takes a different 16 round magazine and regular PT-101 mags don't fit becasue they are not wide enough - anyone know if they can still be found ? Thanks in advance for any help............…

taurustoter and bobbojama like this.

Member #
    Liked
    19458 times
    I can't answer any of your questions but I will say congrats on cool gun!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2826 times
    As far as I can remember, the grooves are it. Both should use the same magazine other than the compact version.

Both are adjustable sights .40 S&W.

Maloy

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    The 101 p is a slightly wider version of the 101. It holds more rounds 16 vs 11 because of the wider frame it uses an extremely hard to find model specific magazine.
    PT99AF likes this.
    Edited signature to fit guidelines....

Member #
    Liked
    5415 times
    Can you shim up the standard mags on the sides and still have the mag release work?

All the Best,
    D. White
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Member #
    Liked
    3204 times
    Nice pistol you picked up there OP!
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2721 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I've been looking for a PT-101P and finally found one for a great price. Has some surface rust, but 0000 steel wool and some oxpho blue if needed will take care of that. I like it becasue of the finger grooves - similar to my 917 cs. I can't find anywhere that shows the difference between the PT-101 and PT-101P besides the grooves - anyone know? I read one article that the P version might have been a special run for Academy sports only ? I see it also takes a different 16 round magazine and regular PT-101 mags don't fit becasue they are not wide enough - anyone know if they can still be found ? Thanks in advance for any help............…
    Congrats! You got yourself a good one there. You already seem to have all the available info. It was an Academy Sports special, but mechanically all other PT parts are interchangeable. EXCEPT - The only differences are in the grip (grooves and width), and the mags are special and nearly impossible to find. While searching sites like gunbroker, guntrader, etc. be sure to confirm the 'P' designation on the mag. There are some 16 round, extended mags for the regular 101, but they won't work unless you want to follow the previous shimming suggestion. Also, be sure to read the details of regular 101 mags listed for sale, I have seen several listed as regular 101 mags, but they were P (sometimes the owner/broker doesn't really know what they have). Scanning the tables at local shows will probably work best, as long as you don't run into hi-cap mag bans.

I was lucky years ago to get two 101Ps and several extra mags, to go with the 917s, and PT58HC, all the finger-groovy ones.

P.S.
    I almost forgot... Call Taurus customer service. While the mags aren't listed on the site, they may be able to order for you. It may take time and cost more, but still better than not having. Personally, I always like to have at least 5 mags per pistol.
    Last edited by Zylo_X; 01-01-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    Native Floridian by birth, TEXAN by choice, Conservative by God and education.

Member #
    Liked
    3574 times
    The "P" stands for Pudgy. The grip was patterned after some of our members.
    Live what you say you believe.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    No luck with Taurus. Called them and the customer service rep had never heard of the P model and said they had 101 mags and they should fit. I let him know the 101 and 101-p were different guns with different mags. He said there were 16 round 101 mags and they should fit - I again let him know they would not Looks like I will just have to keep looking at gun shows, etc. and hopefully stumble upon one or two some day ………………………..

Member #
    Liked
    2721 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    No luck with Taurus. Called them and the customer service rep had never heard of the P model and said they had 101 mags and they should fit. I let him know the 101 and 101-p were different guns with different mags. He said there were 16 round 101 mags and they should fit - I again let him know they would not Looks like I will just have to keep looking at gun shows, etc. and hopefully stumble upon one or two some day ………………………..
    Hopefully this will help. I couldn't find one still in the Taurus package with SKU, but this IS the correct mag, with P designation. Don't let the PT100 number scare you. The 100 had fixed sights, the 101 adjustable. Just like the PT92 is fixed sights, and the 99 is adjustable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    PreacherRodgers likes this.
    Native Floridian by birth, TEXAN by choice, Conservative by God and education.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links