Has anyone tried to put in a new front sight - I hate the current front sight!
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Has anyone tried to put in a new front sight - I hate the current front sight!

I'm going crazy waiting for someone to make some new night sights for the Taurus pt709, there must be some front sight, that works (even though its for another model), a big dot xs sight would be awesome. That's what this little gun needs- a big golf ball that glows at night. If anyone has from XS sights is out there- build it and they will sell.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Has anyone tried to put in a new front sight - I hate the current front sight!

I agree, the front sight isn't my favorite either ! I have talked to HIVIZ but they haven't decided to build them just yet. They need to hear more requests from 709 owners. I recomended to them to contact Taurus for the numbers sold. I think the 709 is a hit, and will stay up on the list for CCW. I took mine off to see how it was made as I was thinking about cutting one. It is really a pain to mill something that small with worn out equipment. The oval piece protruding from the base of the sight requires hand fiting to the slide. I'm thinking a Glock front could be fitted to it but haven't had time to research it yet. If anyone finds something that will work , please post it so we can give it a try. I have also hit up most of the laser makers, but no good so far ! I do know Crimson Trace is bringing out a model for the TCP pretty soon. So they skipped around the 709. Just my luck ! If I needed dog poop there would be a shortage....

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Has anyone tried to put in a new front sight - I hate the current front sight!

I have not had /taken enough time to put enough rounds through my 709 after cranking the rear sight all the way to the right and up due to the way it was shooting out of the box. I am concerned all of the adjustments will not be enough to shoot poa, and wondering what I can do short of sending it back to Taurus to fix it.
    Tell me, have I been here before?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1197 times

1911Lover, Which ammo are you using? If 115 grain, try 124 grain. My PT92 was shooting low and slightly left with 115s. I switched to 124s, and now it's fine. Those are what are recommended in my manual for the 92.
    PT-92
    PT-908
    M-96
    M-605

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Has anyone tried to put in a new front sight - I hate the current front sigh

Quote Originally Posted by 1911lover
    I have not had /taken enough time to put enough rounds through my 709 after cranking the rear sight all the way to the right and up due to the way it was shooting out of the box. I am concerned all of the adjustments will not be enough to shoot poa, and wondering what I can do short of sending it back to Taurus to fix it.
    Before you do send it back, check my "Back from the Range" Report.https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=31627.0

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have shot 115, 124 and 135 gr. loads. They all shot left and low to varying degrees. My poa was not the standard six o'clock hold, but rather the center of the bull.

I have also loosened the rear sight screw each time I adjusted the windage and elevation screws. Just in case though, I will loosen to where I feel it is completely loose when I put some more rounds through it.

If I can get it to the nine o'clock spot on the target that will be ok by me rather then sending it away for who knows how long. It is not a major problem, and I find it more curious then anything else.

The gun is for self defense at short distances. If some of the 709s shoot very accurately to poa as some have reported her I think that is very good, but I do not require that in a "fighting gun". The groups are good, but may require a little "kentucky windage" when all is said and done. Easily remedied.

Thanks to you who posted suggestions/advice as I do appreciate it.
    Tell me, have I been here before?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

If you look closer at the rear sight , or take it off , you will see that the center screw only locks the sight base down. It doesn't have anything to do with adjustment unless the screw was put in wrong at Taurus and caught the top part of the sight to keep it from adjusting up. Both my 709s do shoot a little lower than I like (one 3" and the other about 6". But the windage is good. Sometimes companies will make front sights of varying heigths for that problem. You could check with Taurus cs. Hiviz makes a couple of sights I have seen on their site that look like they may work with a little help. A Glock 2009 has a very similar mounting boss on the bottom. It is .024 shorter and has a .050 bigger dot.They also have a Colt 1911 front with a stake on the bottom that I think could be worked to fit. I think the stake could be filed and cut and a screw hole drilled and tapped, but they don't have the measurements listed to compare it to the 709.I don't mind the evelation being off as much as I do the windage. If mine had the windage problem I would be tempted to send it back. Keep us informed !

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I'm working on putting one of these vials into my Slim's front sight , just drill a hole right into the white dot and slide the vial in with a little drop of super glue and you have a nite site , I'll let you know when I get my new vial from Bart ---- http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=194646

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links