Sights: TaurusUSA Corporate take note !!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sights: TaurusUSA Corporate take note !!

Attention Taurus USA Corporate (marketing, sales, customer service): Heine 2-dot sights as ONLY std. (no extra cost) sights not popular nor wise.

As an otherwise happy owner of two Taurus semi-autos (PT111 and 24/7), I and many others, would dearly love to see different set of sights readily available (off-the-shelf, in stock, no extra cost) from Taurus factory and distribution.

Just take a look at the numerous posts on this forum regarding changing out and modifying the Heine 2-dot sights.

Yes, it IS possible/feasible to change out the Heine 2-dot sights - BUT, at extra cost. Many of us buy Taurus for VALUE (cost vs. quality/features) and the additional the cost of changing out the Heine 2-dots makes some consider slightly higher priced competitive offerings (such as the Springfield XD, CZ equivalents, etc.).

(I am now considering the purchase of a polymer sub-compact .40 or .45 semi-auto, and the Springfield XD SC and the CZ 2075 RAMI-P are edging out the Taurus equivalents - mainly due to the sights).

Also, the like/dislike and preference/avoidance of Heine 2-dots can be subjective and can be overcome, to some extent, with practice. BUT, I and many others, own many pistols with the much more common 3-dot sights and prefer to practice, train, and familiarize with a compatible or similar set of sights so that in quick-react situations the sighting method and picture are a somewhat automatic reflex response. (I'd guess that many more customers purchase PT, MilPro, and 24/7 models for defense purposes rather than target-only purposes; quick react/response can be crucial in defense situations.)

Another lesser consideration is the Taurus design choice of sight dovetail size and configuration on the PT, MilPro and 24/7 current models. Employing a more common or more standard dovetail design would have enabled a much wider choice (and likely more economical) choice of after-market and 3rd-party replacement sights.

To paraphrase a current TV advertisement (for a headache remedy): I LOVE YOUR PRODUCT, BUT HATE YOUR SIGHTS.

Comments from other owners of Taurus pistols with Heine 2-dot sights are welcome here.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Sights: TaurusUSA Corporate take note !!

I despise the 2 dot sights on my 24/7 Pro. Ive been looking into having them changed.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. " -Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.pisnnapalm.com/O-sig2.gif

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Add me. I'm sure there is contract between taurus and heinie so this probably will do no good. I can't believe the 1911 comes with these sights.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsZO6G7dfpI
    http://www.laughingpond.com/watch.asp
    To be fair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stVmEmJ666M

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I don't get what you find problematic with the Heine 2-dot sights. What's the problem?
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Try painting the front sight( the part of the sight you see) with white model paint primer and dot the fron sight hole with orange paint using a toothpick it does wonder for your groups.
    Taurus 605 SSCH
    Taurus PT 1911
    Taurus M85
    Bersa thinder 380
    Ruger New Single Six
    Colt Diamondback
    To Many Kimbers
    To Many Colts
    AK's & AR's
    to many 22's
    Some EBR's too !

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

It's not about dots or colors for me. You have to cover your target. I want to be able to see the exact point of impact before and during the trigger pull. They are good enough to hit a silhouette but I can't group tight with them. I don't know why they would make sight design different from every other, just to be unique? Why re-invent the wheel? I'm not going to get rid of my gun but had I known before I bought it.......I may have made another choice.

The only solution is pay half the value of the gun for new sights or work on the dove tails to change them? I think it's ridiculous. Next step is filing the front sight, if that doesn't work I'll try one of the mods in the smithing section. I'm sure in given time there will be more viable solutions as manufacturers pick up on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsZO6G7dfpI
    http://www.laughingpond.com/watch.asp
    To be fair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stVmEmJ666M

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

'tain't about [target] "groups" or "problem".

Yes, with a moderate amount of practice I (and I assume others) can get reasonable accuracy from Heine 2-dots.

HOWEVER, for those of us who concealed carry (and are so licensed) and have a variety of handguns (I currently have seven and have owned over fifteen) there is an over-riding consideration: self-defense and many home defense situations happen almost instantaneously and defensive reactions are almost automatic or reflex - it takes lotsa practice to get to a reflex-response level. (Target shooters and weekend plinkers do not have this consideration).

My preferred carry guns have 3-dot sights (my Taurus 24/7 PRO with Heine 2-dots is a bit large for concealed carry for me, although some do; my PT111 is an earlier 3-dot model). As I consider new carry and self-defense handguns, I do not like the idea of having a new and unique (e.g. 2-dot) sight-picture and aiming method as part of a life-threatening self-defense scenario.

You are kidding yourself if you think a draw-assume stance-aim-fire sequence that takes over 2-seconds is a realistic scenario; have someone time you at your next range practice. Have someone run towards you while you try to draw (a FAKE weapon) when the assailant is at 25 feet from you - most won't even get to "aim", much less "fire" (this is a std. NRA CC exercise).

SO.....a Taurus semi-auto compact (e.g. Millenium PRO series) with Heine 2-dots is not something I wish to invest in for concealed carry OR self-defense AND I do not wish to expend the extra bucks to change out the sights. There are too many attractive alternatives (e.g. Springfield, CZ, etc.) to Taurus for that purpose in the same general price range.

(Besides, I just plain don't like the 2-dots for ANY purpose - my personal bias, shared by many others).

How many major firearms manufacturers (other than Taurus) offer ONLY a 2-dot sight system as standard on their handguns ???

I've been a marketing executive (Fortune 200 computer corporation) and can tell you if the world takes a right turn and someone with less than majority market-share takes a left turn (e.g. Taurus), the majority of the buyers of the world will continue right.

Taurus has learned a LOT about design and manufacturing, but has yet some to learn about marketing (such as making significant penetration of the huge military and law enforcement markets).

This post is NOT about "why I love/hate 2-dots"; it is about why not use some common sense and give your customers what they want and need.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy
    It's not about dots or colors for me. You have to cover your target. I want to be able to see the exact point of impact before and during the trigger pull.
    That about sums it up for me right there. I've only been a pistol owner for a year, so I've got a lot to learn about shooting but man those Heine sights on my pt140 are almost impossible for me to adjust to.

I think the reason the rear sight says "Heine" is just to let you know that they shoot like ass....

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

You are kidding yourself if you think a draw-assume stance-aim-fire sequence that takes over 2-seconds is a realistic scenario; have someone time you at your next range practice. Have someone run towards you while you try to draw (a FAKE weapon) when the assailant is at 25 feet from you - most won't even get to "aim", much less "fire" (this is a std. NRA CC exercise).
    Two points: if he's running at me, he's not (accurately) shooting at me and second, I'm unllikely to stand there a wait for him, even instinctively. But I've had martial arts training.
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

From shorter distances (7 yards & less), I find myself either using the front sight only, or watching the target to see where my hits are. Try it. I figure in a SD situation I won't have time to line up a clear two or three dot sight picture.

tman
    Proud, Service-Oriented, Rural LEO, or BADGED COWBOY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links