My first ever gun, I got a PT92 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: My first ever gun, I got a PT92

Member #
    Liked
    10371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldfinch View Post
    Today I made a newbie mistake and bought 150 steel Tulammo. Will it be ok for the PT92, I would imagine I am no expert?
    Quote Originally Posted by als1911 View Post
    Don't think I would use steel ammo if I were you, nothing but brass for me.....
    I would shoot the 3 boxes you purchased by mistake. But not buy any more. Nothing but brass for me too.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. Josh Billings
    One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. Bob Marley
    To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens. Adolf Hitler
    I like my whisky old and my women young. Errol Flynn

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Welcome from NE Texas, I have not had any problems firing Tul-ammo out of mine.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1905 times
    What a great choice for your first gun, I call mine Special Favorite. I have shot plenty of steel case ammo including Tula and never had a problem in my PT 92.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    thank you all for welcoming me to your community, a little update about the magazine i bought last night, greg cotte has it already shipped and given me a shipping number. That's awesome. I read everyones comments about the steel casing, I think I will give them a try but a through cleaning before and after. I will ask the ranges if they are willing if i can just pick up the casings after myself and not mix it in with their brass (I dont know if thats the reason they wont let you so they dont have to sort). I am planning on getting training even maybe the concealed carry license (that's in the future not yet) as soon as i find more ammo.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46039 times
    Let the addiction begin, my first was the PT-99 same as your PT-92 only with adjustable sights. I think these are one of the best guns out there. They generally will eat any ammo just fine. I agree with double checking with the range. The indoor ranges around be do not want steel core bullets because they can damage the bullet traps, steel cases are generally okay.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood717 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new firearm. Wise choice. I love my PT-92's.
    Attachment 61248Attachment 61249Attachment 61250
    Is it wrong of me to be in love with your collection, those look mighty nice
    Elwood717, jwc007 and btleslie like this.

Member #
    Liked
    19069 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DayzOfDarkness View Post
    Hey what is the name of the ring that goes in the frame to screw in the grip screws ? The screws were in so tight on my 92 I almost neve got them out and... one screw came out with the threaded ring stuck on it and the metal washer(demo from academy).
    Are you talking about the top screw on the drivers side? The smaller diameter screw that actually seats into a bushing under the grip and into the frame? That also holds a spring retainer in place.
    In an effort to remain Politically, Socially and Humanly Correct: Please take everything I say with a grain of salt, understanding that I mean to NOT offend any individual, group, sect, affiliation, real or fictitious in nature.

ice
    Member #
    Liked
    1211 times
    Welcome from Iowa!

Member #
    Liked
    10371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldfinch View Post
    Is it wrong of me to be in love with your collection, those look mighty nice
    Thank you. I'm pretty fond of them myself.
    jwc007 likes this.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. Josh Billings
    One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. Bob Marley
    To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens. Adolf Hitler
    I like my whisky old and my women young. Errol Flynn

Member #
    Liked
    1034 times
    I've fired steel case ammunition from a variety of semi autos I've owned: Glocks, Sigs, Ruger's, 1911's, EAA, Taurus, Beretta, etc.. I've had 0 issues with the ammo. Russian made steel cased bi-metal jacketed ammo fires dirty. After every range session, I clean my firearms so it's not an issue. The newer polymer coated steel cases don't gum up the chamber like the old production lacquer coated steel cases used to.

Ranges don't allow Russian steel case ammo because...

1. The steel cases aren't reloadable. Some ranges sell abandoned brass cases to commercial reloaders, creating a small revenue stream for range operations. The labor for separating out steel from brass eats into that revenue stream.

2. The bi-metal projectile is lead core, soft steel jacket that is copper washed. The claim is that the steel jacket eats up backstops. The most plausible reason for banning bi-metal jacket ammo is that it can spark against the backstop, and ignite range dust at the backstop.

Before I learned to reload, I used lots of Russian steel cased bi-metal jacketed ammo. I now pay a little extra for reloadable brass cases. Even if you don't reload, pick up your spent brass cases. Save them for the possibility you might reload. If you know you won't reload, save the spent brass cases for trading fodder at gun shows.
    - John
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links