Smallbore Defensive Shotgun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Smallbore Defensive Shotgun

Many folks look down their noses at the idea of a .410 shotgun for defensive uses due to the small payload and low recoil,I don't because I can see the potential that the .410 has.

The two models I'm going to be talking about are Mossberg 500E shotguns.

The DFG Mk-1 is based on the Mossberg Model 50104 Field shotgun,from the factory it came with a 24 inch ribbed barrel with a fixed full choke (Great for bird shot and #4 Buck use...poor with '000' buck and slugs),the DFG Mk-1 has a full length stock (14 inch L.O.P.) with a wooden forearm,all it took to put together the DFG Mk-1 was a barrel swap with a different model 500E (the magazine tubes for both models were the same capacity,and the barrels were a snap to change out)

The DFG Mk-2 started out as a Mossberg Model 50455,in it's original form it was a pistol grip only (Cruiser) .410 pump,with a 5 shot magazine tube (If loaded with 2-1/2 inch shells) it features an 18.5 inch Fixed cylinder choke barrel (which gives great patterns with '000' buck shot and allows for consistent slug shooting),the DFG Mk-2 also had the rear pistol grip removed and a synthetic 13.5 inch L.O.P. stock was installed.

My favorite loads for the two .410 defensive guns mentioned above are the Federal 2-1/2 inch '000' buckshot loads and the Federal 3-inch #4 Buckshot loads,the only slugs I've been able to lay hands on at the moment are the 3-inch Winchester 1/4 ounce slugs.

I have tried the Winchester PDX-1 loads but due to worries about over pressure I tend to stay clear of them for the pump action (The PDX-1 has higher weight payload than all of the loads mentioned above) I think the PDX-1 has merit but should be used in other action types (Revolvers due to venting through the B/C gap,and break action designs due to the stronger actions found with such guns)

DFG Mk-1

DFG Mk-2

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    One thing I would like to see on the Market is a Traditional design for a Defensive Autoloading .410.

8-round magazine tube (with 2-1/2 inch shells) with a 20 inch fixed cylinder choke barrel and 3-inch chamber.

I feel that such a Model would be much better than a typical sporting gun shoe horned into the defensive role.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32209 times
    Does a standard pistol grip fit on that shotgun? Probably not, but that might be a configuration that could come in handy in a defensive situation, especially with 000 buckshot.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    956 times
    I have seen the pistol grip model, at gun shows in 410. I almost bought one? But with a JUDGE, and a Bolt action 410 decided I could do better at the time.

ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    Does a standard pistol grip fit on that shotgun? Probably not, but that might be a configuration that could come in handy in a defensive situation, especially with 000 buckshot.
    It should but I've ran into a few problems with the DFG Mk-2 (too much stock wobble,which is why I'm going to send it back to the factory for a checkup)

I haven't ran into any problems with the DFG Mk-1

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I have seen the pistol grip model, at gun shows in 410. I almost bought one? But with a JUDGE, and a Bolt action 410 decided I could do better at the time.
    To each their own,but the DFG Mk-1 should do very well for you if you would like to give it a try.

I have been thinking about getting a few single shot .410's and having a gun smith do some barrel work on them (Cut them down and square them up to 18.5 inches,then either reset the factory beads or add something like an XS Front bead to both).

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012
    Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    824 times
    I wouldn't look down my nose at a .410 for home defense, but for a long trip vehicle gun, I would prefer a 12 or a 20.

I've hunted deer with a borrowed .410 side by side and loved the handling characteristics. I have owned three .410 single shots and the recoil was much more bearable than a single-shot 12.
    Last edited by Big Ugly Tall Texan; 06-24-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ugly Tall Texan View Post
    I wouldn't look down my nose at a .410 for home defense, but for a long trip vehicle gun, I would prefer a 12 or a 20.

I've hunted deer with a borrowed .410 side by side and loved the handling characteristics. I have owned three .410 single shots and the recoil was much more bearable than a single-shot 12.
    That was one of the reasons for going with the .410 (Due to a laundry list of injuries from a wreck I had in 2005) plus the .410 is a gauge that more members of a Family unit (at least the members of a family that can shoulder a long gun) can safely use and operate.

Nothing against the 12 or 20 gauge guns btw (I have owned and used them before for years and they get nothing but respect in my book)

Member #
    Liked
    3102 times
    My wife owns one of the Mossberg .410's that's a home defense model with a pistol grip on the fore end and a regular buttstock. It's a formidable weapon with buckshot, no doubt about it.
    Resist much, obey little. Walt Whitman

Semper Fi

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyluke View Post
    My wife owns one of the Mossberg .410's that's a home defense model with a pistol grip on the fore end and a regular buttstock. It's a formidable weapon with buckshot, no doubt about it.
    Glad to hear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links