Sub 2K minor malfunction
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Sub 2K minor malfunction

Member #
    Liked
    41569 times

Sub 2K minor malfunction

I bought a Kel Tec Sub 2000 40 cal in May of 2011 with the intention of it being my short range (sub 100 yard) hog gun. I swapped out the forend with a higher quality one that would allow me to mount optics and maintain the ability to fold the gun; this is what I wound up with:

Name:  IMG_0774.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  76.2 KB

I've put about 700 round thru this baby and it's very accurate and was reliable.

Yesterday I ran across a hog and from about 30 yards, put a bead on his, turned out to be a her, shoulder and squeezed off a round right on target. I re-assed the situation and went to make a follow up shot and all of a sudden I was holding 2 pieces of carbine:

Name:  IMG_0779-1.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  216.1 KB

Yeah, I'm fine and I was shooting Winchester white box 180 grain factory ammo and the first shot I fired didn't have any feeding or ejecting issues.
    I'm lucky and needless to say I drank plenty of single malt last night simply celebrating life.

Name:  IMG_0781.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  168.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0778.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0783.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  154.7 KB

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    35832 times
    Ouch.
    Thanks for the report.
    The sub-2000 has been on my wish list for a long time. I will be reassessing that.
    Could you give more details about exactly what failed? Thanks.
    I mean I can see that the casting(?) failed, but I'm not familiar with the gun. Does the part that failed have to do with the folding? Or is it just a solid part of the receiver?
    Kel-Tec does have a good warranty, so I'm sure they'll fix it. But I bet you have a hard time shooting it again!

Glad you're OK.
    Last edited by MadKaw; 01-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    unbrokenfall likes this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Holy Sheep!! I've never seen anything like that before. OTOH KelTec customer service is top-flight and you'll get a new bacon buster out of the experience.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    Why aren't there any cheap hobbies?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    41569 times
    The solid part failed, not the folding mechanism and in the pictures and more clearly in person the break is very smooth not rough. And like I said I wasn't using re-loaded or "hot" rounds. It's surreal because when it happened I turned around and the first words out of my mouth to my father where "I'm lucky to be alive" he thought I was talking about a ricochet.

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Molon Labe
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Member #
    Liked
    41569 times
    I bought it in May 2011 and still have the receipt but regardless I'm sure they'll replace it I just hop they pay shipping.

Molon Labe

Member #
    Liked
    35832 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texheim View Post
    The solid part failed, not the folding mechanism and in the pictures and more clearly in person the break is very smooth not rough. And like I said I wasn't using re-loaded or "hot" rounds. It's surreal because when it happened I turned around and the first words out of my mouth to my father where "I'm lucky to be alive" he thought I was talking about a ricochet.
    A smooth failure is definitely due to a defect in manufacture. The reason it's smooth is that there was a microscopic crack that allowed the two sides to work against each other and grind themselves smooth. So it is probably not indicative of an inherent weakness.
    Texheim likes this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    First off, I'm glad you're ok. Secondly, I'm sure glad I bought a hi point carbine instead of a sub 2000.
    Last edited by jr612; 01-15-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: can't spell

Member #
    Liked
    644 times
    daymn don't you hate it when your holding something thats two parts that ain't supposed to be. Good thing it happened then and not if you needed it to defend your life, even though with a feral hog... I dunno... but I've heard that is pretty borderline. And after looking at those pics, apparently same with shooting a sub 2k by the way it looks. Now I'm not familiar with these rifle alot cept they split in the middle for storage where exactly did it give way?

mmmmm bacon.....
    Last edited by scrabtree6; 01-15-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    Your Freedom To Be You Includes My Freedom To Be Free From You - Andrew Wilkow

Member #
    Liked
    41569 times
    Name:  IMG_0784.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  146.9 KBName:  IMG_0783.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  154.7 KB

Here are the two pieces where the break occurred. We're chalking it up to defect in manufacturing and process at this point because the break is smooth and you can notice air pockets in the polymer so there wasn't an actually explosion or uncontrolled gas venting issue. Keltec customer service opens at 8am so I'll be calling them shortly.

Molon Labe

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7197 times
    "Minor" malfunction.

Looks pretty major to me. Glad you weren't hurt Texheim.
    Wolf1477, mingaa, jwc007 and 2 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links