Ruger Mini-14 & Mini-30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    763 times

Ruger Mini-14 & Mini-30

Ahhh the Ruger Minis. Who has a 14 and/or a Mini 30 and what are your opinions of them?

I came into my Mini-30, a NIB stainless model with a wood stock, in 2004.
    For what my uses are for it, I can't complain. It can serve double duty as a deer gun with the 5 round magazine or protecting my homestead with a 30 rounder. Prior to those, I had some loaded 10 round mags I had kept for that purpose but upgraded to the 30 rounders.

I've never had a Failure to Feed or a Failure to Fire with it or the ammo I've gone with. I initially started with 20 round boxes of Winchester for around $10 but found Lapua had 30 round boxes and they were, at the time, $2 less.
    Now I'm shooting more S&B 7.62x39, and like the Lapua and Winchester, it's been flawless.

All in all, I'm more than pleased with this firearm and hope to add a mini-14 as well at some point, though likely will be one that's been lightly used.
    "You gotta be one of the good guys, son, 'cause there's way too many of the bad." - John Custer to his son Jesse.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Re: Ruger Mini-14 & Mini-30

I had a stainless Mini 14 and like you say for my purpose's it worked for me. It's a lot like Taurus guns, works well but not a lot of snob appeal. The AR crowd looks down their nose at them for some reason. Either one makes a great truck gun.

Kinda wish I still had mine. I traded it for a Romanian AK with two thirty rounders and a thousand rounds of Wolf ammo. That one goes bang every time too it's just not as cool looking.
    Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Howdy from Texas. New to this forum. I'll be picking up a new Mini-14 Ranch Rifle this week. I used to have one of the older plain Minis a while back, but had to sell it due to financial hard times. Minis aren't exactly target rifles, but then, they weren't meant to be. I heard that the new Ranch Rifle, SN 580XXXX, made since 2005, is an improvement over the old one in the accuracy dept. We'll see when I get out to do some shootin' next weekend. I think the AR-15 crowd has to justify the cost of their guns. They are more accurate than the Mini, but for the money, the Mini-14 is a better deal. I think it also less prone to jamming, as the one I had never had a failure of any kind in thousands of rounds downrange.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8582 times

Have a Mini-14 blued. Like it a lot. The groups I shoot with Silver Bear, Wolf, and Winchester 55 or 62 grain ammo have been in the 2.5 range at 50 yards. Since I use the regular sights, I am thinking off a low power scope or one of the other dot scopes. This gun is for defense and does what I want it two. I cannot justify the expense to the wife or myself of picking up an expensive AR. The AR180B does look inviting. Costs less than the other ARs or their clones and has everything an AR owner could want. Also a member of the Ruger forum .com.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

This response comes from years of service with several mini 14 training models most with well over 20 years on the firing line under heavy use. 28,000 rounds out of the oldest with little malfunction and it will still group benchrested with irons under 1.5 inches at 100. Anyone who knocks the mini 14 needs to look at their ability to shoot a small light weapon not the weapon itself.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A few months ago someone accidentally hit the silent alarm at work and the Sheriffs showed up as usual. The two deputies that came inside to clear the building had mini 14's, black stocks, stainless barrels, iron sights and 20rd mags. The rifles looked brand new, strait from the sporting goods store. Normally about 4 deputies show up and either have shot guns an AR or there side arms. This time only two deputies with stock mini 14's they kept them shouldered the whole time and dipped the barrel down when passing employees. They stayed ready and alert even after they cleared the building and all the way out to there cruisers when they left. I figured they must of just had some retraining because it looked like they meant business. I asked the less pissed looking deputy on his way out why they switched to mini 14's he said, One word and walked out. "Dependability".
    24/7 PRO .40 ca
    Walther p22
    Hi point 9mm
    Ruger P95
    Yugo SKS
    Steyr m95
    Spikes ST-15

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8312 times

I had a stainless Mini 14 for years when I was younger. We must have burned through 50,000 rounds through that thing. It started shooting all over the place so I traded it for a nice Browning 20 g Pump. It sure was fun when I had it.

I now own a Sig 556 that is a great gun, But 3 times the price and is accurate to a much further distance. No complaints on the Mini though.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21054 times

Have one Stainless Ruger Mini-30 and two Blued Ruger Mini14's. Nice Sport Utility Rifles! The Mini-30 is set up with a Bushnel 1.5 to 4x Wideview Scope and is set up for both Hunting (5 round Magazine) and Defense (Hi Cap Mags). Accuracy is not the best, but it beats my AKM. Have been shooting mostly South African Surplus FMJ, which I wish was still available. Have only shot a limited amount of Russian Ammunition thru it with no issues. The new Russian Brown Bear Soft Pointed Ammunition is supposed to be excellent Deer/Game/Defense ammunition if you can find it.

Of the two Mini-14's, one is set up for Defense with a Burris LER Scope on a Chief AJ Scout Mount, a Choate Pistol Grip Stock, and 30 round Magazines.

The other Mini-14 is set up for hunting and has a 3x to 9x Simmons Elite Series Scope and a Fabian Muzzle Brake, which has increased it's accuracy considerably, at least until the barrel warms up. It has accounted for quite a few Coyotes and a few Groundhogs.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8677 times

We have one of the first Ranch Rifles to hit the market, and also an All-Weather in stainless. Both are capable of MOA until they heat up. I found that both rifles responded well to hanging a flash suppressor on the front. I also took the time to check the gas pipe to see that it was unobstructed at the gas block, and to torques the gas block evenly. This did away with a sometimes problem. I'm looking at an adjustable gas block, to reduce the tendency to throw ejected cases 40', or more. This should also improve accuracy.

We use nothing but Ruger 20 or 30 round magazines. They work 100% in ALL of the guns. CDNN has RUGER factory 20 round magazines for the Mini-30 , as well as 20-30 factory mags for the Mini-14 for sale at good prices.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    1558 times

I traded into a blued Mini-14 back in 1981, and it is a handy, fun gun. It does not shower the county with brass - it is civilized and piles it all neatly two paces right-flank rear. Even I can shoot it into 2.5" groups at 100 yards from a rest. (It takes work just to SEE the darned target at that distance).

My wife likes it better than the AR by a whole lot, almost as much as her 30-carbine.

Flash
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links