• 1 Post By andyd
  • 1 Post By jeeper1

Thread: Swapping Mauser barrel from 8mm to 308

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22296 times

Swapping Mauser barrel from 8mm to 308

These questions deal with my 8mm Mauser K98 sporterized rifle that is discussed in another thread, here: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...-finished.html

I'd like to swap the 8mm barrel to .308 Winchester. Are Mauser actions universal, i.e., are the barrel seating threads the same throughout the Mauser action lineup, or are there differences I need to know before ordering? Does it matter whether it is a large ring or small ring Mauser? Will I be able to use the same bolt designed for the 8mm round, or will I have to order a 308 bolt?

This would be a first for me and there's a lot I don't know, but the Mauser reputation is such that I'd like to stick with what I have and modify it, both as a project and as a learning experience.

Name:  completed rifle.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  663.1 KB
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Member #
    Liked
    5139 times
    I have an Israeli k98 mauser that was rechambered at the end of ww2 to 7.62 NATO. I got it for $40 but had no clue what it was. It's best up a little but a great shooter.

Member #
    Liked
    5253 times
    Here is a video showing installing a 308 barrel on a M48 8mm Yugoslav mauser: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18401 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    These questions deal with my 8mm Mauser K98 sporterized rifle that is discussed in another thread, here: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...-finished.html

I'd like to swap the 8mm barrel to .308 Winchester. Are Mauser actions universal, i.e., are the barrel seating threads the same throughout the Mauser action lineup, or are there differences I need to know before ordering? Does it matter whether it is a large ring or small ring Mauser? Will I be able to use the same bolt designed for the 8mm round, or will I have to order a 308 bolt?

This would be a first for me and there's a lot I don't know, but the Mauser reputation is such that I'd like to stick with what I have and modify it, both as a project and as a learning experience.

Name:  completed rifle.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  663.1 KB
    Just the extractor. I had ordered a bolt for a spanish mauser I was working on. At the time I was very much an amatuer gunsmith and didn't specify 7mm or 308. The bolt I received was a 7mm bolt, but identical to the 308 except for the extractor.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    7800 times
    K98 are large ring. The only ones that are different are the earlier cock on closing 93, 94, 95, 96, which are a different design entirely, and some Turkish Mausers M48 maybe? which uses a smaller diameter thread. The extractor on mine is the original 8mm one, works fine. The trick is getting the shorter .308 to feed reliably in the longer action. I converted a 1922 BRNO K98 to .308win about 15-20 years ago, still have it.
    TrucksNCoffee, jtg452 and jwc007 like this.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    Trucksandcoffee,

the 98 actions are all very close. FN got the German Mauser equipment after Versailles and DWM machinery helped CZ/BRNO to get started. The biggest problem will be to get the barrel out and replaced and thread the new one in and torque it properly and then install the sights.
    The Israelis converted a lot of German Mauser K98k's to 7.62 when they switched to the FAL and ordered a bunch of barrels from FN, as well as getting into a contract with La Coruna, where they ordered rifles in .308/7.62 but never fulfilled the contract. Those guns, unissued 98 Mausers had hit the surplus market and were mostly sold in Germany through Frankonia.

Simple enough but then, everything is easy given the know-how. Here is my old Israeli K98k. Please note the holes in the front sight cover, identifying it as Israeli .

jwc007 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5406 times
    I did a barrel swap on my Israeli K98 Mauser about 10 or 11 years ago. The only thing I had a gunsmith do was set the headspace (no gauges) for me. I also did a drill and tap for scope mounts while I had the barrel out. I replaced a worn out 7.62 barrel to a new 308 barrel in stainless steel. It is nice having the proper tools (barrel vise and a D&T jig and a huge drill press).
    jwc007 likes this.

Sponsored Links