Kissin' Cousins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Kissin' Cousins

Member #
    Liked
    562 times

Kissin' Cousins

I have military rifles. I have a few that I find, here and there, that I shoot in mil-spec competitions. Usually, they are in need of some TLC when I get them, so they become projects. I won't stop until I wring as much accuracy out of them as is possible, without changing the original configuration. Last Friday, I happened across a Maltby R.O.F. MK1 #4 in pretty decent shape. It's from 1942. I assume, by the dings and dents on it, it was used in WWII...and survived. Here's a couple of pictures of it along with it's American cousin, Remington Mod 1917 from 9-18:

The stock is in decent shape. it has a MK 1 milled vernier sight on it, and a 2 groove barrel with a bright bore. I did have to shim the front barrel contact point, as the stock had shrunk away from the metal. Most of the numbers match, and the metal finish is in good shape under the wood line. Maybe next week, I'll get a chance to test fire it....

Member #
    Liked
    20111 times
    Good looking rifles! I'm sure they are a ton of fun to shoot!
    Troll likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11860 times
    Thanks for keeping those old heroes in order. Let us know how it shoots.
    Troll likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1301 times
    That 1917 eddystone is about the only old military rife I have not shot. I shot many txc service rifle and military surplus matches with my Garand and '03 smith corona.
    Troll likes this.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    881 times
    Nice example. Is it still .303?. or has it been re-bored.. I had a Lee-Enfield No4 Mk2 that I got for a song, turned out it had ALL matching serial numbers..!! Couldn't find a matching No32 Scope to go with it so I used a Whitetail Classic 1.5x4. This rifle was very accurate out to 600m.. Has yours had the bolt knob altered?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    1625 times
    I love a good shooting milsurp turnbolt.

I had two No, 4's and a couple of Ishapore rifles. The 4's were beautiful, but their wartime mgf. bores were way out of spec. Beauty being only skin deep, my Ishapore G & F out shot both the Long Branch and Fazakerley. The ugly wire wrap could easily pull off 4'' groups at 100 yards. My No.4's were not so good. Cerrosafe muzzle cast groove diameter on the G&F was measured at .314'', the Fazakerley measured at .317'' and the Long Branch groove diameter checked in at .321''.

Only Enfield I have left is an Ishapore 7.62 Nato conversion that out shot my .303 Brits.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    7585 times
    Great looking old warhorses there.

Have always loved battered old bolt-action battle rifles and imagined the stories they could tell.

Based on the title, almost passed the thread by, but when I saw it wasn't Rickenbacher that started it, I figured it'd probably be okay.
    TrucksNCoffee and william like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

"The greater part of mankind . . . walk blindfolded in this glorious theater." John Calvin

We will continue to make our republic the inspiration, the glory, and the envy of the rest of the world. As long as we are confident in our values, loyal to our citizens, and faithful to our God, there is no limit to what we can achieve. ​President Donald J. Trump, Feb 29, 2020.

Member #
    Liked
    6815 times
    Some nice vintage rifles, we have to need to the keep the past to appreciate the present.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20816 times
    Thanks to all who have shared, 'specially with pics. An old war rifle still in uniform always catches my eye, kind of like the old dog in the back of the kennel at a rescue shelter. If they can tell me a story, I'll take 'em home with me.
    Troll likes this.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    881 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Thanks to all who have shared, 'specially with pics. An old war rifle still in uniform always catches my eye, kind of like the old dog in the back of the kennel at a rescue shelter. If they can tell me a story, I'll take 'em home with me.

You might find this website interesting.

https://lee-enfield.org/

This is well known as the GB home of all that is Lee-Enfield related. If you Google the name 'Ian Hogg' you'll also find a mine of info and I believe before his death, he was a member of LERA (Lee-Enfield Rifle Association).
    Troll likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links