Taurus Firearm Forum banner

AK-47

5K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  TexasAviator 
#1 ·
I have been on that AK-47 kick again. Kills me that the prices are still pretty high on them with no sight of them ever coming down. I want the wood furniture however I may consider other models if the price is right.

Looking at the:
PSAK-47 they run around $700.00 New
WASR 10 they run just over $700.00 New

Possibly the C39V2

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Wow 2 posts this evening! Work must have hired 6 people to help you out!

I don't know a lot about AKs so just daydreaming. PSA had one of the Magpul folding stock models in OD green for something like $589.99(?). If I didn't have my sights/money set for a .308 AR build I would have been all over that! Maybe take a look at AK Operators Union videos from Shotshow. He covered several mfg.

I found the old email. I was wrong it wasn't the folding stock model but it was selling for $539.99 in the add.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...paign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5:00+Email

#7 ·
I saw that video, not sure I want to shell out the extra money for it. Bet when they hit the market they go for inflated prices. Depending on how many the release it may take a while for the price to settle down on them.

#6 ·
How do you like it?

Reactions: daytonaredeye
#19 · (Edited)
Well they are on the unfair side, as most users will NEVER put their firearms through the kind of abuse Rob does, but like you said - So What! The videos are excellent and they do weed out the really poorly made one's pretty quickly (issues @ less then 1k rounds etc)

That is the model I want. I have been watching their site and seeing other version go on their special price. Hopefully the wood ones do here soon other wise I may just get the polymer.
Pick up a polymer version like this one: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-gf3-forged-classic-polymer-rifle-5165450218.html for $599 and jump over to Atlantic Firearms or Carolina Shooters Supply(or the site of your preference) and buy replacement furniture that's to your liking

OR

These are in stock currently for $699 as well:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-gf3-forged-nutmeg-wood-rifle.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-blonde-rifle-no-cleaning-rod-5165450379.html

Or you can wait for the AK-E to be in stock w/wood furniture (for more $ no doubt)

#9 ·
I sure would love to get my hands on one. They are about $750 or so at the gun shows I've been frequenting.

#10 ·
I would veer away from the Century Arms stuff. I had one about two years ago, and the front trunion and rear trunion were cast, not forged. I did not realize this at the time, and after only about 5-600 rounds, I started having some issues. I sold it to a friend of mine, who is big into the AK scene, with the agreement from him of the problems I was having...needless to say, I took a serious loss on the gun.

If I ever buy another AK, it would be a Krebs or Arsenal...no jacking around the next time.

#14 ·
Never been into AKs. I have a couple of SKSs I bought years ago. My favorite cost me 75 bucks and back then AKs were under 200 dollars. AH, them were the days. SKSs were cheap even at the time, but not really tacticool and I had no desire to even HAVE a tacticool rifle. I've shot surplus AKs that couldn't hold better than 6" groups at 100 yards. My fave SKS rifle shoots 2" with its favorite ammo. Of course, accuracy is dependent on many variables, but the experiences I've had with AKs left me a bit lacking. Too, I don't like having to take my hand off the gun to take it off safety, seems kinda stupid. The SKS's safety is right there by the trigger, easy to make ready ... and silently, which is important to me.

My tacticooled SKS has a folding stock and is a 16" carbine, close enough to an AK. NO, you can't change magazines, but I have little use for removable magazines. I can load from the top and if I'm in a hurry, I do have a supply of stripper clips. Of course, if I wanna play army or think I'm going to go to revolt or something, I do have a Bushmaster M4 and a supply of 30 round magazines. But, I don't lose sleep over EOTWAWKI scenarios. Weren't for the chemo I'm on, doc says I'd be dead already, anyway. That sorta gave me a fatalistic attitude. :D

The ONLY thing I've ever used a rifle for is hunting. One of my SKSs is set up for night hunting hogs. Other than hunting, I just shoot my 100 yard gong. The good thing about AKs and ARs is the ammo is cheap enough without having to reload it to kill that gong over and over. I don't know how often I'd actually HIT that 6" gong at 100 yards with an AK, but my M4 is a lot more accurate than the AKs I've tried and rings the thing consistently. :D If the jack booted thugs were ever to come after me, it wouldn't be a SKS or AK I'd reach for, put it that way. :rofl:

But, I know how it is. You get in your head that you WANT something or NEED something, there ain't no scratching that itch until you go there. :D I had thought a lot about getting a Saiga 12 gauge for hogs, shooting slugs with it. But, the 7.62x39, if you hit where you should, gives 'em a dirt nap pretty quick, so I'm sorta glad I didn't get a Saiga for actual USE. I'd still like to have one, but I'm fighting the urge. :rofl:

#18 ·
I have a Romanian SAR1 that I bought in '02 or "03 for $325. The store owner brought three from the back room and told me to pick the one I liked best. I eventually put an adjustable Tapco AR style stock on it but left the wooden forend. I bought one of those scope mount brackets for AK's but took if off and made it my designated SHTF rough use gun. Fairly accurate for an AK.

I also went through an SKS phase which was where I learned to clean out cosmoline from every nook and cranny. I ended up selling one to a local guy and the other to my BIL.

#20 ·
I bought my son a Romanian AK about 10 years ago. It's got polymer stock and forearm. It gets hotter than hades after shooting a few mags through it. It's so bad you need to wear gloves when shooting it. I don't think it has heat shields on the forearm. If I were to do it all over again I would definitely go with wood furniture.

#25 ·
I bought my son a Romanian AK about 10 years ago. It's got polymer stock and forearm. It gets hotter than hades after shooting a few mags through it. It's so bad you need to wear gloves when shooting it. I don't think it has heat shields on the forearm. If I were to do it all over again I would definitely go with wood furniture.
First AK I ever shot was Bruntson's at one of the South Dakota shoots. It was a warm sunny day and had been shot repeatedly by other members in attendance when I walked up to it. I picked it up to eject the mag and put in a fresh one and thought My hands had caught fire! Had to put a piece of ammo cardboard box between the mag release and my hand. When I went to shoot it I burned my cheek on a piece of metal near the stock. The steel in those things certainly absorb and retain heat.

#28 ·
AK prices have stayed pretty consistent since the panic of 2012, i paid $700 for my I.O. Inc. AK back then. Unlike AR's, they haven't had nearly the drop in overall price.

#30 · (Edited)
I've got a WASR underfolder. I made a few mods, but the best one was the ALG hammer and trigger. It's crazy lite and even helped with accuracy. I don't flinch when pulling the trigger. I replaced the followers in all my mags with a bolt hold open followers, aftermarket muzzle device, Molot grip, and cheese grater gas tube cover. The tacks on the forearm are a shout out to my Commanche cousins of the past. I also lined it with some insulating material that I used in my attic. It does help with heat somewhat, but the difference is like the difference between the frying pan and the fire.

Gun Firearm Rifle Assault rifle Trigger

#31 · (Edited)
Not quite an AK, but it eats 7.62x39 out of AK mags, so it sorta counts, right? :D

The area near the gas block gets crazy hot, so I added a BPG Rail Rap, which I can recommend wholeheartedly:

#32 ·
Not quite an AK, but it eats 7.62x39 out of AK mags, so it sorta counts, right? :D

The area near the gas block gets crazy hot, so I added a BPG Rail Rap, which I can recommend wholeheartedly:
Well then, what exactly is this not quite an Ak then, and who made it. Never seen one of these before, but it looks very interesting.
Did you ever post a review or Range Report on it?

#34 ·
I have been watching the prices on AK's and they have been ever so slowly coming down with companies here and there running decent specials. Now this new run on guns and it looks like prices went up again and specials have vanished. Guess the AK goes on the back burner again.

#36 ·
I have the GSG AK-22 already plus 5 magazines. The kids love shooting it. Think they are also ready for the upgrade to 7.62x39.

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Assault rifle

#39 ·
I think I will get the PSA they have been putting different models on sale for around $569 - $599 and I was just watching for the model I want to go on sale. Looks like 2 weeks or so ago the sales came to an end.

Reactions: jwc007 and darbo
#40 ·
RobSki on the AKOU (AK Operators Union) YouTube Channel has been torturing a PSA AK for awhile now with excellent results.

Unfortunately, trying to buy anything Gun related is a pain, with the current COVID-19 conditions.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.