• 3 Post By TrucksNCoffee
  • 3 Post By D.A.P.

Thread: First Rifle: Rem 722

Member #
    Liked
    296 times

First Rifle: Rem 722

Hello Everyone!

It's been ages since I last posted anything so I figured I'd post an update and ask for some advice while I'm at it.

I recently bought a Remington 722 in .300 Savage as my first rifle. I like the overall look of it and feel of it. It's not at all very heavy, and recoil is very manageable. I'm not sure about accuracy as I was only able to manage 3" groupings standing at 25 yards with the vintage peep sights. With it being a rifle, I figure it should do much better in more capable hands. The only thing I don't like about it is the hard to find and expensive ammo for it. I'm thinking of selling it for a rifle in a more common caliber, but am afraid any other vintage rifle I'd get wouldn't be as accurate. Looking at a sporterized 1917 Mauser(30-06)right now as a replacement. Just how good of a rifle is the 722? Worth taking up reloading for it?
    silverstring and darbo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4921 times
    The 772 was last made in 1961, and is a good rifle although there is a recall for a new trigger group from Remington. One of the main things I ask myself before I buy a rifle is what do I want to use it for? Ammo type is a main consideration unless you want it for it's antique or historical value.

300 Savage ammo has better ballistics that the beloved 30-30. This made it a popular cartage for lever action rifles 60-70 years ago. Today it has fallen out of favor and as you said, factory ammo is available but expensive. If you want a rifle that uses less expensive ammo then sell your 722 and find a rifle in a more popular and cheaper ammo. As for the accuracy concerns about your 722, carefully inspect the barrels bore. A lot can happen to the barrel is 60 years, is it leaded or is the bore damaged? Slug the barrel to find out the internal size of the barrel, it may just be worn out.

If the bore is worn, you might be able to restore it's accuracy by reloading with slightly oversized bullets. But until you know why your rifle is inaccurate, I wouldn't be buying any reloading dies yet.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Bruntson; 01-06-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    silverstring and bobbojama like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20001 times
    You say this is your first rifle, which begs the question: How much experience do you have with off-hand (standing) shooting with a long gun? Have you had any coaching on proper stance and form?

My suggestion is to try shooting it from a bench rest of some kind (table with bags or rest of some kind, proper height tree limb, even a step ladder step or top), to eliminate the wobbles and variances associated with off-hand shooting. That will give you a better indication of how accurate the rifle is, as opposed to how accurate your stance is. See what happens and go from there.

PS: Pics of your rifle would sure be nice! (wink-wink-nudge-nudge)
    william, bobbojama and Bruntson like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Thanks for the reply's. Pics attached as requested.

Even though this I've never owned a rifle til now, I've shot them a few times before. Mostly from a rest and sometimes standing at 50 to 100 yards. Mostly trapdoor Springfield's and other older single shot rifles. Half had Scopes and the rest were peep sights similar to what I have in the pics. People at the range I frequented were very nice and offered to let me shoot their rifles. I got a little advice, but nothing on stance I don't think.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    airwrench, 2111USMC and BigBlue like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27678 times
    I would give the barrel a thorough cleaning and then shoot it off of a solid bench rest to see what kind of accuracy you get. It is a good looking rifle!
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    The 722 was the first rifle i got as well. It was given to me by my dad. I love shooting it, and because of the attachment i think it's worth the price of ammo; plus now that i reload its a lot cheaper anyways

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links