Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: My new Henry 45-70 Government

Member #
    Liked
    3572 times

My new Henry 45-70 Government

Wow......what can I say......

My Dad and I have always shared the hobbies of shooting sports and gun collecting (I'm 51 and he's 74). But lately, we have gotten more into this crazy battle on who can out-do the other when it comes to gifting firearms.

This is what he got me for Christmas (and all I got him was a Ruger PC Carbine and a Ruger Air Hawk! I really need to up my game!):

Name:  IMG_4571.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  1.40 MB

Name:  IMG_4572.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  1.33 MB

What a surprise! I've always admired the Henry rifles from the opposite side of the counter, but had never actually handled one before. I have to say......I'm even more impressed with their quality NOW than I was before! The action is butter smooth and the fit and finish is incredible. I've never handled a nicer rifle.

If that wasn't sweet enough.....he ALSO bought a Vortex 2-7X32 scope, rings and Henry mount to go with it. AND.......a leather wrap kit for the lever, AND 120 rounds of ammo!

Here's what it looks like all decked-out:

Name:  IMG_4585.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.46 MB

Name:  IMG_4586.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.44 MB

Now....it was pretty cold the day we took it out to shoot it for the first time......so we never worked on zeroing the scope. But it's still holding pretty much on the center of a 10" steel gong at 50 yards. Not too shabby for taking it straight out of the box!

The action is as smooth as you'd expect out of a rifle of this level.......smooth and jam-free.....although I truly have nothing else to compare it to, as this is my very first lever-action rifle. The trigger is crisp and light. We were afraid that the recoil was going to be brutal without a buttpad, but it was quite manageable. Yeah....it gave me a hefty bruise on the shoulder.....but it's not nearly as harsh as my Mosin or Enfield.....and to be honest, I was kind of hoping it would be!

Name:  IMG_4588.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  1.67 MB

...........to be continued........
    Last edited by paulky_2000; 01-02-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    oso, Buckeye!, 2111USMC and 8 others like this.
    If you're blue and you don't know where to go to, why don't you go where fashion sits......PUTIN ON A RITZ!!!

Member #
    Liked
    3572 times
    ......as I was saying, the fit and finish on this rifle is incredible......and I just can't get over how beautiful it is!

Name:  IMG_4589.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  1.32 MB

Name:  IMG_4590.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  IMG_4591.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  1.89 MB

Name:  IMG_4587.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  1.34 MB

It truly is a work of art! (I think I'm going to hang it over the fireplace! )
    If you're blue and you don't know where to go to, why don't you go where fashion sits......PUTIN ON A RITZ!!!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29627 times
    Henry really does a great job, hard to believe they come out of Bayonne, NJ. Beautiful rifle, congrats! I have two .45/70s from Marlin, one from H&R and have a single shot coming from Henry next week.
    Last edited by BigBlue; 01-02-2020 at 06:52 AM.
    paulky_2000 likes this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3572 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Henry really does a great job, hard to believe they come out of Bayonne, NJ. Beautiful rifle, congrats! I have two .45/70s from Marlin, one from H&R and have a single shot coming from Henry next week.
    Thank you so much!!

I just can't help but think it needs an old, hand-stitched, leather sling or scabbard.....

Member #
    Liked
    9449 times
    Good looking rifle. I bought the Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 last year.
    Great caliber and classic look.
    paulky_2000 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3130 times
    Congrats on your beautiful new lever gun.
    paulky_2000 likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    34908 times
    Wow, that is a great-looking rifle! Congratulations! I was several photos in before I was sure that was a brass receiver. Yeah, a nice handmade sling would look really good on that.

Looking at those rounds, your recoil report is surprising.

You and your dad are making heirlooms with this "competition." That's great!
    paulky_2000 likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    2437 times
    That is a mighty fine-looking lever gun.

I always planned on buying a Rossi R92 for a lever gun, but those pictures have me reconsidering getting a Henry instead, especially now that they're started making them with side loading gates. Honestly, now all they need is to start making models out of Stainless Steel and I'll have nothing else to consider.
    paulky_2000 likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    I have a Henry 45-70, I bought it 4 or five years ago maybe 6. I wouldn't like to shoot my reloads with brass on the butt stock. I mounted a Leupold 2x7 VX2 on it, very similar to your setup. I will say I am very impressed with Henry barrels, 1 MOA at 100 yds. is easy. That is one very nice looking rifle, mine is the plain version complete with scratches from deer hunting. Henry 45-70's are made in Wisconsin.

Member #
    Liked
    20631 times
    That is one fine looking rifle! Dad did good!
    paulky_2000 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links