Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Rossi 92 or Marlin 1894C - Wrestling between them

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46661 times

Rossi 92 or Marlin 1894C - Wrestling between them

Still haven't seen any earth shaking deals on either. Where are the American mercantile mavens or is this an expression of how much demand there is for these lever guns. Wanting a .357 Magnum..in the blue...and in the meantime was reading reviews on both.

The Rossi reviews may be dated and speak of feeding problems with .357 and a loading gate with sharp edges. Also that the carbine has a shorter LOP which might require buying an add on recoil pad, although my arms aren't really that long. I actually put a Hogue stock on my Maverick 88 when the Allen Recoil Pad added too much length.

The Rossi is probably 120-180 dollars less expensive than the Marlin, although the latter has a checkered stock and sling studs. Resale wise, the Marlin would probably do better there although I don't buy guns with resale in mind.

The Rossi would have the 20" barrel, the Marlin an 18.5".

Setting aside the dollar difference, which one would you be more attracted to and why?
    Last edited by Czechbikr; 11-29-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    darbo, kruizer, jwc007 and 2 others like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22267 times
    I'd choose the Marlin. I'm a Marlin fan 'cause they're an American company, and they've been making American (aka, lever-action) rifles since who flung the chunk. Granted, Remington sought to contaminate the brand when they took them over some years ago, but that has been worked out after a nation-wide uproar from Marlin fans forced them to put quality back into the product. I'm sure you're aware of https://www.marlinowners.com/, a Marlin forum very similar to TA.net. A whole lot of information there.

Go with Marlin!
    Czechbikr, jwc007 and taurustoter like this.

Member #
    Liked
    35243 times
    Is the 1.5" barrel length difference important to you? Are you going to use it in the woods?

The sling studs aren't very significant. They don't cost much. If you like the checkering, though, that's tougher to add.

Let's add some pictures.

Rossi 92:
    Name:  Rossi 92.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  40.1 KB
    Marlin 1894c:

I think I'd go with the Marlin. Unless I can find one of the Rossis with a case hardened receiver. Then I'd get that.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22267 times
    (Edited) Never mind, it appears there aren't any case-hardened Marlins. I was thinking of my old Stevens shotgun. I'm blaming having consumed too much turkey and gravy yesterday.
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 11-29-2019 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Wrong information.

Member #
    Liked
    35243 times
    Are there case hardened Marlins? I didn't see any just a very few photos of case hardened Rossis.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    911 times
    https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...rds=rossi%2092

i would consider a Rossi 92 if the price is right.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32985 times
    Personally, I much prefer the looks of the Rossi, very Winchester. If you might wanna scope the gun, the Marlin will allow that, but scopes on lever guns are just wrong.

Either will shoot lights out. I have the Rossi which I bought in the late 80s for a brush rifle. I've shot one deer with it, but still own the gun. It shoots light loaded .38s so well, I sometimes hunt squirrel with it and I plink with the gun.
    jwc007 likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    3209 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    Still haven't seen any earth shaking deals on either. Where are the American mercantile mavens or is this an expression of how much demand there is for these lever guns. Wanting a .357 Magnum..in the blue...and in the meantime was reading reviews on both.

The Rossi reviews may be dated and speak of feeding problems with .357 and a loading gate with sharp edges. Also that the carbine has a shorter LOP which might require buying an add on recoil pad, although my arms aren't really that long. I actually put a Hogue stock on my Maverick 88 when the Allen Recoil Pad added too much length.

The Rossi is probably 120-180 dollars less expensive than the Marlin, although the latter has a checkered stock and sling studs. Resale wise, the Marlin would probably do better there although I don't buy guns with resale in mind.

The Rossi would have the 20" barrel, the Marlin an 18.5".

Setting aside the dollar difference, which one would you be more attracted to and why?
    Seems to me that you shot my Rossi 92 in 45 Colt when we met in Wisconsin a couple of years ago.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    3376 times
    I would go with the Marlin. There is a lot more aftermarket sights for it, and it is side eject for a scope if you plan to hunt with it. I have both, and like them both.

Now there is only one thing that would turn me away from the Marlin is whether or not it is micro-grooved. Micro-groove only works well with extreme hard cast, copper wash, and jacketed bullets if you plan on reloading. I've seen several new ones with conventional rifling. Conventional rifling is very forgiving across all bullet types.

Maloy
    gbusmech likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    24268 times
    I would go with the Marlin, as I would mount a Scope on it, but I believe you won't go wrong with either one.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links