Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Rossi 92 or Marlin 1894C - Wrestling between them

6K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  RonPT24/7 
#1 · (Edited)
Still haven't seen any earth shaking deals on either. Where are the American mercantile mavens or is this an expression of how much demand there is for these lever guns. Wanting a .357 Magnum..in the blue...and in the meantime was reading reviews on both.

The Rossi reviews may be dated and speak of feeding problems with .357 and a loading gate with sharp edges. Also that the carbine has a shorter LOP which might require buying an add on recoil pad, although my arms aren't really that long. I actually put a Hogue stock on my Maverick 88 when the Allen Recoil Pad added too much length.

The Rossi is probably 120-180 dollars less expensive than the Marlin, although the latter has a checkered stock and sling studs. Resale wise, the Marlin would probably do better there although I don't buy guns with resale in mind.

The Rossi would have the 20" barrel, the Marlin an 18.5".

Setting aside the dollar difference, which one would you be more attracted to and why?

#2 ·
I'd choose the Marlin. I'm a Marlin fan 'cause they're an American company, and they've been making American (aka, lever-action) rifles since who flung the chunk. Granted, Remington sought to contaminate the brand when they took them over some years ago, but that has been worked out after a nation-wide uproar from Marlin fans forced them to put quality back into the product. I'm sure you're aware of https://www.marlinowners.com/, a Marlin forum very similar to TA.net. A whole lot of information there.

Go with Marlin!

#3 ·
Is the 1.5" barrel length difference important to you? Are you going to use it in the woods?

The sling studs aren't very significant. They don't cost much. If you like the checkering, though, that's tougher to add.

Let's add some pictures.

Rossi 92:
Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

Marlin 1894c:

I think I'd go with the Marlin. Unless I can find one of the Rossis with a case hardened receiver. Then I'd get that.

Attachments

#7 ·
Personally, I much prefer the looks of the Rossi, very Winchester. :D If you might wanna scope the gun, the Marlin will allow that, but scopes on lever guns are just wrong. :D

Either will shoot lights out. I have the Rossi which I bought in the late 80s for a brush rifle. I've shot one deer with it, but still own the gun. It shoots light loaded .38s so well, I sometimes hunt squirrel with it and I plink with the gun.

Reactions: jwc007
#9 ·
I would go with the Marlin. There is a lot more aftermarket sights for it, and it is side eject for a scope if you plan to hunt with it. I have both, and like them both.

Now there is only one thing that would turn me away from the Marlin is whether or not it is micro-grooved. Micro-groove only works well with extreme hard cast, copper wash, and jacketed bullets if you plan on reloading. I've seen several new ones with conventional rifling. Conventional rifling is very forgiving across all bullet types.

Maloy

#10 ·
I would go with the Marlin, as I would mount a Scope on it, but I believe you won't go wrong with either one.

#14 ·
If it was a pistol cartridge I'd honestly go with the Rossi, for a rifle caliber, the Marlin, a JM stamped one if you can find it.

#15 ·
Leaning back toward the Rossi. The top eject is not going to be an issue I think since I made it a point to remove the rail that came with my pre-owned Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum, get plugs for the tapped holes and repaired the marks that the rail had made. It is a "JM" production. That rifle has the OEM semibuckhorn rear sight with the front sight hood removed. The Rossi once I buy it may get a Skinner peep sight. Should I ever get the urge to scope a lever gun I can always put the rail back on the Marlin since that gun won't leave the stable as long as I'm here. ;)

#16 ·
Given the choice, during the initial Marlin/Remington changeover, I chose the Rossi with a 16" barrel. I had experienced how bad the Marlins originally being made by Remington were in the 1895GBL that I had bought. It was traded in less than a month later. The manufacturing of Marlin rifles has gone through a massive tooling upgrade since then. The Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. that I recently bought is easily up to the old Marlin JM standard. After buying my Rossi R92 I took it apart, polished the action and added a peep sight which replaced the inane safety. With those improvements it's very slick and accurate. I have never had a problem with it since and it even feeds 160gr. SWC handloads. Taking the R92 apart and getting it back together is nothing to sneeze at. Working on the Marlin, on the other hand, is very simple. The Marlin feels more solid, but the Rossi feels more handy. As you already have the Marlin 1894 I would suggest you get the Rossi simply to have something different. The 1894 in .357 mag. would be very similar to shooting your .44 mag. version. I have been debating on getting a 1894 in .45 Colt, but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to find a reason, purpose or justification other than I'd like to have it.

#17 ·
Given the choice, during the initial Marlin/Remington changeover, I chose the Rossi with a 16" barrel. I had experienced how bad the Marlins originally being made by Remington were in the 1895GBL that I had bought. It was traded in less than a month later. The manufacturing of Marlin rifles has gone through a massive tooling upgrade since then. The Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. that I recently bought is easily up to the old Marlin JM standard. After buying my Rossi R92 I took it apart, polished the action and added a peep sight which replaced the inane safety. With those improvements it's very slick and accurate. I have never had a problem with it since and it even feeds 160gr. SWC handloads. Taking the R92 apart and getting it back together is nothing to sneeze at. Working on the Marlin, on the other hand, is very simple. The Marlin feels more solid, but the Rossi feels more handy. As you already have the Marlin 1894 I would suggest you get the Rossi simply to have something different. The 1894 in .357 mag. would be very similar to shooting your .44 mag. version. I have been debating on getting a 1894 in .45 Colt, but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to find a reason, purpose or justification other than I'd like to have it.
Well...that's not stopping me from getting the lever gun in .357...;)

Detail stripping the Marlin for cleaning was rather simple. That may the only reason that really tilts me toward another one. I would hope that my CAS gunsmith buddy hasn't pulled up stakes and left ILLinois. He slicked up my Marlin and I would be looking for him to do the same for the next lever gun I buy. The prior bad rap that the "Remlins" took doesn't bother me as your experience and others have assurred me that it's in the past.

Reactions: BigBlue
#18 ·
I would go with the Marlin. Made in the USA, and the "Marlington" problems have pretty much been cleaned up.

#19 ·
I finally found a Rossi 92 at a REASONABLE price locally.I wanted a stainless but I will live with the blued one just fine.I wanted a 16" barrel and found one on a local forum.Paid his 450 asking price and took it home.
I want a Marlin but just not ready to talk myself out of that much money.Maybe one day.

#20 · (Edited)
Rossi, hands down.

Never have liked the Marlin 94. Wrist is too thick and it doesn't shoulder as well for me as a '92.

Yes, the .38/.357 Rossis are known to have some feeding issues.

Thing is, it's either or the other. A particular gun will feed .357's but not shorter .38's reliably or it will feed .38's reliably and jam with .357's.

It's something about the wide variation in length being more than the action can accommodate. It's kind of hard to make an action that is going to feed 158 and heavier 357's as reliably as it does 110gr .38 specials. That's a big jump in COAL. That issue comes up more at a CAS match where the gun is being shot fast than in the woods or on the range under more relaxed circumstances. I haven't heard of issues appearing when the guns aren't being ran at match speed.

A buddy of mine has a 92 in .357 that just will not feed .38's that are below 158gr- except for the long 125's that were developed specifically because of the '92. It will feed .357's and longer .38's all day but can't get 3 125's or lighter shot without a jam.

Sharp loading gates an issue? On a gun that cheap?

That's hand finishing and you aren't getting hand finishing at Rossi prices. Find the sharp edges and knock them down with a needle file or stone when you take it apart to scrub it down.Check with Steve's Gunz down in Texas. He's a 92 expert that even Rossi has consulted with in the past. He's got some videos out on slicking/cleaning up the '92.

#22 ·
Ever try it at match speed? Cranking and yanking as fast as you can move the front sight onto the next plate is different than normal range shooting.

#23 ·
The OP didn't mention shooting it in a CAS match so hopefully he should be fine with the Rossi, if that's the gun he chooses.

#24 ·
I do like to keep options open...maybe I'll touch base with my CAS gunsmith to get his input ..and see what he charges for going over a gun...if there's any difference in cost between the two.

#25 ·
I have an all stainless 16" Rossi R92 in .44 Mag. I took it completely apart and rebuilt it right after I bought it. There were some issues I didn't like. The stock wood stain comes off when wet. Mine has the metal butt plate and with the .44 Mag it kicks like a SOB. They may put them together better now, but mine had some of the fitted parts jammed into place and was the main reason I rebuilt it. It needed a lot of clearancing to get the barrel not to pinch in a number of spots. On the good side there is a lot of information on improving the R92 on the internet, using that information my R92 feeds and operates like butter now. Also NOE makes a Picatinny rail that takes the place of the rear sights. It has a grove down the middle that lets you use the open sights in a pinch but mine carries a Vortex Venom pistol red dot now.

The Rossi will be cheaper, but may also require a good bit of "adjusting" to get it operating right. Don't know why you want the longer barrels, but 16" in a pistol caliber is plenty long enough to get top velocity, IMO, and a lot handier to handle in the woods.

The reason the Marlins were so bad when Remington bought them was because no one looked at the machinery before they bought them, they were all worn out and when they moved the plant, those skilled workers who all had hand written notes on tolerance adjustments did not make the move. The Marlins all are made on new machinery now. I don't know if they dropped the Micro Groove barrels, or not, but I do not see why they would keep it. I much prefer a rubber butt pad to a metal one.

Gun Trigger Air gun Wood Shooting sport

#26 ·
My thinking of the longer barrel is for the additional capacity. Factory and/or highly charged 44 Magnum loads are a bear in my Marlin and the rubber butt pad is appreciated there.

Reactions: GreenWolf70
#27 ·
Did you know that the .44 Special has a longer COAL than the .44 Mag? I didn't either until I started messing with my R92. Long bullets, like Hornady's FTX, can be seated further out if you load them in .44 SPL cases. Both .44 Special and Magnums feed well in my R92.

I don't know if it is the same with the .38SPL and the .357 Mag.

Reactions: Czechbikr
#28 ·
Depends on the bullet design. There are 125gr .358 cast bullets designed to be seated further out to bring the COAL out for guns that don't feed short rounds well.

Personally, I don't see the need for them as a reloader. You can duplicate a reasonable CAS .38Special load in a .357 case with a little research into powder selection if there's feeding issies with shorter .38's.

Reactions: Czechbikr
#31 ·
Marlin

I have a 1894 44mag and had to order the riser I believe it called but it cured the jamming, it's silky smooth and I'm glad I bought it even tho it had the jamming problem but we know the fix so it isn't an issue. I was freaking when it started jamming at the time but love it and will keep it til I'm done.

#32 ·
I've got the Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum.

However it is what fits the individual gun owner that matters. Rossi and Marlin both have quality products. Try them both out if you can and pick what works for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.