Thread: bought a Bergara BXR...10/22 clone

Member #
    Liked
    166 times

bought a Bergara BXR...10/22 clone

Member #
    Liked
    2294 times
    I'm not familiar with this rifle. What is the advantage over the Ruger?

Member #
    Liked
    22538 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    I'm not familiar with this rifle. What is the advantage over the Ruger?
    This is a more expensive rifle that the 10/22, from a premier manufacturer. Mostly, the two models are offering features some people get as aftermarket items but at a price that is less than you could do it for that way. Plus the quality of manufacture should be better, and hopefully accuracy.

The carbon fiber barrel model is interesting.

https://www.bergara.online/us/
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    This is a more expensive rifle that the 10/22, from a premier manufacturer. Mostly, the two models are offering features some people get as aftermarket items but at a price that is less than you could do it for that way. Plus the quality of manufacture should be better, and hopefully accuracy.

paid $499 for the BXR 001 model

haven't accuracy tested it yet

lots of nice features...check their website
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10731 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    Plus the quality of manufacture should be better, and hopefully accuracy.

Just for the record, and, of course, my personal opinion, I think the manner in which you made the above statement is a slap in the face to Ruger. I have zero criticisms of the quality or accuracy of my 10/22. I'd be interested to know if you own a 10/22 and if so what specific shortcomings you have found in your rifle.

The carbon fiber barrel is vewrgt interesting...
    BangBang likes this.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31456 times
    I have a few criticisms of the 10/22. The trigger was mushy. I fixed it with a Volquartsen hammer, easy installation and cheap...about 40 bucks. I have few major criticisms including accuracy which is excellent. I get one hole 25 yard groups with CCI standard velocity ammo. I've dressed it up a bit with a Hogue stock. That eliminates the barrel band.

Yeah, I find little to criticize on the 10/22. It's one of my fave all time rimfires and I got it used at a gun show for $150 and in STAINLESS STEEL. Besides, if the Ruger weren't any good, why would there be so much aftermarket and so many copy cats?
    jwc007 and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31456 times
    Oh, yeah, one more....the safety is on backwards on the 10/22. I intend to get a left hand safety, eventually.

I don't really like crossbolt safeties.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coopercdrkey View Post
    Just for the record, and, of course, my personal opinion, I think the manner in which you made the above statement is a slap in the face to Ruger. I have zero criticisms of the quality or accuracy of my 10/22. I'd be interested to know if you own a 10/22 and if so what specific shortcomings you have found in your rifle.

And???

Hey man, I’m a huge fan of Ruger and own two 10-22s (both TakeDown models). I’m also smart enough to know that Ruger is a quality brand offering a “value” price point. But, they ain’t manufactured stock with Bergara barrels. Bergara is a high end custom barrel maker. I bought my 10-22s to plink, rodent control and just plain fun. I have no expectations of “competitive level” accuracy from a $230 Rifle. If I were to get into competitive long gun sports I would likely spend upwards of $5K-$10K.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    2294 times
    Looks interesting.

Member #
    Liked
    22538 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coopercdrkey View Post

You're putting words in my mouth. I made no negative statement about Ruger. Stating that a Bentley is built better than a Jaguar is no slap in the face to Jaguar. The Bergara should be better built given it's higher price point. The increased accuracy is a hope....since Bergara is known for the quality of their barrels. Obviously the performance of the 10/22 can be improved, just as any rifle can. Is the presence of all the aftermarket accuracy-enhancing parts for the 10/22 a slap in the face to Ruger? Are they not good enough as they come that people feel they need to replace practically every part on the rifle? No, of course not.

I've owned a 10/22 in the past. I got rid of it because it's just too small for me. It was a well made (mostly) and accurate (enough) rifle. Could it have been better? Yes. But given it's price point it represents a great value in a more than serviceable rifle.

I think Colt revolvers are better made than S&W's, S&W's are better made than Dan Wesson's. But it's comparing apples and oranges and I will grant that the differences can amount to minutiae to many. To others such small details are important. As you said, it's a matter of opinion.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links