Wife won a shotgun. Have a question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Wife won a shotgun. Have a question.

Member #
    Liked
    3510 times

Wife won a shotgun. Have a question.

So, one of the guys in her office was raffling off a few of his unfired firearms to help his daughter with some med bills. Well, wife got lucky, and won the MKA 1919 Match Pro 12GA with 3 mags. She's not a shotty fan, so I ended up with it. I was reading the instructions, and there are two gas rings: one for light loads and one for heavy loads. I know I'd need the heavy one for slugs and buckshot(both standard and magnum). Where I'm hitting Confucius is where to swap in the light ring. I grabbed some Winchester and Federal 7-1/2 shot to break it in(book says at least 100 rounds of that before switching to other loads). The Winchester is marked "Heavy Target", 1200FPS. The Federal is simply marked "Target and Skeet, 1200FPS". I tried Google, and can't find a definitive answer. The manual clearly warns using the wrong ring with the wrong load will damage both the gun and the shooter.

So, semi guys, is there a "dope sheet" answer?
    jonrjen likes this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Member #
    Liked
    2280 times
    You could call the manufacturer.

Member #
    Liked
    4243 times
    If you start with the heavy load ring and the action does not fully cycle, switch to the light load ring. Shooting light loads with the heavy load ring will not damage anything.
    glenwolde, darbo and RogueTS1 like this.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22472 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbojama View Post
    If you start with the heavy load ring and the action does not fully cycle, switch to the light load ring. Shooting light loads with the heavy load ring will not damage anything.
    I'm down with this.
    bobbojama likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    19660 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbojama View Post
    Agree. I'm thinking the worst thing that will happen is the light load simply won't cycle the action. Yes/no?
    bobbojama likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2689 times
    Can't help at all with the technicals, but congrats on the new shotgun. If a wife who isn't in to guns comes home with a shotgun, I'd be worried, but since she gave it to you, I guess you're safe!

Member #
    Liked
    1219 times
    I just want to say congrats.

Member #
    Liked
    7640 times
    Light ring is for shooting clays or as called trap shooting . They usually shoot 7/8th oz loads for everything in competitions and when just practicing all day shooting maybe 10 or more boxes at a time . If they shoot full loads usually 1-1/4th oz loads that can be hectic on your shoulders ! So follow directions for breakin , shoot heavy loads with the heavy ring only cause if you shoot heavy loads on the light ring it can cause damage to the gun . Break it in then change out the ring to the light ring and shoot a few boxes of light loads . You’ll be able to tell the difference for sure! This is the point tho . If your using it for security reasons use the heavy ring , same goes for hunting . If shooting clays/trap then switch to light ring and use light loads only !! That’s 7/8th loads or max 1-oz loads but no more ! If you want more info go to the shotgun forum and register and ask . Most these guys are trap shooters with hunters also . They know their stuff on shotguns !!

Shotgunworld.com ? Index page

Member #
    Liked
    6507 times
    Congrats to you both.

Member #
    Liked
    29649 times
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    jwc007 likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast