Rifle Caliber recommended for a Young Shooter for deer ?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Rifle Caliber recommended for a Young Shooter for deer ?

Member #
    Liked
    504 times

Smile Rifle Caliber recommended for a Young Shooter for deer ?

Moderators if this is not the correct place for this question please remove to an appropriate section ? Young shooter wants to go hunting with me and I don't want to have her get gun shy from recoil.Other than a 223 ,What else do you have experience with,she is small in stature and prefers a bolt action.My 308 would be punishing ! TY in advance .
    kruizer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2773 times
    I would recommend a 243. Light bullet, fairly flat trajectory and not bad recoil. I would take her to a rifle range before the season and have her get used to the gun.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    1548 times
    Amen on .243 Winchester. Short cartridge equals short throw for bolt. Stocks can be cut to suit, get a short barreled "youth model". You can load it down for practice and familiarity, and as kruizer says, light bullet and flat trajectory, still quite enough for whitetail, hogs, etc.

I just parted with my Win M-70 youth-model .243 after quite a number of my grandkids and their friends discovered the pleasures of shoting and hunting through a few decades.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    504 times
    Is the 243 a long bolt or short bolt ? I think it may be long bolt ,but does that make for a milder recoil ?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19541 times
    A .243 is a necked down .308 and is a short bolt action.

"The .243 Winchester cartridge was initially designed as a target/varmint round, it may be used for animals such as coyotes, black tail deer, whitetail deer, mule deer, pronghorns, and wild hogs.
    This .243 is light, small and perfect for beginning deer hunters." http://americanshootingjournal.com/243-caliber/
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 09-24-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to include quotation marks in the quote
    MARINEDIVISIONTWO and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    504 times
    Going with a 243 based on all recommendations ,I thank You all. MDT
    SevenMilePete likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1548 times
    Short cartridge = short action = short bolt movement at least 1 inch less than 30-06 or 270 sized cartridge. Perfect for shorter arms and smaller hands.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    22351 times
    Another vote for the .243.... this is a great cartridge that's more effective than the .223 and is very common making ammo easy to find. I know more than one guy that's gotten one for the wife/daughter/son and ended up with their own...
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    8970 times
    Definitely the .243.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    5056 times
    I agree, a .243 would be great.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links