Rifle Caliber recommended for a Young Shooter for deer ? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Rifle Caliber recommended for a Young Shooter for deer ?

Member #
    Liked
    3978 times
    Brace up -- 30.06.

Just kidding ... but it will bring down darn near anything.
    gbusmech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

6.5 Grendel in the AR-15 Platform

Quote Originally Posted by MARINEDIVISIONTWO View Post
    Moderators if this is not the correct place for this question please remove to an appropriate section ? Young shooter wants to go hunting with me and I don't want to have her get gun shy from recoil.Other than a 223 ,What else do you have experience with,she is small in stature and prefers a bolt action.My 308 would be punishing ! TY in advance .

Smooth shooter with a lotta umph, but not much more recoil than 223/5.56. Deadly accurate with a wide selection of 90 to 130gr bullets. A real year-round shooter...

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    ? Not one 30-30 recommendation?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy46 View Post
    ? Not one 30-30 recommendation?
    Nope! .243 it is! I live in East Texas and there isn't anything down here that you can't take with a .243. In fact a BAR in .243 was the first rifle I bought many, many years ago. I still have it and it still shoots great. I also Have a Savage Axis in .243. For a cheap bolt action rifle it may just be the most accurate rifle I own.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    In many states, 223 is not legal as it has to be over 22 caliber. I bought my AR before I knew.
    How well are these statutes (or regulations) written? In my math class, .223 is larger than .22. I'd argue that one to twelve peers if it is a statute.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2521 times
    I'm sorry, folks but I can't resist:

Imagine you’re a deer. You’re prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water… BAM! A flying bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a rip what kind of gun the young lady who shot you was using?

Apologies to Marisa Tomei.
    daytonaredeye likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    Like Brett mentioned, 6.5 Grendel would do nicely. If you have one lying around a 250-3000 Savage, 257 Roberts loaded down a little, 243 maybe with a light recoil load, all should suit a young shooter without too much recoil. A 223/6mm would do nicely as well but hard to find. Watch the scope eyepiece distance. Inexperienced shooters have a tendency to "crawl up" on the scope. Sometimes I line the eye bell with small rubber hose for a new shooter or hard kicking rifle. My two cents.
    GreenWolf70 and ETF like this.
    My 2 cents.
    Most guns out shoot most people.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Member #
    Liked
    3505 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    In many states, 223 is not legal as it has to be over 22 caliber. I bought my AR before I knew.
    Here, it's 6mm or larger. .223 is 5.56mm, so yeah, no dice unless it's varmint or antelope.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldcomputerguy View Post
    Inexperienced shooters have a tendency to "crawl up" on the scope. Sometimes I line the eye bell with small rubber hose for a new shooter or hard kicking rifle. My two cents.
    Not just inexperience shooters!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20393 times
    Well, back when I was a teeny tiny scrawny kid my dad had me carry one of his 12g with slugs. After puberty, he let me carry a 30-30 then bought me my own Marlin in 44MAG. No considerations given to recoil - he let me shoot each before carrying into the woods - just a quick reminder before he cut me loose on my own. None of my kids have ever shot a 22LR Rifle. For hunting my dad loaned out a 30-30 to the oldest and I loaned my 44 Mag to the next oldest while I moved to a 30-06. And, yep, with his first shot with the 44 Mag he got a black eye via the scope but learned not to do that anymore.
    airwrench and jwc007 like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links