• 6 Post By CaptainMorgan
  • 1 Post By Montkun
  • 1 Post By taurustoter

Thread: Range day and update on the new 995TS

Member #
    Liked
    5293 times

Range day and update on the new 995TS

My son and I made a trip to the range today. Took a 22 bolt action and the new 995. We had a great time and I made some observations about the new 995.
    1- it is ammo sensitive....it didn't like Federal 147 grain brass case FMJ with the flat nose, kind of a semi wadcutter.
    2- front sight is hard to see in certain lighting conditions.
    3- mag insertion into grip is temperamental.... it doesn't slide smooth unless it is just right.
    Some of it may be technique and some due to it not being fully broken in.

It shot well, hit where it was aimed and we had fun.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/538wDqf4QNwQyLxs8

Member #
    Liked
    5851 times
    Give it some time and some more rounds downrange and it should start eating almost anything you feed it. Nothing really helps with mag insertion aside from practice, i have the habit of checking it's seating because I've had them slip out after the first shot and cause a jam because I did not fully seat the magazine.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    3198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    My son and I made a trip to the range today. Took a 22 bolt action and the new 995. We had a great time and I made some observations about the new 995.
    1- it is ammo sensitive....it didn't like Federal 147 grain brass case FMJ with the flat nose, kind of a semi wadcutter.
    2- front sight is hard to see in certain lighting conditions.
    3- mag insertion into grip is temperamental.... it doesn't slide smooth unless it is just right.
    Some of it may be technique and some due to it not being fully broken in.

It shot well, hit where it was aimed and we had fun.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/538wDqf4QNwQyLxs8
    Well, mine likes everything in 9mm, EXCEPT 147 grainers...think that bullet is just plain old too long, and the flat point and all. Magazine insertion is kinda funky too, on pretty much all of them from my experience. Remember, you didn't buy a high-end 9mm carbine, but one that compromises some "niceties" for cost.

The Hi Points are functional and simple rifles that are kinda low speed and hi drag guns that you don't want to do three-gun competitions with, but they will defend you on a budget. Make sure you get a couple of extra firing pins from Hi Point. If that rifle has a weak point, that's it...they are cheap, and MOM might even send you one free.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5293 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    Well, mine likes everything in 9mm, EXCEPT 147 grainers...think that bullet is just plain old too long, and the flat point and all. Magazine insertion is kinda funky too, on pretty much all of them from my experience. Remember, you didn't buy a high-end 9mm carbine, but one that compromises some "niceties" for cost.

The Hi Points are functional and simple rifles that are kinda low speed and hi drag guns that you don't want to do three-gun competitions with, but they will defend you on a budget. Make sure you get a couple of extra firing pins from Hi Point. If that rifle has a weak point, that's it...they are cheap, and MOM might even send you one free.
    Thanks for the tip on the ammo and firing pins. I didn't even know I had anything other than 115 grain. I remembered that box was given to me after iI at It again.... not something I would have bought.

Sponsored Links