Henry Big boy / 44mag - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Henry Big boy / 44mag

  1. #11
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    3317
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Katy, Tx.
    Posts
    10,030
    Liked
    16458 times
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ From what I understand there is very little difference between 44 Russian and 44spl. You might have extraction problems with 44 Colt due to the rim.
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.


    When Democracy turns to Tyranny

    I still plan to vote.






  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Member #
    56609
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,738
    Liked
    2210 times
    I really like the Henry Lever Action Rifles, they seem to be the best American-made Lever Action Rifles currently on the market given the poor quality control of Marlin nowadays, but if I were going to get one then I would want it with a side loading gate and constructed from real Stainless Steel. I know they're making them with side loading gates now, but they still don't offer them in Stainless Steel, just some nickel or chrome finish.

    As it stands, I'd sooner settle for a Rossi 92. (Provided I could actually find one.)

    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ From what I understand there is very little difference between 44 Russian and 44spl. You might have extraction problems with 44 Colt due to the rim.
    Modern .45 Long Colt cases have a larger rim which is cut a certain way to make them more reliable in Lever Guns.
    Last edited by Tuco_Ramírez; 07-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

  3. #13
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    7985
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    16,675
    Liked
    19396 times
    For visual comparison:
    A. 44 Russian B. 44 SPCL C. 45 Schofield D. 45 Colt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

    “Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

    With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

    Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    30,239
    Liked
    37887 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    I really like the Henry Lever Action Rifles, they seem to be the best American-made Lever Action Rifles currently on the market given the poor quality control of Marlin nowadays, but if I were going to get one then I would want it with a side loading gate and constructed from real Stainless Steel. I know they're making them with side loading gates now, but they still don't offer them in Stainless Steel, just some nickel or chrome finish.

    As it stands, I'd sooner settle for a Rossi 92. (Provided I could actually find one.)



    Modern .45 Long Colt cases have a larger rim which is cut a certain way to make them more reliable in Lever Guns.
    The later reviews of the Marlin brand seem to indicate that they have addressed this issue.
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

  6. #15
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    7985
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    16,675
    Liked
    19396 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    I really like the Henry Lever Action Rifles, they seem to be the best American-made Lever Action Rifles currently on the market given the poor quality control of Marlin nowadays, but if I were going to get one then I would want it with a side loading gate and constructed from real Stainless Steel. I know they're making them with side loading gates now, but they still don't offer them in Stainless Steel, just some nickel or chrome finish.

    As it stands, I'd sooner settle for a Rossi 92. (Provided I could actually find one.)

    Modern .45 Long Colt cases have a larger rim which is cut a certain way to make them more reliable in Lever Guns.
    Might be worth another look at Marlin. They have made incredible strides in QC over the past couple of years and are putting out a much higher quality product now. If they could just “cut bait and run . . .” from the “Microgroove” rifling and move completely to standard barrel rifling it might solve some headaches.
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

    “Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

    With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

    Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Member #
    56609
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,738
    Liked
    2210 times
    I'm happy to hear that because the Marlin 1895BSS was my top choice for a Lever Gun, but I lost interest after reading nothing but negative reviews, not counting the spin-doctor reviews which were basically; "It worked great after I completely disassembled it, polished/fitted all if the burs, sharp edges, tool marks, imperfections, and other rough surfaces, then reassembled it, but what more can you expect from a value-priced $850 firearm?"

    I'll definitely look into it, thanks.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

  8. #17
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    30,239
    Liked
    37887 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Might be worth another look at Marlin. They have made incredible strides in QC over the past couple of years and are putting out a much higher quality product now. If they could just “cut bait and run . . .” from the “Microgroove” rifling and move completely to standard barrel rifling it might solve some headaches.
    Here's some lever gun aficionados talking about micro groove barrels. They don't seem to mind them.

    https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...roove-rifling/
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •