Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: swapped out a KAK Shockwave for a SB Tactical sba3

Member #
    Liked
    152 times

swapped out a KAK Shockwave for a SB Tactical sba3

EDIT: opps...should have put this in the pistol section

Last edited by rws; 06-21-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    darbo, Yissnakk and silverstring like this.

Member #
    Liked
    19310 times
    I would agree with that trade! The short shotgun thing just doesn't do anything for me. Has anyone really ever put their arm through one of those braces?! I know I wouldn't, just give me the blade type of brace you have there.

Enjoy your new "pistol"!
    NativeTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    658 times
    I am waiting for a bit for prices and supply to level out but i think my old mossberg 500 with regular and 18" barrels and my 20 gauge shockwave are both going to be finding new homes and the $ going to a KS7 filled witt a dozen mini-shells as my house gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30865 times
    Anyone ever shoot a 10" AR over a chronograph to see how much is lost by the short barrel?
    Yissnakk and jtg452 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16451 times
    I used to have the KAK brace but swapped it out for a SIG. I've just never liked the blade brace.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Anyone ever shoot a 10" AR over a chronograph to see how much is lost by the short barrel?
    There's a number of youtube videos examining this. Seems like it's several hundred (~400) feet per second going from 16" to 10" in 5.56/.223 but only about 100 or so for .300 BLK. This loss of velocity is the main thing that keeps me from really wanting a .223 in pistol.
    jtg452, william and NativeTexan like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    2172 times
    But, over penetration has always been a concern with AR's for home defense. Dropping 400 FPS might not be a bad thing. That puts bullet speed at about,, what, 1500 FPS? Still a very fast pistol round.

Member #
    Liked
    10577 times
    The velocity loss is the last thing I would worry about with a short barrel 5.56mm AR inside a house for defense. The concussion in an enclosed room is harmful, then there is the flame. IMO, it is not useful for home defense. .300 Blackout is much better, especially with subs, but even the supersonics are better than a 5.56mm. Anyone contemplating a short barrel 5.56mm AR for home defense should borrow one and shoot in in an enclosed room without hearing protection, which is where most of you will be in a real use scenario.

I have the same issue with Magnum revolvers for home defense. Over pressure (from firing in an enclosed room) can kill in weapons like a rocket launcher, missile, recoiless rifle, etc. That is why most of them now have a small charge to kick the projectile out before the main motor kicks in. So while I don't think overpressure/concussion from a magnum revolver will kill you, it can be painful, if not incapacitating. It should go into your thought process on how to defend in the home.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    7331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    But, over penetration has always been a concern with AR's for home defense. Dropping 400 FPS might not be a bad thing. That puts bullet speed at about,, what, 1500 FPS? Still a very fast pistol round.
    The problem is, there's only 2 variables that come into play there. Mass and velocity. The .22 centerfires have always relied on velocity because the small bore diameter precludes them from having much mass. Cutting their velocity quickly lowers it's effectiveness.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    The velocity loss is the last thing I would worry about with a short barrel 5.56mm AR inside a house for defense. The concussion in an enclosed room is harmful, then there is the flame. IMO, it is not useful for home defense. .300 Blackout is much better, especially with subs, but even the supersonics are better than a 5.56mm. Anyone contemplating a short barrel 5.56mm AR for home defense should borrow one and shoot in in an enclosed room without hearing protection, which is where most of you will be in a real use scenario.

I have the same issue with Magnum revolvers for home defense. Over pressure (from firing in an enclosed room) can kill in weapons like a rocket launcher, missile, recoiless rifle, etc. That is why most of them now have a small charge to kick the projectile out before the main motor kicks in. So while I don't think overpressure/concussion from a magnum revolver will kill you, it can be painful, if not incapacitating. It should go into your thought process on how to defend in the home.
    You're assuming I'd want it for home defense. That would be wrong. With these minimal calibers, I would not wanna give up too much on a hog. You see, I'm thinking truck guns, compact, yet easy and quick to get at when a pig crosses our private road. I don't think any AR caliber would do short of a .450 Bushmaster or .458 SOCOM and those, I've heard, are not very nice to fire with a brace. I've even heard braces don't hold up under that much recoil.

As to any thought of a magnum round being painful shot indoors, it's not pleasant, but it's not "painful". I have fired a 12 gauge indoors, didn't kill me. It did quite kill the rat I was shooting at.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links