Like Tree21Likes

Thread: New Rifle Round

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    I've said it on other threads about the AR (for hunting) and the .350 "Legend" - if you want to hunt with the M4 platform, go either .450 Bushmaster or .458 Socom. They will get the job done. .300 Blackout is also a very valid option but is, for the most part, ballistically similar to the 7.62x39 unless you are suppressing and launching heavy bullets. My state has laws on how many rounds you can have in the gun and on your person so this rules out the higher capacity that the platform can support. With that in mind, there are certainly better platforms for hunting, with respects to accuracy, weight and cost (Savage Axis .308 Win, for example, can be had for just over $300 with optics).
    I thought quite a bit about getting a Bushy upper and may in the future, but I'm satisfied with my SKS for hog night hunting here in the woods. The big boys, .450 and the Socom are woods calibers, too, limited in range. On my west Texas adventures, I'd still take my .308 or my 7 mag for extended range on deer and big animals like elk.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I thought quite a bit about getting a Bushy upper and may in the future, but I'm satisfied with my SKS for hog night hunting here in the woods. The big boys, .450 and the Socom are woods calibers, too, limited in range. On my west Texas adventures, I'd still take my .308 or my 7 mag for extended range on deer and big animals like elk.
    Exactly that ^^^. If you are not interested in shooting suppressed, the 7.62x39 is an as good, if not better caliber than .300 BLK and .308 or 7mm are much better options at range. The .350 "Legend" seems to be a solution looking for a problem...and when you have to really cherry pick your comparisons...it just sounds like that door to door vacuum cleaner salesman...

Now if you happen to be an AR platform "collector" (hoarder) then, go for it....just not really something I find appealing. IF it used standard AR mags and a standard .358 bullet, or even could be converted from a .223 cartridge, then it might have interested me, but just too many negatives and no real positives that I see...
    olfarhors and NativeTexan like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    26489 times
    IF you notice it seems that every new cartridge, whether rilfe or pistol basically hone in on doing one thing betetr than all the others already out there and those that have long been abandoned.
    it would be somewhat interstign to the few that are maybe looking for that One function (like long distance shooting) and not use for much of anything else.
    but there are way to many calibers already in exoastance to pick from that will do several things just as good or better than the newbies usually.
    I always think of the 45 GAP and all those Short Magnum rifle calibers when this discussion comes up.
    just the same things in different packages, but hey build it and they will buy!
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    IF you notice it seems that every new cartridge, whether rilfe or pistol basically hone in on doing one thing betetr than all the others already out there and those that have long been abandoned.
    it would be somewhat interstign to the few that are maybe looking for that One function (like long distance shooting) and not use for much of anything else.
    but there are way to many calibers already in exoastance to pick from that will do several things just as good or better than the newbies usually.
    I always think of the 45 GAP and all those Short Magnum rifle calibers when this discussion comes up.
    just the same things in different packages, but hey build it and they will buy!
    Much as the various AR compatible rounds fit the gas impingement AR platform, the short magnums deliver magnum performance in a short action bolt gun. I'd see that as a positive if I were still walking miles in rough mountainous country to hunt mulies, but I don't anymore. My short action is a great deer rifle in .308. I got the 7 mag before all those short actions were the latest and greatest and, well, the big 7 is kinda a specialized gun for me and ain't broke. If I get to take an elk with it this winter, I'll probably never need it again. I'll just stick it back in the safe. Heck, I thought 25 years ago I'd never need it again, then this elk hunting opportunity came up.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2719 times
    This cartridge is more aimed at people that have to deal with laws like Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. It's a nice option and bolt guns are being made for it. Several LGS are stocking them, but ammo options are limited on availability.

It's the straight wall case requirement that Ohio has that affects my deer hunting. However, I've guns in .45-70, .45 Colt, and .357. All of them have worked fine. On top of it, .45ACP and 10mm are allowed in the rimless category. One fellow I know got a clean hit with a Hi Point 10mm and that deer dropped like a rock.

While I find the cartridge interesting, I will not be looking into it. Heck I even still have my Slug guns, one is with the rare 28" smooth bore for a Marlin 120 (Paid for that barrel at slug shoots)

Maloy
    NativeTexan and Yissnakk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Tried one at the range

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Shot one at a range
    Yissnakk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    Precisely, more states are allowing straight wall cartridges for deer hunting. The Ruger American and Winchester XPR are at all the local stores. Winchester ammo in stock at all the LGS, deer season in 150 and 180gr, $10-18 per box of 20. It is a good option for someone who would like to shoot 30-30 but is not allowed to. Ammunition pricing and availability around here is much better than 357 max. Rifle availability is much better than 357 max.

350 Legend out of a Ruger American is much more accurate than the 10mm high point that didn’t want to hold tight past 70 yards.
    Last edited by TaurusArmedGuy50; Yesterday at 07:38 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post
    This cartridge is more aimed at people that have to deal with laws like Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. It's a nice option and bolt guns are being made for it. Several LGS are stocking them, but ammo options are limited on availability.

It's the straight wall case requirement that Ohio has that affects my deer hunting. However, I've guns in .45-70, .45 Colt, and .357. All of them have worked fine. On top of it, .45ACP and 10mm are allowed in the rimless category. One fellow I know got a clean hit with a Hi Point 10mm and that deer dropped like a rock.

While I find the cartridge interesting, I will not be looking into it. Heck I even still have my Slug guns, one is with the rare 28" smooth bore for a Marlin 120 (Paid for that barrel at slug shoots)

Maloy
    Indiana has come around a bit - the reg really only applies to public lands :

Some cartridges legal for deer hunting on public include the .350 Legend, .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.
    On private lands, there is really no serious limit -
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches and have a maximum case length of 3 inches
    • The cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is .243 inches (same as 6mm) or larger

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathburden123 View Post
    Shot one at a range
    Man - you can't just leave something like that here! AAAANNND? How was it? Accuracy? Recoil? Functionality?

Inquiring minds....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links