Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: RANGE REPORT: Marlin Model 25 Bolt Action Rifle .22LR

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times

RANGE REPORT: Marlin Model 25 Bolt Action Rifle .22LR

Hello Friends…

This is my Range Report on the Marlin 25 bolt action rifle. This Rifle is not made anymore, and from the information that I have in relation to the serial number, I believe this is a 1988 made rifle. It came with a 7 round magazine… which I was able to buy a new original manufacture magazine online (currently on route). There is also parts available for this rifle that I have seen out of the internet, so that is also great.

One thing to note, is I sustained a wrist injury to my wrist that also affects my fingers. This is a partial permanent disability however I can “still” shoot .22LR but I am still strengthening my wrist.. and also my aim is a bit off still. I am getting there.. and I am getting better in regards to shooting. (Thank You God).

I used to sell rifles way back, many years ago.. and this Model 25 is the SAME rifle.. that I used to sell many years ago.. that I wanted to buy but could not because of all of those restrictions / licensing and the money to do so at that time.. up in the North East.. So this Marlin 25 that I bought a few days ago used, in a private sale down here in the south east… I can transport and fire legally to and from the shooting range in my state, as long as it is in a locked case in the trunk.. just like my hand guns.

And also to note.. it is “HOT” out today.. even in the indoor range (the HVAC was struggling).. so I did not shoot as many rounds as I wanted.. but I was able to shoot the following:

Aguila Super Extra High Velocity rounds with the jacketed/plated round nose

Aguila Standard Velocity Match, lead round nose, they are “not” eley primers like there high velocity, they have on the boxes that they are “Agulia Prime” so their own primers I take it.

Geco Standard Velocity, German import that suppose to cycle well as the lead noses are "smoothed" more during manufacturing. Standard Velocity also.

Federal Target Standard Velocity, lead round nose (the bulk stuff, white box 500 quantity).

No scope, just using the sights on the rifle itself:

The Green Circles are the Aguila Standard Velocity Match, and those were shot in those areas as intended about 15 yards.

The Blue Circles (and yes I only loaded four in the mag’) was the Federal Target Standard Velocity at 15 yards.

The Red Circle are the Geco Standard Velocity at 15 yards

The Orange Circles are the Aguila Super Extra High Velocity rounds, and those are fired those areas intended, but at more than 25 yards.

Name:  Marlin Model 25 Rifle.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  138.9 KB

What everyone has told me about Marlin rifles like this one, is 100% true.. it’s a “tack driver” it’s wicked accurate. I truly believe that! This is the “best” firearm purchase that I have made.. really. If you come across one of these, BUY IT!

Thank You for reading my Range Report.
    Last edited by HappyTom; 05-25-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Member #
    Liked
    4656 times
    You got me interested so I dug mine out. Mine was manufactured in 1985.
    Name:  20141226_145152.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  2.94 MB

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark38090 View Post
    You got me interested so I dug mine out. Mine was manufactured in 1985.
    Name:  20141226_145152.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  2.94 MB
    Nice, did yours have those sling swivels already pre-installed? Mine does not. :-)
    bobbojama likes this.
    RYRYRYRY

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4656 times
    My dad installed them Christmas day, 1985.
    HappyTom, jwc007 and taurustoter like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2721 times
    My right wrist was crushed, and the ulna and radius were shattered right behind the wrist. In short, the worst combination to have. My left wrist was broken and the left ulna and radius shattered in about the middle of the arm nearly 9 years ago.

In the right there is one plate that my wrist bones are wired to, and there are three plates holding the ulna and radius together no to mention a couple of bone graphs. In the left, are two plates holding the ulna and radius together.

After the final surgery, and physical therapy, it tool 11,000 .22LR to get back to being mediocre. I use to be a good 600 yard shooter, today it is about 300 meters. Pistol I'm still working on nearly 9 years after the accident. I had issues loading magazines and all I could load was revolvers for the first year. The nerve damage is horrible to deal with and your hands not doing what you want them to do on top of the numbness. I'm a machinist by trade on top of that.

All you can do is keep shooting and practice. I didn't give up and kept at it. I also vowed to get back to shooting center-fire magnum level pistols. I bought a .454 Casull when both arms and wrist were in cast. Keep at it and don't worry about accuracy. It will take time to get some of it back. I won't lie to you either, you'll most likely not get it back to your satisfaction. It will never be back to the days you were 100%.

Don't give up on larger center-fired pistols either. I carried a 4" 627 with light 125gr .38 loads for nearly 2 years. It felt like my 992 with 22 mag. 3 to 5 yards was my limit, over time, I got back to 50 yards off hand. I got to really like the 627 and appreciate it more than I did before the accident.

Keep burning up the .22 LR. Also, think about up close .22 shooting. Very small targets at 10 to 15 yards will eventually translate into 100 yard shots. For a long time I made it a mission to shoot every week, and I do not go more than two. Today, my right has nearly 80% movement, and the left 90%. It can take more than 5 years for the nerve damage heal. The more you stretch beyond what you think your limits are, the more you will get back and adapt.

As for small targets, cheap Walmart aspirin tablets at 10 yards makes a very challenging and frustrating target. I used tape to hold them in place on a sheet of card board or hang them from a kite string with tape. That Marlin 25 will do it and beyond.

Maloy
    HappyTom and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post
    All you can do is keep shooting and practice. I didn't give up and kept at it. I also vowed to get back to shooting center-fire magnum level pistols. I bought a .454 Casull when both arms and wrist were in cast. Keep at it and don't worry about accuracy. It will take time to get some of it back. I won't lie to you either, you'll most likely not get it back to your satisfaction. It will never be back to the days you were 100%.
    Maloy
    I'm trying not to post about my past injury that much on here... as I don't want people to get sick and tired of reading about my issue... but when I post range reports I do tell people about my past injury... just so people that don't know.. know that my accuracy is off.

If I did not say it before, know that I really appreciate your past posts and this current post to me about your injury. I have already accepted that fact that it's never going to be 100%. If I had to do it again, I would get the surgery again as my wrist / hand would fail if I did not have the surgery, and end result is I would need a four corner fusion and almost "no" mobility. So know.. that "I am" happy with the shooting that I am doing as of now, and the strength training that I am doing now (after I went thru two rounds of physical therapy) the wrist seems to be slowly getting there to some degree.

I got rid of my 9mm, and 12 gauge shotgun but I am keeping my .380ACP and all of my .22LR firearms. I can shoot the .380ACP one handed, and that is something I will work on two handed after I get a bit more proficient with .22LR and less nerve damage and more wrist strength. What is getting to me.. is there is some people that think that I need to wait a year and then my wrist will have full functionality.. like it will "magically" be all better again. I'm going back to the Doctor soon, and from what I understand there is nothing else to be done.. it is what it is... and I'm going to get from Him, all my limitations in writing... and there is "no more" waiting another year for any sort of magical healing.
    Last edited by HappyTom; 05-26-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    RYRYRYRY

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20363 times
    I've had a Marlin Model 25 for many years, now. It's been great!
    Dispatched a lot of small Game and Targets with it.

Marlin 25 with Tasco World Class 3x-9x 32mm Scope
    HappyTom and taurustoter like this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    19321 times
    Looks like a great shooting rifle! Have fun with it!
    HappyTom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3108 times
    Nice rifles guys! You just can't beat the older .22 LR chambered rifles...they really made them well.
    HappyTom likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    827 times
    I have a 25MN made in 1995 I bought it used with a cheap scope on it to hunt groundhogs. It is deadly on groundhogs with amazing accuracy. It was well worth the $130 I paid for it in 2002.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links