Ruger announces 350 Legend in American and MPR AR - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Ruger announces 350 Legend in American and MPR AR

Member #
    Liked
    1446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rexherring View Post
    My .357 cast should work well in that ranch rifle for some cheap shooting.
    I like your thinking!
    Yissnakk and jwc007 like this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7578 times
    Pros:
    +uses standard .223/5.56 BCG
    +Uses standard AR .223/5.56 mags
    +can probably fire standard .357 bullets
    +reloaders will probably be able to convert .223 brass to .350 Legend

Cons:
    -Looks to headspace on the case mouth...could be dodgy
    -Seems to be trying to fit a very special niche - recoils less than a .450 BM, hits harder at 200 yds than a .300BLK, penetrates further than a .243 Win at 200 yds...but no direct comparison across the board to these three rounds...
    --and extrapolating from the above, it definitely does not hit as hard not penetrate as far as the .450 BM, also probably does not penetrate as far as the .300BLK due to the projectile profile, and most likely recoils more than the .300BLK as well (possibly projectile weight dependent).

Still looks interesting and could most certainly be configured as a pistol AR. Now don't get me wrong, I am not knocking it, just want to see it being independently reviewed and its capabilities tested before I start singing its praises
    MoKen and jwc007 like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    7348 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    Pros:
    +uses standard .223/5.56 BCG
    +Uses standard AR .223/5.56 mags
    +can probably fire standard .357 bullets
    +reloaders will probably be able to convert .223 brass to .350 Legend

Cons:
    -Looks to headspace on the case mouth...could be dodgy
    -Seems to be trying to fit a very special niche - recoils less than a .450 BM, hits harder at 200 yds than a .300BLK, penetrates further than a .243 Win at 200 yds...but no direct comparison across the board to these three rounds...
    --and extrapolating from the above, it definitely does not hit as hard not penetrate as far as the .450 BM, also probably does not penetrate as far as the .300BLK due to the projectile profile, and most likely recoils more than the .300BLK as well (possibly projectile weight dependent).

Still looks interesting and could most certainly be configured as a pistol AR. Now don't get me wrong, I am not knocking it, just want to see it being independently reviewed and its capabilities tested before I start singing its praises
    I haven't looked, but there's most likely rifle bullets in the proper bore diameter already on the market. There's a good many .35 rifle rounds out there.

I note that they left the 200gr .358 bullets (I've seen molds for at least 2 different bullets) out of their list. I wonder if it's too long to feed through a AR15 mag.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7348 times
    I checked this morning and most bullet manufacturers make a 200gr .358" rifle bullet that's intended for the .358 Win Mag. There's also a cast 200gr GC on the market.

I remember a mold for a 230gr .358" but I really doubt it would feed. The thing looked like a flying Coke can. On the other hand, it would make for a nasty sub sonic round if you could beat it into submission and make it feed reliably.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7578 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I checked this morning and most bullet manufacturers make a 200gr .358" rifle bullet that's intended for the .358 Win Mag. There's also a cast 200gr GC on the market.

I remember a mold for a 230gr .358" but I really doubt it would feed. The thing looked like a flying Coke can. On the other hand, it would make for a nasty sub sonic round if you could beat it into submission and make it feed reliably.
    As they seem to be running pistol length gas systems, that sounds very likely. Faster magnum style powder, lower loads, deeper seating to drive up pressure...

Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    went to the link, saw the precision rifle in 300 prc, waiting for the hawkeye long range to get that chambering and then ordering it.
    Ahhh yes, it's all coming back to me now. Peter Sellers

Member #
    Liked
    3566 times
    FAQ’s from Winchester. Notable answers.
    1, no parent case.
    2, can not use 223/5.56 cases
    3, standard AR mag will not work.

I am still wondering why use a .357 bullet in a .355 bore?

https://winchester.com/350-legend/faq

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...ng-Website.pdf
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Ostendo Non Ostendo

A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights.
    The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.” —Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7578 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    FAQ’s from Winchester. Notable answers.
    1, no parent case.
    2, can not use 223/5.56 cases
    3, standard AR mag will not work.

I am still wondering why use a .357 bullet in a .355 bore?

https://winchester.com/350-legend/faq

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...ng-Website.pdf
    Well, that strikes most of the "Pro's" off my original list...becoming more niche by the second...
    jwc007 likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20363 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    Well, that strikes most of the "Pro's" off my original list...becoming more niche by the second...
    Same here, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.

Not being able to use standard AR Magazines is really disappointing.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    10586 times
    My understanding is that the .350 Legend is a straight sided case to comply with hunting regulations in certain states that call for shotgun, or straight sided case cartridges to be used in hunting. Friend of mine said he thinks it is very comparable ballistically to the .35 Rem. He also said it is quite a stretch to say it is more powerful than the 30-30. He thought they were comparing its most powerful loading against the least powerful loading of the 30-30.

Uses modified AR mags, just like the 65.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC. Basically the same magazine tube with a different follower. The cartridge body is, like these other 2 cartridges, larger than the 5.56mm.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 05-10-2019 at 08:23 AM.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links