Anyone else had Federal Ammo issues?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By scoutfish
  • 2 Post By GhostHorse
  • 1 Post By Ebha

Thread: Anyone else had Federal Ammo issues?

Member #
    Liked
    189 times

Anyone else had Federal Ammo issues?

I have shot Federal and American Eagle ammo in my pistols with no problems but last weekend we were shooting my Browning BAR Safari .270. We were shooting 130 grain @ 100 yds. All told we shot a box of Remington a box of Winchester Super-X & 2 boxes of Federal Powershok (bought from different stores on different dates and in different cities). The Remington and Winchester shot flawlessly and clean. The Federal however kept losing the primers when firing causing FTFs and FTEs. Ultimately out of 36 Federal Bullets shot (I threw the last 4 in the garbage) 14 lost their primers. We liked to have never got my rifle unjammed and when we did we found 8 primers lodged in it. Initially we thought the rifle was just being picky but I clean it after every 20 shells like Browning advises and let her cool off every few shots. We thought possibly a bad batch of ammo got through Q&A but as I said above bought at different stores, in different cities on different dates so a bad batch is unlikely. Just curious ifanyone else has had this problem with any of the Federal Ammunition?

Name:  20140905_182920.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  1.76 MB
    I use the 1st to advocate for the 2nd and pray I never have to plead the 5th.

"To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt....I am for a government rigorously frugal and simple." - Thomas Jefferson

NRA , USCCA & NAGR member
    PT 809
    PT 92 AF Para
    And numerous other "Little Friends"..

Member #
    Liked
    10227 times
    Haven't had any isues with Federal, but I don't have it in .270 either.

As far as two different cities on two different dates, that doesn't really matter as the ammo is mass produced and sent all over in batches through distributors. One distributor might handle 40 independent and 30 chain retailers in 6 or 7 states along a regional area.

Could be a bad batch of 15,000 to 30,000 bullets in a single day.

I'd call the place you bought it, but also call Federal's public relations dept.
    Lil Beaver likes this.
    "A constitution defines and limits the powers of the government it creates. It therefore follows, as a natural and also a logical result, that the governmental exercise of any power not authorized by the constitution is an assumed power, and therefore illegal."
    --Thomas Paine, Constitutions, Governments, and Charters, 1805

Member #
    Liked
    31789 times
    It's Obama's fault.
    scoutfish and Ebha like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31457 times
    No, haven't heard anything about Federal ammo in general. I also just replaced my car shotgun ammo with Federal 00 buck. It's supposed to be top shelf.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    5856 times
    Should be a batch number inside the fla of the boxes, contact Federal and I'm sure they'll make good on the ammo in some way.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    5095 times
    The only ammo issue i have had lately is not being able to afford any! But seriously, call them and im sure they will make it right. Even if its only a discount on your next box.

Creek
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

"Stupid people shouldn't breed or own guns; unfortuantely they do both..." - ​MOONDAWG

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    True Scoutfish the stuff is produced in such large quantities I guess it could still be same batch and I had not thought of the batch # in the flap Montkun thanks. I am planning on contacting Federal and see what they say. As always thanks everyone much appreciated.
    Montkun likes this.
    I use the 1st to advocate for the 2nd and pray I never have to plead the 5th.

"To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt....I am for a government rigorously frugal and simple." - Thomas Jefferson

NRA , USCCA & NAGR member
    PT 809
    PT 92 AF Para
    And numerous other "Little Friends"..

Sponsored Links