Any other Tokarev 9mm experiences?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Any other Tokarev 9mm experiences?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Member #
    20550
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,167
    Liked
    7080 times

    Any other Tokarev 9mm experiences?

    About 3 weeks ago, I bought a new Zastava made Tokarev (M70a) pistol from Serbia, chambered in 9mm luger rather than the 7.62 x 25. Anyone else have experience with this gun?

    I shot the Tokarev today, and I must say, it was not a pleasant or comfortable experience. Strange and loud report, handles recoil poorly and it's dumping empty cases right back in my face. With that kind of recoil and report, it's about as pleasant as stiffer than average magnum loads out of my little .357 Ruger SP101. The safety officer asked me what type of gun it was - he'd never heard a report like that. I had to agree. When I shot it the first few times, I thought it was one of the other guns being fired.

    I'm not even mentioning the many fail to feeds and fail to ejects it had, because that might be break-in. (Might be related to the case ejection patterns). I field stripped the gun and cleaned it prior to shooting, but did not polish the feed ramp, as the recoil spring disassembly process was a little foreign to me. I'll try that when I clean it this time.

    I bought the gun because the Toks look wickedly cool, I love the way the skinny frame feels when I'm holding it, it's culturally interesting, the price was low and I heard some people say good things about them. As far as firing function, I found it to be somewhat crude and unsophisticated. And it doesn't look like the magazines can be disassembled for cleaning.

    Good points? It seemed to be an inherently accurate pistol. Groupings unusually tight (For me ), at least at the shorter distances. But I'm thinking that once I get the feed ramp polished or broken in so that it's more reliable, I might sell it off.

    Not my cup of tea, I guess.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    12587
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,227
    Liked
    644 times
    That's strange usually guns from eastern europe are rock solid.
    Rossi likes this.
    Your Freedom To Be You Includes My Freedom To Be Free From You - Andrew Wilkow

  3. #3
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    18139
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    39,043
    Liked
    46227 times


    You new it was coming. Can't recall ever seeing one, sounds interesting.
    Rossi and morrcarr67 like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

    The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.



    Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22084
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    12,233
    Liked
    19084 times
    It may be just your pistol. I have had a few as has my brother. They have all been very fine no problem pistols and extremely accurate.
    Rossi likes this.
    I have often heard that "Change is Good". If this is a fact, why does history tend to repeat itself so often. I'm guessing that it is so we can learn from our mistakes that change is good?

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    13625
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Alabama
    Posts
    2,932
    Liked
    961 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    It may be just your pistol. I have had a few as has my brother. They have all been very fine no problem pistols and extremely accurate.
    I agee.
    Rossi likes this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Member #
    20636
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Shawnee country
    Posts
    1,575
    Liked
    1127 times
    I've got a Russian pre-import TT-33 and it's solid. Chambered for 7.65x25, it does have a louder report but the recoil isn't bad at all.
    Rossi likes this.
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    29744
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    the UP of michigan
    Posts
    2,024
    Liked
    1223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    About 3 weeks ago, I bought a new Zastava made Tokarev (M70a) pistol from Serbia, chambered in 9mm luger rather than the 7.62 x 25. Anyone else have experience with this gun?

    I shot the Tokarev today, and I must say, it was not a pleasant or comfortable experience. Strange and loud report, handles recoil poorly and it's dumping empty cases right back in my face. With that kind of recoil and report, it's about as pleasant as stiffer than average magnum loads out of my little .357 Ruger SP101. The safety officer asked me what type of gun it was - he'd never heard a report like that. I had to agree. When I shot it the first few times, I thought it was one of the other guns being fired.

    I'm not even mentioning the many fail to feeds and fail to ejects it had, because that might be break-in. (Might be related to the case ejection patterns). I field stripped the gun and cleaned it prior to shooting, but did not polish the feed ramp, as the recoil spring disassembly process was a little foreign to me. I'll try that when I clean it this time.

    I bought the gun because the Toks look wickedly cool, I love the way the skinny frame feels when I'm holding it, it's culturally interesting, the price was low and I heard some people say good things about them. As far as firing function, I found it to be somewhat crude and unsophisticated. And it doesn't look like the magazines can be disassembled for cleaning.

    Good points? It seemed to be an inherently accurate pistol. Groupings unusually tight (For me ), at least at the shorter distances. But I'm thinking that once I get the feed ramp polished or broken in so that it's more reliable, I might sell it off.

    Not my cup of tea, I guess.
    Sorry Rossi, I have to say"thats why they send the darn things here".......sorry I just had to do it....lol although I have a friend that has a MAK and I do like that little baby,very accurate and a nice size.
    Last edited by taurusgunner; 04-13-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    Rossi likes this.
    Some people are more trouble than they are worth,I'm glad your worth something....Mrs. T.G....

    "Cognito, ergo armitium sum"....(I think therefore I am armed).

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    20550
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,167
    Liked
    7080 times
    I agree that most Eastern European guns are pretty solid. And I think this one is, too. I think buffing the feed ramp will take care of most of the jams, and break-in probably will take care of the rest. I have two CZ's which are wonderful.

    I just don't think this gun fits my personality. It does, however, make me appreciate the engineering that went into my Taurus PT145 and my Ruger P345. Those are my two .45 automatics, and they both have noticeably less felt recoil than the Tok, which is only 9mm. Really wanted to like this gun, and I can see why so many folks do. Maybe it's just me. Probably is.

    Anyway, my brother is going to buy it from me, so we'll see what he thinks. I told him about all of my reservations, but he wants it anyway - so I'll give him a little discount. Sorry about my continuing lack of pic capability. Here it is from the net.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    taurusgunner likes this.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    18139
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    39,043
    Liked
    46227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    ... Sorry about my continuing lack of pic capability. Here it is from the net.

    I know the feeling with the pics, my camera is giving fits off and on.
    Rossi likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

    The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.



    Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

  11. #10
    Moderator

    Member #
    25564
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    10,879
    Liked
    18866 times
    I don't know Tokarevs, but will second the statement that Makarovs are solid pistols that shoot very accurately. I, too, think it might be your particular gun.
    Rossi likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Tokarev problems
    By NoobCannon in forum Other Handguns
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM
  2. Tokarev goodies!
    By RevolverFan in forum Other Handguns
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM
  3. How do you say Tokarev?
    By lazyluke in forum The Firing Line
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 08:23 PM
  4. Anyone shoots a Tokarev?
    By Gray_Wolf in forum Other Handguns
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
  5. Tokarev tt33 vs CZ 52
    By texasmaan in forum Other Handguns
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 06:33 AM

Search tags for this page

m70a magazines

,
m70a vs m88a
,
tokarev 9mm
,
tokarev m70a
,

tokarev m70a magazines

,
zastava m70a magazine
,
zastava m70a magazine for sale
,
zastava m70a magazines for sale
,

zastava m70a problems

,
zastava m70a tokarev
Click on a term to search for related topics.