1911's - Do They Require a Lot of Maintenance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 1911's - Do They Require a Lot of Maintenance?

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

1911's - Do They Require a Lot of Maintenance?

I was reading a review of the PT-745, and the author said that the advantage of a 745 (or a pistol like it) over any 1911 model is that the 1911 requires so much more maintenance and tinkering. Is this true? I've never heard of this before.

People with a 1911 model...what do you think?

Member #
    Liked
    1746 times
    Definitely not. Perhaps the reviewer was thinking along the lines of take down procedure. If that were the case, The PT745 would be easier. It does take a little work and some tools (a bushing wrench is useful) to take down a 1911. But when you are used to it (as with anything learned), it's not a big deal. BTW, I am going to have to say that the 1911 will probably continue to outlast the PT745. John Browning made the 1911 to perform, and in arduous circumstances. All the 1911 needs is a good cleaning, a good lube on wear points, and occasional inspection of certain parts such as the barrel link, etc. Otherwise, you can't do any better.
    bre346 likes this.
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would say the newer 1911's are as reliable and anything on the market. The manufacturers have learned from many years of custom gunsmthing. When I bought my first Colt it needed some throat work in order to feed hollow points. But was 100% with ball ammo. Companies like Kimber, Sig, Les Bear produce a very good out of the box gun. I can't say about the Taurus PT1911 as I have never seen one. But I would bet it will be good to go also.
    Last edited by LG45; 05-22-2012 at 12:54 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35207 times
    The 1911 doesn't require any more maintenance than would be proper for any semi auto firearm. I have been shooting 1911's for decades along with other semi autos and revolvers.

Tinkering in a 1911 is a matter of boys with toys as far as I am concerned. You can do alot to it, personalize it etc... My 8 year old daughter dresses up dolls, us older boys who never grew up put new grips on our 1911's to make them purty!

But a stock 1911 functions just as well as anything else out of the box.

Maybe others will disagree but thats how I see it.
    bre346 and Wolf1477 like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Neither of my 1911's require more maintenance. They get cleaned after shooting like any other weapon.

Member #
    Liked
    10943 times
    The 1911 has over 100 years of fine tuning the design behind it. NTM, WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam to test its reliability in the field under all conditions. No other pistol design is so beloved as the 1911. Our military no longer uses the 1911 (except for some SF and USMC units) only because our politicians force them to.
    Wolf1477 and TexasAviator like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    10943 times
    Who wrote that review so I know to stay away from his idiotic viewpoints?
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    644 times
    Maintence? No... now if your used to a glock where you basically put one drop of oil on it rub it around and clean off the excess then yeah, 1911's just run best when properly lubed and so long as you clean them they'll be fine. Will they shoot like 10k rounds like a glock prolly will without a cleaning? Nah... but you should know how to at least strip and clean your pistol anyhow.

Just remember 1911s like to run wet, esp one with a parkerized finish. It's a good idea to actually put oil all over the gun let it kinda get into the finish and clean off what's left because as the gun gets hot with shooting the pores will open up in the finish and absorb the oil abit more, which is pretty much how a parkerized finish protects a gun... kinda like seasoning a cast iron skillet.

But "alot" of maintenance? hardly... Are they hard to break down? no... honestly my grandmothers old sewing machine is more complicated to work then taking down a 1911.
    Your Freedom To Be You Includes My Freedom To Be Free From You - Andrew Wilkow

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Who wrote that review so I know to stay away from his idiotic viewpoints?
    I'm trying to "re-find" it, so I can inform the thread.

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    yep, that's a new and different twist than i have heard before?
    I would say that its depending on whether the weapon (either) is properly assembled and manufactured.
    if so then i don't really see this as any different maintenance issues.
    the 1911 extractor "may" wear or break before the 745?
    then again it may still be running along with the old worn out PT1911 when the 745 is in the parts bin??
    I never under estimate the 1911 after seeing some extremely old ones at the range just runnning along to beat the band.
    Now some 1911's do require a bit of breaking in to become their best, just depends on the individual gun and the manufacture.
    I got a couple Taurus that were tight and the RIA and the Para was that way for about 3-400 riounds , always functioned but got a lot sweeter after the rounds through them.
    Last edited by olfarhors; 05-22-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    bre346 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links