Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Beretta PX4 Storm .40 cal Sub Compact

24K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  tacticalfun 
#1 ·
Picked up my Ruger MKII today at my LGS. As I was leaving a Beretta PX4 Storm .40 Sub Compact caught my eye. You ever pick up a firearm, check it out and something just feels to right. I have owned a few guns in my days. Have a few now. But something about this one felt just right. Don't know what it was but she was ment to be with me. For me it's the perfect weight, balance and size. So I put a down payment on it. Will pick it up at the end of the month. Gun fund is kinda short as of right now. Does anyone have one? what do you think of it? Put my 1911 on the back burner of another year cause of it's feel. Wanted a .40 anyways. Will post pics when I pick it up.

#2 ·
I've been wondering how a cycling system that turns the barrel works, so be sure and give us a write up.

...and if you don't have pictures, it didn't happen.

#3 ·
No problem with the pics. Will post review and pics at the end of the month.

#4 ·
I'm to understand that the full size version and the compact use the rotating barrel. The sub-compact uses a conventional tilting barrel system. I like the PX4 also and am looking forward to the range report and pix.

Reactions: Taurus_9mm
#6 ·
;D
I got the PX4 SC in 9mm, I didn't want the 40 cal as i do not want another caliber to stock.
I have ran about 300-350 rounds through mine and it is smooth as silk, quite accurate for a 3 inch barrel as well.
I did need to bump the rear sight over a bit and let me tell you up front if you need to do this --"HEAT" them sights are tight as dicks hatband an seem to have a Locktite type product under them as well! :rolleyes:
they also come off backwards to most weapons. (out the left side)
Beretta offers an adjustable set of sights for about 60 bucks if you are interested, i like the fixed myself on a tote gun. :eek:
As mentioned above the standard and the compact has the rotating barrel and is made in Italy, the SC (sub compact) has a standard tilting barrel, this put me off a bit at first but after shooting a couple the accuracy was there.
the SC does have a bit of recoil so the 40 might be a bit surprizing.
I love the feel of the pistol and of course with three different grips you can adjust this to your particular hand. :rolleyes:
One magazine also has a fold down pinky extension on it, if you need/ want more finger room then pop it down, if not then it can stay up!
the weapon this small ( same overall size as the 709 except a tad wider/heavier) that carries 13 +1 rounds makes a pretty lethal package in a carry weapon.
the look of the weapon is to me just classic Berretta!
i think you will like!! ;)

Attachments

#7 ·
GreenWolf70 said:
I've been wondering how a cycling system that turns the barrel works, so be sure and give us a write up.

...and if you don't have pictures, it didn't happen.
Well Green i got the PX4 SC as well and so no rotating barrel on it!
I do have a Stoeger Cougar that has the rotating barrel, its of course the exact gun as the Beretta Cougar.
the weapon has less felt recoil than any 9mm i have , including a model 99.
it is also in my hands as accurate as any 9mm I own , this is with a 4 inch barrel.
the rotating barrel turns about 1/4 -1/3 revolution as it moves either forward or rearward making for an extremely strong lockup, it also insures that the barrel returns to the same position at each chambering and firing.
I wish the PX4 SC had the rotating barrel but I undertand that it takes a bit more height to use it and the PX4 SC is a very short pistol in length and height and i guess thats why they didn't use it?
anyway if you get a chance to shoot one with a rotating barrel , do so!
i think you will be surprized by it.

#8 ·
I knew some of you guys would have one. From what you are saying. I am sure I will love the gun. Thanks. I had hoped I wasn't going to end up with a pretty gun that I hated.

#9 ·
Thanks, Olfarhors. Good report and pics. I've got some friends who want one and I'll pas the news along to them....still, I don't think it's my cup of tea. I'll stick with my PT-111.

#10 ·
That is one sweet gun ya got Olfarhors. Can't wait for my bonus so I can pick it up. Might risk the wife finding out and just go ahead and get it. But...I already begged forgiveness once this year already.

#11 ·
They are sweet little weapons for sure, you just got to play around with the different sized grips until you find the one that fits the best and is the most accurate on the gun out of your hand.
Really nice short crisp trigger reset (assuming you don't get the double action only), easy to pick up sights, and nice balanced weapon, comes on target naturally for me right from the draw.
Interesting the perception of different guns when we first see them and hold them, I was looking at a full sized PX4 that a guy bought when I was down at the range last week and thought to myself , damn this is a monster of a gun size wise!
I swear it wasn.t that big before i bought the PX4 Sub Compact!-LOL.

#12 ·
GreenWolf70 said:
Thanks, Olfarhors. Good report and pics. I've got some friends who want one and I'll pas the news along to them....still, I don't think it's my cup of tea. I'll stick with my PT-111.
For carry/conceal i woudl go with the Sub Compact, for duty or home use the compact or full size.
I shot 2 sub compacts and 1 regular sized , they all were accurate and smooth for me, the full size definitely has less recoil and of course that may be the rotating barrel as much as the size.
the SC model in 9MM certainly i not punishing to me by any means, but you can tell ya got a sub compact shooting it.
the weapons were all extremely smooth in operation and never hinted at not wanting to function fully with a variety of different ammo.
Lighter and smaller than my 24/7C in 9MM , heavier and same size as my 709 but with more accuracy and capacity.
It fits the ticket in what i was looking for.
I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it to friends or family.

#13 ·
Thanks O. Looking forward to picking it up. Recoil shouldn't be a problem. I ain't a little guy. But like you I want it for CC. I carry my PT145 in a Tucker most of the time at home and across the creek. Want the PX4 SC for traveling and hotel. And I wanted a .40 anyhow. This just kills two birds with one stone.

#14 ·
Pitbull1022 said:
Thanks O. Looking forward to picking it up. Recoil shouldn't be a problem. I ain't a little guy. But like you I want it for CC. I carry my PT145 in a Tucker most of the time at home and across the creek. Want the PX4 SC for traveling and hotel. And I wanted a .40 anyhow. This just kills two birds with one stone.
U B welcome!
yep we will be looking for a report from the range when you get a chance, it will interesting to see what others think of the gun!
yep, i am not recoil sensitive either but some are, so i threw that out there!
enjoy!

#15 ·
Don't have to go to the range. Just walk out the back door down to my targets. Ya gotta love the country.

#17 ·
Bonus is here. As soon as I can get to the LGS this week I will be paying it off and waiting the three days. Now if the railroad will cooperate with my plans it will be sweet. But I am sure I will be in town during business hour sometime this week.

#18 ·
Looking forward to the range report Pit, Enjoy !
I am going to try to get to the range tommorow with a few of my 9 MM and test out the Fiocchi all copper self defense rounds in various barrel lengths.
They are suppose to be coming out with a 40 cal version shortly so it might be something you are interested in with that 3 inch barrled 40 cal.
The 9mm loading is at 1325 Feet per second out of a 4 inch barreld 9 MM.
this is NOT plus p ammo so the recoil and return to target shoudl be very fast!

#19 ·
Took a trip off to play with Baby J, pay for the PX4 and go to the Doc to re-up my meds. Will pick the Beretta up in a few days. LGS don't open till 1100.

#20 ·
PAID FOR IT. 3 DAYS TILL PICK UP.

#21 ·
Pitbull1022 said:
PAID FOR IT. 3 DAYS TILL PICK UP.
Damn we need that song from Jeopardy to play while we are waiting!!
you know the one that they play when they are waiting for the final answers of the show!

#22 ·
Three days of that song would drive us CRAZY.

#23 ·
Pitbull1022 said:
Three days of that song would drive us CRAZY.
Yea! for sure!!
actually wish i had never brought it up, its been playing in my head ever since I thought about it!-LOL

#24 ·
First dimples and now jeopardy...ahhhh....the agony of these mental pictures can never be erased!

#25 ·
Picked it up today. Will not have time to shoot for a few days. Railroad wants their coal trains moved. Gotta work.

#26 ·
GreenWolf70 said:
First dimples and now jeopardy...ahhhh....the agony of these mental pictures can never be erased!
YEA! even spoken in the same sentence they are pretty devastating!-LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.