Ah, looking for the second coming of the Taurus 24/7 OSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Ah, looking for the second coming of the Taurus 24/7 OSS

Member #
    Liked
    658 times

Ah, looking for the second coming of the Taurus 24/7 OSS

One gun I've always had a 'thing' for was the Taurus 24/7 OSS, 5.25" slide, etc...

I shot a rental at my local range and was impressed...it later once went up for sale at the range, but I procrastinated and someone else snatched it up. Gunbroker always seems to have one, someday I might pull the trigger.

I sometimes wonder, "What gun is out there today that it 'closest' to (by any standard one might have) the 24/7 OSS? This is also a common question re: the Taurus PT-145. I find these questions fun and interesting whether or not I find an answer, so I thought I would pose it. And I'll start it off with the Canik TP9SFx.

There is (to me, anyway) a good resemblance to the OSS, along with the long slide. Canik has slide cuts.

What is your nomination?

Here's a pic:

Name:  Canik OSS 2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  Canik OSS.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  68.4 KB
    Last edited by Valjean; 07-29-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    30319 times
    Canik has great quality control from my experience.
    Valjean and olfarhors like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46698 times
    Name:  Canik lightened.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  317.6 KB

I like mine a lot. It was less expensive as it doesn't have the slide cutout. The trigger and accuracy are bar none.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12681 times
    Sar makes one pretty close:
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    658 times
    One thing I don't like about the Canik is that large baseplate, which I assume allows for the 20-round capacity. I've seen pics w/ a more 'standard looking' mag, so I wonder if the extended base plates can be removed...or if they are simply included for you to use, if you wish?

Can anyone say?

EDIT: looks like I was seeing pics of the TP9SF*L* which doesn't come with an extended base plate.
    Last edited by Valjean; 07-29-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3692 times
    I have a TP9SF. Thing is built like a tank, and even limp wristing it didn't slow it down.

Valjean, my SF came with standard 18 round mags. Some did come with the 20 rounders, but most don't.
    Czechbikr and Valjean like this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33846 times
    The 24/7 OSS was a really great pistol. It was made to compete in Army trials and sold to the public for a few years. Of course if you have an issue with one, don't send it in to Taurus for repair or you'll end up with a new G2C or G2S in it's place. But, the people I've known who had one were very happy with the gun.
    Valjean and jwc007 like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    I still haven't found anything close enough to my PT-145 to catch my interest. Taurus seems to occasionally hit on a great combination, then leave a big hole in the gun market when it discontinues that model. I always liked the OSS, but dragged my feet and never got one. Luckily, I got a second hand PT-145 and there's no way I'll give it up!

Valjean, silverstring and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    658 times
    Great info and great pics - thanks, everyone!

Here's another I think I forgot about...not the gun, itself, but that it came in a longer slide version. Walther PPQ has a 5" version:

Name:  Walther.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  43.5 KB
    Czechbikr and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28606 times
    Here are my three 24-7 OSS.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lone Eagle and Valjean like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links