Finally got my new pistol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Finally got my new pistol

Member #
    Liked
    20534 times

Finally got my new pistol

I finally got my new pistol today! I placed the order on April 15th. You can do the math. Just seems like it took a lot longer than it should have even under "these difficult times". Anyway I have it.

The FFL is about 15 minutes from where I work so took lunch and went to pick it up. When I called to make sure they had it the young lady told me the wait times on background checks could take a while. I got to the pawn shop and they got me going on the 4473 about as soon as I came through the door. They let me do a quick field strip on the gun and ran the background check. It took all of 5 minutes! The girl was surprised. I told her I'm just a good guy!

So I took the gun back to work where the boss let me do a quick field strip and clean on the gun. Cool huh! In anticipation I had my range bag and ammo with me. The work day ended and I headed for the range. I do love the private range...well actually semi-private. Anyway I was the only person at this particular pistol range.

The controls on the gun are fully ambi. The only issue I had with that was decocking and the right side decocker lever would move against my finger but it's no big deal. This gun is fairly large but it didn't seem overly so to me. It has the small back strap installed and I think that will work best for me.

As for shooting, the trigger is pretty good. I'm completely comfortable with the DA/SA type of trigger. The DA on this is a little longer than my PX4 but that will be a small adjustment. The SA trigger is pretty darn light! I had a couple of oops I was ready for that follow up shots. Again just a small adjustment. So far I like this gun a lot.

The ammo I used was a mix. I had some factory Blazer Brass FMJ 230gr. I had some (about 40) Hornady 230gr XTP hand loads, some old Xtreme 200gr FMJ hand loads and some newer Xtreme 200gr hand loads. The Blazer ammo worked just fine. The Hornady XTPs worked just fine. The older Xtreme were just too light of a charge and would not fully cycle the action. The newer Xtreme were about 98% working the action. I'll need to fine tune the load and make them a little spicier. And I will say the guide rod spring is a bit stiff! Granted most of the ammo I was using was not real hot but this gun shoots very soft...surprisingly soft.

On occasion I will use it for IDPA type shooting but mostly I think this is going to be my dedicated HD pistol. Anyway enough of the babbling. I'm sure I forgot the important info. So here are a few photos.

Name:  new fn fnx 45 may 2020.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  2.41 MB

Probably my best 5 shot group at 21ft.
    Name:  fnx45 5shot qt 21ft.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  2.11 MB

This was my last 35 rounds at 21 feet.
    Name:  fnx45 35rds at 21ft.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  2.10 MB
    Last edited by darbo; 05-11-2020 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33334 times
    Very nice ! That's some good shootin' and I think it will only get better. Congrats !
    darbo likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    9192 times
    That's a fine pistol and some top notch shooting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47646 times
    Nice, glad you finally got it.
    darbo likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    1752 times
    Nice. FNP Big Hole?
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2446 times
    Congrats on your new pistol.
    darbo likes this.
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Member #
    Liked
    4188 times
    Congrats on the new gun. They are indeed very good shooters.
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3074 times
    Congratrs on your new slide gun.
    darbo likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    1481 times
    Nice gun, and wicked awesome shooting!
    darbo likes this.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1817 times
    Awesome!! FN makes some pretty fine guns.
    darbo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links