• 1 Post By jtg452
  • 4 Post By Fredward
  • 1 Post By osbornk

Thread: Cheap Rimfire Revolver That Shoots Well

Member #
    Liked
    255 times

Cheap Rimfire Revolver That Shoots Well

I have had the opportunity to shoot three Weihrauch HW9 chambered in .22 l.r. lately and all of them were surprisingly accurate and had excellent fully adjustable sights, giving a good sight picture at 25 yards. The single action pull is very pleasant and the double action pull characteristics are excellent, yet surefire with cheap Armscore HV ammo.

After sighting this HW9 in, I shot six rounds at 25 yards in double action and I can't do better with my Korths, S&W K-22 and do worse in D/A with my Colt OMM.

If you see one for a good price, do not let the looks deceive you, this ugly duck is becoming a swan in the hands of a shooter!

Member #
    Liked
    8293 times
    That's the same outfit that made the Arminius line back in the day. German made and, while inexpensive, weren't cheap guns.

Their centerfire Wild West style single action design is still being marketed by EAA as the Bounty Hunter.
    mwj999 likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    2601 times
    Swap you two of them for one of your Korths.
    jtg452, andyd, GhostHorse and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Weihrauch is well known for their airrifles, which were marketed by Beeman here. Lothar Walther made the barrels for them, as well as for many other well known gun manufacturers. Arminius is the Roman name of the son of a German chieftain, who had been a Roman hostage and grew up in Rome to become a captain in the Roman Army. When he later visited his father, he decided to fight against the Romans and united the Germanic tribes to attack the legions of Varus and completely annihilated them. It was the first defeat of Rome and the turning of the tide, from then on the Germans pushed Romans back inch by inch until they sacked Rome.

The HW7 and HW 9 revolvers are still very common in Germany and regularly survive decades as club guns, seeing little to no maintenance and as much abuse as use. That alone speaks for their quality and longevity!

Member #
    Liked
    8293 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd View Post
    Weihrauch is well known for their airrifles, which were marketed by Beeman here. Lothar Walther made the barrels for them, as well as for many other well known gun manufacturers. Arminius is the Roman name of the son of a German chieftain, who had been a Roman hostage and grew up in Rome to become a captain in the Roman Army. When he later visited his father, he decided to fight against the Romans and united the Germanic tribes to attack the legions of Varus and completely annihilated them. It was the first defeat of Rome and the turning of the tide, from then on the Germans pushed Romans back inch by inch until they sacked Rome.

The HW7 and HW 9 revolvers are still very common in Germany and regularly survive decades as club guns, seeing little to no maintenance and as much abuse as use. That alone speaks for their quality and longevity!
    Herman the German of The Teutoburg Forest fame. Two Legions marched in, a handful straggled out.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    34208 times
    Thanks for the report, andyd! Good to hear something positive about low-cost German guns. The RG guns and others of similar ilk don't seem to generate many positive reports. Glad there are bright spots besides the Windicator.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1225 times
    I had an H&R 999 break open 9 shot .22 back in the 70's when they were one of the cheaper revolvers. Very accurate little revolver, now they are getting a pretty good price on gun auction sites. I keep checking pawn shops for another one.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Western North Dakota

Member #
    Liked
    1185 times
    Ugly? I don't think so.
    "Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free. But we all know that, don’t we?" -- Jerry Pournelle

Member #
    Liked
    6214 times
    How cheap is cheap?
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter U'cover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Rem 870 Exp 12g - Heritage RR .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phx HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    980 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Thanks for the report, andyd! Good to hear something positive about low-cost German guns. The RG guns and others of similar ilk don't seem to generate many positive reports. Glad there are bright spots besides the Windicator.
    I was given a Rohm RG38 a few years ago and it was tight and well built. It was before I learned how to shoot a snubnose and I couldn't hit anything with it. It went bang every time.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    Taurus

TCP
    Spectrum
    PT111 G2

Sponsored Links