Which to get - having trouble deciding on a 9mm 1911. Down to last 3. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Which to get - having trouble deciding on a 9mm 1911. Down to last 3.

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Add: I don't see any pix in your opening post, if that's what you are worried about.
    Yes, the first post. Just curious. I know you can add photos from online sources using a link, or saved pics. I suppose it is possible that they were online photos I linked to, and the source removed the photos.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I'm with Gary for the Rock Island. I have one in 9MM , 45ACP and 10MM . The Tactical II 9 MM will probably out shoot the other guns you have listed . My 45 shoots as good as my Gold Cup and the 10MM out shot my Delta Colt so I sold it and kept the RI. I am not a fan of ceracoat because it will partially dissolve with some bore cleaners and ruin the looks of your gun. The RI has a black phosphate finish that is very tough and nice looking after it is oiled.

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Finally able to pick up the Ruger 1911 (9mm Commander) today. Slide feels almost too easy to rack, but I'm sure that's just me being used to my .45 1911. I hope to get out to shoot it tomorrow, but we'll see. I'll give a range report following. Love the blue/gray frame color. I'll be getting some decorative grips at some point, but these rubber ones will serve very well, meantime.

Here's a couple of pics!

Name:  Ruger 1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  846.7 KB

Name:  Ruger 2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  718.6 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1325 times
    You wont be disappointed. I'm waiting for the Ruger Eagle Wing grips to arrive.. they really add something to the pistol. Oh and I got a Pierce finger grip attachment recently, that makes a difference too

Name:  DSC_0324.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  4.90 MB
    Last edited by GhostHorse; 03-28-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: removed needless copying of entire previous post
    Valjean likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    I own the Ruger lightweight commander size.. one of my favorite pistols. I use 10 rd mags (brownells brand) and they perform flawlessly.

The trigger is light and it is one of those guns you can shoot all day at the range and not get tired. Carries easily too... I've only done that a time or two... but I've carried it IWB and the lightweight and shorter barrel really makes a positive difference.

Nice choice you made!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by IowaShooter; 03-28-2020 at 08:38 AM.
    ManxTom, Lomax and Valjean like this.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaShooter View Post

...I use 10 rd mags (brownells brand) and they perform flawlessly...
    I got two 10 round Wilson Combat mags from Brownell's UK. Really nice mags and a good price too, considering where I am..!! I also got a couple of bumper pads for the Ruger factory mags that came with it.. cheap and a nice addition.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    18532 times
    Colt. All the others are clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Title tells all. Different guns/manufacturers, different plusses/minuses - I've listed a few. Right now one isn't rising above the other 2 (in my own eyes, anyway). Hoping someone will have some info or insight, would love to hear your thoughts.

Here they are:

Citadel 1911 9mm 'Madagascar'. Ceracote slide done in damascus pattern. My favorite for looks. Supplier is Legacy Sports, so no idea of their customer service.

Ruger 9mm SR1911 Lightweight Commander. Solid company w/ solid customer service. Love the blue/grey frame color.

Colt 9mm Combat Commander (the HEAVY version). I've heard it said that if anyone knows how to put together a reliable 9mm Commander, it is Colt.

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Put 100 rounds through it, and had some fail to feed/go back into full battery issues. It appears this was due to my grip and the lightness of the recoil spring & slide on this "LW Commander". Last few weeks I've been working on getting a solid grip that's as high up to the nth degree. On this gun, when I would choke up as high as possible on the grip and and not think about finger position, I had problems. With a somewhat lower grip & focus on the fingers, it ran 100%.

Problem was not confined to beginning or end of magazines.

Might call Ruger about getting a stronger recoil spring...but might process through this, myself, as my LGS stocks plenty of springs. Wolff says 16 lbs is the factory standard for a 9mm commander spring, not sure if Ruger uses different, or if this being a lightweight model changes things or not.

Whatever they use, it should work, haha! Or maybe more sensitive slides are standard on 9mm LW Commanders and I just need to lower my grip a little.

(gun did feel a bit 'clanky' at times, as if it needs a bit more cushioning on the inside)

OTOH, the pistol looks great, and I'm VERY happy with its accuracy.
    Last edited by Valjean; 03-28-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    ManxTom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Put 100 rounds through it, and had some fail to feed/go back into full battery issues. It appears this was due to my grip and the lightness of the recoil spring & slide on this "LW Commander". Last few weeks I've been working on getting a solid grip that's as high up to the nth degree. On this gun, when I would choke up as high as possible on the grip and and not think about finger position, I had problems. With a somewhat lower grip & focus on the fingers, it ran 100%.

Problem was not confined to beginning or end of magazines.

Might call Ruger about getting a stronger recoil spring...but might process through this, myself, as my LGS stocks plenty of springs. Wolff says 16 lbs is the factory standard for a 9mm commander spring, not sure if Ruger uses different, or if this being a lightweight model changes things or not.

Whatever they use, it should work, haha! Or maybe more sensitive slides are standard on 9mm LW Commanders and I just need to lower my grip a little.

(gun did feel a bit 'clanky' at times, as if it needs a bit more cushioning on the inside)

OTOH, the pistol looks great, and I'm VERY happy with its accuracy.
    Don't know how long you've been back home from the range but I bet you still have a smile on your face... and it'll last a while. BTW, that Pierce Finger Grip sorted my hand placement very well. It just sits under the grips, it's very thin, about 1mm and you'd hardly notice. The rubber gives it a nice cushioned feel.

https://www.brownells.co.uk/FINGER-G...r-No-092100012

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    I did enjoy shooting it this morning, despite the issues - many of which just required a nudge on the back of the slide with the thumb.

I did a lot of snooping around, and found this tidbit re: the recoil spring re: someone who contacted Ruger:

"Ruger confirmed that the 9mm Commander shipped with a 10 pound spring...then contacted Wolff Springs and they advised to work up the recoil spring weight until I experienced malfunctions , then back off 2 pounds and that should be the correct weight."

Wolf, as mentioned, recommends 16 lb springs on their website for 9mm Commanders.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links