Which to get - having trouble deciding on a 9mm 1911. Down to last 3. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Which to get - having trouble deciding on a 9mm 1911. Down to last 3.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23013 times
    Hands down the Ruger Lightweight 1911. I've got one (45ACP) and it runs flawless. And it is a lightweight.

Pluses: lightweight, feeding ramp of titanium built into the barrel, the plunger (holds the spring for the thumb safety) is integrated into the frame - not staked to the frame like most all other brands. Prolly cheaper than the Colt but more expensive than the Citadel.

PS Ruger has outstanding customer service!
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 03-14-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    ManxTom and Valjean like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    980 times
    I've had my full size RIA for several years and it has been flawless. It was the best price I could find for a 1911 when I bought it.
    Valjean likes this.
    Taurus

TCP
    Spectrum
    PT111 G2

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Thanks a lot, everyone! I've settled on one, and will be back with pics tomorrow if the sale goes through as I expect!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Thanks a lot, everyone! I've settled on one, and will be back with pics tomorrow if the sale goes through as I expect!

Hope the sale / your purchase goes well.
    Valjean likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Ok, sale went through - I won the auction (I was the only bidder, haha) on Gunbroker, and got a 'used but likely never fired' Ruger SR1911 LW Commander.

Read on if you want the whole story. If not, pics below...

At a LGS I saw this same model listed for $850. I liked it, but went home to think about it. Online prices were between $750 & $800, and this being at a LGS, I expected a higher price, and I like supporting LGS's...but when I went back to see it again, I saw that the gun was used, and just couldn't go $850 for a used model. Also was looking at the other 2 models...hadn't really decided at that point.

Something else... I've seen (online) models of this gun with a gray frame, AND with a blue/gray frame - I'm not sure why this is, but it isn't just photo lighting. The one I saw at the LGS had a blue/gray frame, and I REALLY liked that, so I wanted to make sure I got one of those.

I found one on Gunbroker that didn't use the stock black & white photo that so many auctions and websites use in their listings, so I knew the exact frame color. This one was likely unfired, included everything a new one comes with, and was $695, so I couldn't pass it up! Sent payment this morning, and will post pics once it arrives. Here are a couple of the pics used in the auction:

Name:  Ruger 1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  Ruger 2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  57.1 KB

Here's a pic with the gray frame:

Last edited by Valjean; 03-17-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    I don't have any interest in lightweight, commander or compact 1911s, so all mine are government sized, all-steel or stainless steel. My first 9mm 1911 was a Citadel. Purely for looks, I replace the barrel bushing and grip panels. Performance had been outstanding for a handgun costing under $400, including enhancements. I bought it on sale for $329 for the handgun in 2013-14 or so. My second 9mm 1911 was a Rock Island Ultra FS. Good performer out of the box, but with better sights. Both handguns are made by Armscor. I also own Rugers and Colts, but they're .45 and 10mm. Not a bad egg in the bunch.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by valjean View Post
    title tells all. Different guns/manufacturers, different plusses/minuses - i've listed a few. Right now one isn't rising above the other 2 (in my own eyes, anyway). Hoping someone will have some info or insight, would love to hear your thoughts.

Here they are:

Citadel 1911 9mm 'madagascar'. Ceracote slide done in damascus pattern. My favorite for looks. Supplier is legacy sports, so no idea of their customer service.

ruger 9mm sr1911 lightweight commander. Solid company w/ solid customer service. Love the blue/grey frame color.

colt 9mm combat commander (the heavy version). I've heard it said that if anyone knows how to put together a reliable 9mm commander, it is colt.

. Colt
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Odd that the pics I posted at the top are all gone now. Do pics go away after a certain period of time to save bandwidth?
    daytonaredeye likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23013 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Odd that the pics I posted at the top are all gone now. Do pics go away after a certain period of time to save bandwidth?
    I see your pix fine. Just 2 pix, right?

Add: I don't see any pix in your opening post, if that's what you are worried about.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 03-20-2020 at 12:11 AM.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    I never really considered a 1911 in 9mm until I recently sighted a 1911 long slide model in 9mm in. It shot amazingly well with barely any felt recoil and was accurate at 25 yards and really fast to double tap at seven yards.

I decided to give this gun to myself for my birthday, a 1999 made Nowlin Challenger. First groups are promising.

FWIW, I had ordered some 9mm mags, the 10 rd MecGars are not working feeding the second shot. The MecGar 9 rounders are good.
    olfarhors, GhostHorse and Valjean like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links