SCCY CPX-3 a surprisingly good shooter, range review and my impressions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-3 a surprisingly good shooter, range review and my impressions

Member #
    Liked
    12156 times

SCCY CPX-3 a surprisingly good shooter, range review and my impressions

I have been kinda looking for another high capacity 380, since none of the Bersa plus pistols shot comfortably for me (web of hand and trigger finger pain ). I've been seeing the great prices on the CPX-3 for the last 6 months and told myself if I can get a new one for under $150, it would be mine. That day came 2 weeks ago when KC firearms had this model of CPX-3 on sale for $149, and free shipping. How could I refuse.
    Name:  P1030746bb.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  843.1 KB
    The CPX-3 comes in a nice cardboard box, 3 magazines, nice easy to read manual, lifetime warranty card, and a decent trigger lock. Here is the CPX information from: https://www.sccy.com/product/cpx-3-380-acp/

• NEW, INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY: featuring the “ROEBUCK QUAD-LOCK” for more repeatable accuracy.
    • Magazine: Includes (3) double stack, 10 round capacity magazines. 1 with finger extension base installed and 2 with flat bases.
    • Barrel: Machined from bar stock with 7 lands and grooves having a 1:16 right-hand twist.
    • Receiver: 7075‐T6 aircraft grade heat treated aluminum alloy, machined from bar stock.
    • Slide: Quality Stainless Steel available with Natural Stainless or Black Nitride finish.
    • Grip/Frame: Made from Zytel polymer, with ergonomic finger grooves.
    • Recoil Spring System: All steel, fully encapsulated for ease of disassembly and reassembly.
    • Slide Lock/Release: Steel with a Zytel over molded polymer extension for ease of operation.
    • 3 Dot Sight System: Steel rear sight, adjustable for windage only with locking screw.
    • Hammer Firing System: Double-action only, internal hammer with inertial firing pin to prevent accidental discharge if dropped.
    • Double-action trigger: Specifically designed for shooter comfort and accuracy by designing the system to have a smooth effortless, consistent 9-pound trigger pull.
    • Trigger Guard Lock: Custom designed to properly fit and be child resistant. Includes 2 keys.

Name:  P1030750bb.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  844.9 KB
    As you can see this is not a micro pistol (I've tried the LCP, LCP2, 738, and spectrum) All shot ok for short distance, but have limited magazine capacity. Using the magazine with the pinky extension, I can easily get a full 3 finger grip, and mostly without the extension.
    Specifications:
    Barrel Length: 2.96″ Height: 4.90″
    Length: 5.70″ Width: 1.26″
    Trigger pull distance 9/16" before a crisp break with a full reset Out of box DA only trigger pull = 9.4lbs
    3 dot steel sight system - rear drift adj extended slide stop
    No accessory rail weight with full mag +1 20.7 oz's
    Name:  P1030742bb.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  724.4 KB
    Here is how it looked after 90 rounds. I have since installed a Mcarbo CPX3 trigger spring kit, and did a little polishing on friction surfaces. This upgrade is not easy - frame pins are a bear to work with. Now my trigger pull while still a 9/16" distance, is down to 3.5 - 4lbs. The pistol ran another 90 rounds after upgrade flawlessly. It is so light and smooth. I also did some radius work on the trigger blade to take some of the pinch out, and polished the bottom of the blade and trigger guard inside to keep my fat phalanges from getting any pain when firing. The extended slide stop works great, slide rack effort is indeed light, almost equal to the SW MP shield ez light effort.
    Name:  P1030748bb.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  813.9 KB
    But there is a down side to my new CPX-3. Two of the three magazines won't lock the slide back on empty. A short call to SCCY CS and I have two new magazines on the way. SCCY CS is indeed nice and quick. Ten minutes from start to end.
    Name:  P1030751bb.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  748.6 KB
    My SCCY is a pleasure to shoot now, and has decent accuracy at 12 yards. I ran 6 different types of 380 ammo: Fiocchi 90grn XTPHP, Hornady 90grn FTX, Herters 95 grn ball,Fed amer eagle 95grn ball, Aguila 95 grn ball, Remington 95grn ball. No failures - other than the aforementioned slide lock issues. This is my new favorite tiny gun, and will be riding in a pocket holster for summer, if it runs another 100 rounds with no failures. The pistol feels substantial enough even in big hands to shoot confidently. Check one out at your local LGS and get a "feel" for it, maybe a good buy at the right price.
    Last edited by silverstring; 03-11-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    2596 times
    Nice gun, great price!
    silverstring and Lomax like this.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    nice. I may pick one up myself.
    silverstring likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Good to see they are mounds better than the CPX2 I have. Your target is a little better than mine, but still not acceptable at that range for me. I'm looking to sell my CPX2 because it doesn't meet my criteria as an accurate, flawless firearm.
    silverstring likes this.
    2nd Amendment Patriot.

Member #
    Liked
    1720 times
    What you have looks to be a winner to me. So what it had a mag glitch. You caught it early on and SCCY made it right.

My CPX-2 is a neat gun also. It's not perfect, but for a pocket gun, it'll get the job done with ease.

When new, I tested it at the range with a variegated mix of handloads. Only pills it wouldn't cycle were some 158 gr. subsonic loads meant for my Blackhawk. Accuracy was on par. I did encounter a few light primer strikes that went off with a follow up trigger squeeze.

The CPX-2 D/A trigger pull averaged in at only 5 lb.- 13.8 oz. with my Lyman digital scale. 9.4 lbs. out of the box sounds more acceptable to me. I wonder if this isn't somehow related to the light primer strikes I'd experienced. Maybe I'll give SCCY a buzz.

I'd like these pistols a lot better if they had an integrated laser injected inside the plastic frame. Then zero it in at 50'.

Nice write up on your new heater. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    9430 times
    I have a CPX-1 in 9mm. I bought it for an express purpose - a knock around for the truck, tackle box and sometimes back up. My only complaint is (was) the safety. I cannot understand why a safety is needed on a DAO handgun. I removed it. I have a couple of thousand rounds down range. I've had the gun for 10 or 12 years. It does spend a lot of time in the safe, but I do shoot it a couple of times a year. I like the gun. It's been a great buy and it's a keeper. It's kind of beat up - but it's intended use dictates that. I keep it clean and ready to shoot. I don't carry it often because I'm not a big fan of DAO guns as primary carry, and I've chosen my LCR as my back up. But anyone looking for in inexpensive DAO gun can't go wrong with this one. The very early models (serial numbers under 30,000 as I recall) did have some problems with frame cracking. However SCCY stood by their warranty and took care of those guns.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    4455 times
    I rented one with a buddy a couple of weeks ago. Very nice shooter and surpisingly accurate out to 10 yards. My EDC is a PF9, and the trigger is much smother on it than the SCCY, but it has 2500+ rounds down the pipe. I personally want to stick with 9mm, but none were available of rent. My buddy ended up buying the SCCY 380. He shot my PF9 and decided the SCCY 380 was a better choice for him over the 9mm. Something about the PF9 being too violent upon ignition...
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    30156 times
    They come in a number of flavors too...

NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    28091 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    They come in a number of flavors too...

Sheeesh--NO Camo??
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7867 times
    Thing is that the CPX3 is pretty much identical in size to the CPX2. I've got one of those and carry it quite often. It's as accurate as I need it to be (took some practice due to the DAO trigger). It also works with every reload I have thrown at it. Got no trouble hitting a 6" plate at 25 yards and the recoil is surprisingly manageable.

(I got the Grape flavor)
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links