Hi Power 9mm - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Hi Power 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Save up for an actual Browning Hi Power or settle for a Regent BR9? The Hi power is the only pistol I crave. Limited funds may determine my choice.
    2nd Amendment Patriot.

Member #
    Liked
    1423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum View Post
    Anyone who carries a pistol for every day use which costs over $2000 is................., well, I would question their reasoning power. IF they have to use the gun, regardless of the situation, the gun is going to be confiscated and possibly never returned. One of the reasons I carry a moderate to inexpensive gun. And there are enough of them out there which go "bang" every time you pull the trigger, so reliability is not a consideration. Personal choice? Yeah, but why take the chance of losing a gun of that price? Makes on shoot better? No more so that a set of Talyor Made clubs would make me a better golfer than the Northwesterns I have now.
    Very much agree with you. The main reason I am a Taurus fan is because I didn't want to carry my Browning.
    Ten years ago I took my Browning to a two-day course at Front Sight. Got a lotta raised eyebrows.....from instructors!
    Decided then that I needed to get an everyday gun, so I got a Glock 17.
    Then I got my CCW and wanted a smaller carry weapon; so I got a SCCY CPX-1.
    Then I wanted a second carry gun in case the first was lost, stolen, recalled, or taken into evidence. I wanted a different make than the SCCY so that a recall didn't take them both out; so I got my first Taurus PT-111 G2.
    Very impressed with that gun, and Taurus in general (except for their 738 TCP).
    I'm a practical kinda guy. I buy function over glitter. I drive a Toyota Corolla, even though I could afford a so-called "better" car.
    Yes, a Mercedes Benz is a better car than Toyota,.....but it's not FIVE TIMES better! Yet it costs five times as much as a Toyota
    I like Toyota, and I like Taurus!
    txgocart111g2 and loudviking like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum View Post
    Anyone who carries a pistol for every day use which costs over $2000 is................., well, I would question their reasoning power. IF they have to use the gun, regardless of the situation, the gun is going to be confiscated and possibly never returned. One of the reasons I carry a moderate to inexpensive gun. And there are enough of them out there which go "bang" every time you pull the trigger, so reliability is not a consideration. Personal choice? Yeah, but why take the chance of losing a gun of that price? Makes on shoot better? No more so that a set of Talyor Made clubs would make me a better golfer than the Northwesterns I have now.
    Very much agree with you. The main reason I am a Taurus fan is because I didn't want to carry my Browning.
    Ten years ago I took my Browning to a two-day course at Front Sight. Got a lotta raised eyebrows.....from instructors!
    Decided then that I needed to get an everyday gun, so I got a Glock 17.
    Then I got my CCW and wanted a smaller carry weapon; so I got a SCCY CPX-1.
    Then I wanted a second carry gun in case the first was lost, stolen, recalled, or taken into evidence. I wanted a different make than the SCCY so that a recall didn't take them both out; so I got my first Taurus PT-111 G2.
    Very impressed with that gun, and Taurus in general (except for their 738 TCP).
    I'm a practical kinda guy. I buy function over glitter. I drive a Toyota Corolla, even though I could afford a so-called "better" car.
    Yes, a Mercedes Benz is a better car than Toyota,.....but it's not FIVE TIMES better! Yet it costs five times as much as a Toyota.
    I like Toyota, and I like Taurus!
    (But I'm glad I bought my Browning back in '81 before it got expensive)
    Last edited by 777Driver; 02-07-2020 at 11:29 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    I have two Belgian Browning High Powers left; one T series and one from 1988. While many collectors will vastly prefer the T-series, I do not see any difference in built quality or shootability in them. My son had a Hungarian FEG copy that was equally well made and that sell at a fraction of the cost. While they shoot well, they take a back seat in my safe because for fun at the gun range, I prefer the Swiss SIG P210s, Custom Colt 1911, or revolvers for their superior accuracy.

Tracker627 and loudviking like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7183 times
    I bought a beautiful C series Browning from Kruizer a while back...99.9% condition, I'd say. It was such a beautiful gun, that I bought another one that has a bit more wear on it so I'm more likely to shoot it. It might be my best shooting handgun.
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    I bought a brand-new MKIII Sport (adjustable target sights) back in '92 or so. I didn't shoot it much - it was just too pretty with that blued finish. Finally asked myself "Who am I saving it for?" and decided to start carrying it, and I converted it to fixed sights. But then I lived in fear that I would scratch it or get a worn spot on the finish.

Looked on Gunbroker and found the Israeli imports. Ended up buying an interesting one:

This is an FEG Counterfeit FN, and the story is that it was originally sold to the Iraqi Army during the Iran/Iraq war, which raged from 1980 to1988. Saddam's military used Hi Powers, but when Iraq placed an order with FN for a bunch of new pistols FN refused to accept the order. The rumor is then that a shifty eastern European arms dealer promised Saddam that he had folks at FN who owed him a favor, and if Saddam gave HIM the order he could get it filled. Receiving the order, the guy then went to FEG, who had been making a copy of the pre-MKII/MKIII Hi Power since 1970 The 1927 patents had long run out, and besides, FEG was behind the Iron Curtain so what was FN to do? It seems that the dealer provided FEG with a current MKII HI Power and told FEG to rollmark them like that. Saddam got his pistols, all marked Fabrigue National Herstal Belgique, Browning's Patent Depose. So FEG sold a boatload of pistols. The arms dealer made a tidy profit selling FEG pistols at FN prices. Saddam got his pistols. Everybody was happy!

At some point this pistol somehow fell into Israeli hands, the Israelis being well known for refurbishing captured/battlefield pickup arms and putting them into their inventory. It probably had a polished blue finish when it left Budapest, but the Israelis Parkerized it right over a couple of nicks. Eventually they sold it to Cole's Distributing in Kentucky, who sold it to me. I replaced all of the springs and the firing pin which was all corroded, and removed the magazine disconnect which was boogered up and corroded in place in the trigger. Recently I replaced the original "classic" safety, which was very mushy, with a new FN MKII/MKIII safety which snicks into position quite satisfyingly. It has become my EDC, and I'm wearing it on my hip right now. Accurate with Federal 9BP JHP, and feeds them perfectly even though it has the old "humped" feed ramp. Shoots great!

I only wish it could talk.
    Last edited by tpelle; 02-20-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    34114 times
    tpelle, that's a great story that would lead me to treasure that pistol. Fascinating.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    tpelle, that's a great story that would lead me to treasure that pistol. Fascinating.
    Well, I do value it for it's story. Not often do you get a chance to own a firearm that is one that actually participated in a historical event.

Strangely enough, a lot of serious Hi Power aficionados tend the shun the FEGs, and especially the Counterfeit FNs like mine. They argue that a non-licensed Hi Power isn't really a Hi Power, but how many companies make 1911s - Kimber, Springfield Armory, Remington, Wilson Combat, Auto Ordnance, and on and on - and nobody objects to calling them 1911s.

I understand that some of these Counterfeits came into the country mixed in with legitimate FNs sold on the surplus market by Israel in good faith thinking that they were authentic, and were then sold by U.S. importers in good faith as authentic. (I guess if I had paid FN money for an FEG, I might be a little miffed too.) It was only when some collector noticed the incongruity of a pre-MKII Hi Power with MKII rollmarks, and then the FEG format serial number (Letter, splace, 5 digits)that was different from anything FN used, that they were identified as counterfeits.
    Last edited by tpelle; 02-21-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Well, mine is at best a knock off of a knock off of a high power (and maybe even one more step removed), and has had more than a few modifications since I got it, including a reshaping of the backstrap, a home spray paint job, shaved trigger hooks, springs, a trigger, and is by no means a beauty queen, but I do really love shooting it.

Name:  IMG_20200224_183911.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  3.01 MB

Member #
    Liked
    28083 times
    to me its not about the NAME but the performance and quality of the build, I am not a collector but I can appreciate those that are.
    but actually the difference in a Browning hi-Power vs a good clone is kind of like the difference in a 1911 made by Colt and any other number of clones (if you will) and many of those clones are as good or better than the Colt.
    and YES I do own Colt 1911's.
    again I am not a collector so performance, quality and accuracy are my things of interest.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links