Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Double Barreled Revolver? WTH?

7K views 60 replies 25 participants last post by  357Funtime 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Is this the 1st time you've seen this gun? I believe it was 3 or 4 weeks ago and there was a discussion on the gun right here on taurus armed. I think one of our members already has 1 and I know myself and a couple of others have them on order.

Don

#5 ·
Not really a new concept. The LeFaucheux was a 20 shot double action revolver from the early 1800's. If I'm not mistaken, there was even a triple barrel made at one point! So really this is just them trying to re-invent the wheel(gun)! I'm telling you, nobody these days can come up with their own idea! [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
The most interest I've ever seen in this gun was; "If they make one in .327 Magnum, then I'll be interested." But Standard Manufacturing's product page says otherwise...

https://stdgun.com/s333-thunderstruck/

ATTENTION: S333 Thunderstruck™ orders will take 3 weeks to ship due to overwhelming demand!
Either this is a complete lie or just about everyone who's interested in these is too ashamed to admit it.

The S333 Thunderstruck™ sets the standard for the ultimate in personal protection by simultaneously firing two rounds of .22 Win Mag with each pull of the trigger. With four pulls of the trigger, eight rounds are fired in only three seconds.
I've heard my fair share of bold claims by firearms manufacturers, but this one really takes the cake... I mean, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone claim that a double-tap with a .22WMR "sets the standard for ultimate personal protection" not to mention the first time I've ever heard the .22WMR referred to as ".22 Win Mag".

By combining standard ammunition and birdshot, each pull of the trigger will deliver an incredible combination of firepower and very light recoil.
Oops, spoke too soon... If nothing else, you guys have certainly set a new standard for absurdly bold claims in modern-day firearms marketing. Because seriously, I haven't seen firearms marketing this silly since early 1900s firearms advertisements.

The S333 Thunderstruck™ is incredibly reliable because it functions as a Double Action Revolver. These Revolvers are far more superior to any other automatic pistol which are rendered useless when they jam or misfire. Additionally, the two shots per pull, with four pulls of the trigger, makes the S333 Thunderstruck™ the most redundant and reliable personal protection firearm when your life is on the line.
Rolling out that old yarn now, are we? I'm fairly certain that most firearms instructors would disagree with this statement, but then again, they aren't trying to sell a gimmicky 2-shot revolver chambered in a cartridge which is about as powerful as .38 Special +P out of a Rifle and falls short of .380 ACP out of a pistol.

The S333 Thunderstruck™ also features an articulated safety integral into the trigger and requires a deliberate and full pull of the trigger before the transfer bar will clear from the firing pins and hammers. The resulting S333 Thunderstruck™ is the safest personal protection firearm available.
So basically, it's your average double action trigger, only excessively heavier and requires 2 fingers to pull? Sorry guys, but if Smith & Wesson couldn't convince folks that the SIGMA Series heavy DA trigger was a safety feature, then you most certainly won't convince anyone that the monstrous trigger pull on this is either.

Our patented design of the S333 Thunderstruck™ is the most compact and concealable firearm imaginable of its type. The small size allows it to be carried in your pocket or purse and can be easily retrieved when needed.
Well yeah, but then again, it's technically "the only firearm of it's type" period, so that isn't saying much.

The ergonomic design of the S333 Thunderstruck™ features a comfortable polymer grip, intuitive controls, and no clumsy safety. This makes the S333 Volleyfire™ the ideal choice in personal protection when your life depends on it.
I would argue that the ridiculously heavy DA trigger you were just pushing as a safety feature qualities as a "clumsy safety". Perhaps even the clumsiest safety ever devised, or at least the clumsiest attempt at pushing an inherently heavy double action trigger as a safety. Also, is it called the "Thunderstruck" or the "Volleyfire"? Because not only have you referred to it as both in the same paragraph, but you trademarked both names as well.

#8 ·
Actually, I was just goofing off, but you're definitely right about somebody here being offended.

Reactions: Steyr
#9 ·
I may have gotten a little upset, and I apologize for being a jerk.

I get frustrated. One of the common complaints among gun owners is lack of innovation, yet anything new is harshly criticized.This is a golden age of innovation (one reason I like Taurus.) I also get frustrated by criticism of something a person hasn't seen.

I did buy one of these revolvers. As all Standard Mfg guns, it was very well made. Yes, it is impractical. Yes, the advertising was hyperbolic (whose isn't)?) It is not unique, as several semi-automatic pistols had twin barrels and actions. It is the lowest priced volley gun I have ever seen advertised retail.

It is accurate within a 3 inch circle at 15 yards. After that, it's hard to be accurate with a ten thousand pound trigger. I've put 500 rounds of Critical Defense thru it, without a misfire.

Once again, I'm sorry for letting my inner jerk out. I'll try to keep him locked in the closet in future.

#12 ·
It's cool, I probably should have made it clear from the start that I sas being sarcastic and critical for comedic effect.

To be honest, I think that the Thunderstruck is an interesting concept, and I'd like to see it scaled up, given longer barrels, and chambered in larger caliber bullets. I like .22WMR, but this particular firearm doesn't appeal to me in .22WMR. I think the folks calling for it in .327 Magnum may be onto something, as it could easily hold 6 shots in .32 H&R Magnum while maintaining the same dimensions, and pack a lot more of a punch.

I've actually been curious to hear how it performs from somebody who actually owns one, so it's nice to hear a bit about from you. Considering that most armed confrontations take place within 7 yards, accuracy out to 15 yards is more than adequate for the purpose it was designed for. I'm not surprised that it went 500 rounds without a misfire, as .22WMR is far more reliable than anybody gives it credit for. Folks get all hung up on it being Rimfire, assuming that makes it no more reliable than .22LR, forgetting that .22WMR uses an inside-the-case lubricated bullet. With modern priming compounds, rimfire bullets are far more reliable than they ever were before, but the.22LR is still using an outside-the-case lubricated heeled bullet, which is extremely susceptible to contamination as well as moisture, ergo the .22LR is inherently more likely to have dud rounds compared to .22WMR.

I can't fault you for getting worked up over the perceived criticism of a firearm that you own and enjoy by an otherwise ignorant fool who clearly lacks any first-hand experience with one. Under similar circumstances, I've done the same. It's frustrating seeing people ignorantly putting down firearms you like, and being an owner of a Taurus Judge, Mossberg 590 Shockwave, and a Smith & Wesson SIGMA SW40VE, I'm certainly no stranger to it. Heck, if anything, I feel like I ought to apologize to you. I was just goofing around, trying to make people laugh, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Honestly, I was actually intentionally trying to sound a bit like some of those obnoxious internet critics as a sort of parody to them.

#11 ·
That is some unusually silly adspeak.

Yes, we're in a golden age of innovation. From the Judge to the Boberg, there are tons of brilliant new ideas out there.

This isn't among them, if you ask me. But I could very well be wrong; I haven't held one, much less shot one, so I could be way off base. But a trigger so tough it takes two fingers combined with what, 100 grains total in two pieces, doesn't sound like it fills a noticeable need.

#13 ·
I may buy me one,thanks for sharing the video.My first time seeing it.:cool:

#15 ·
I have a safe full of freaky stuff. Rainbow ti plating, the Bond Arms bullpen, NAA's, this thing, two Schockwaves, etc. Sold the View at a profit to a collector (still with Lexan on.) Modified old grips for the non view.

I agree about the 327. The variety of rounds would make the power levels and recoil "adjustable," a better sight, perhaps like the good red Glock ones, and a lighter trigger would make an impressive piece. I will correspond with them. Also, they still owe me a cap. I bought the package. The tee is pretty nice. Stretches over my gut, anyway.

I'll try to control myself. It doesn't help that your opinion mirrored my wife's, but not being restricted by forum rules, she was, shall we say, more concise.

#16 ·
I've actually always been fond of the aesthetics of Rainbow Ti/Stainless finishes, they just look so psychedelic. The Bond Arms Bullpup is an interesting design, the problem is that the benefits of a bullpup pistol seem to be negligible due to diminish returns. NAAs have legitimate utility as deep concealment weapons. Shockwaves are great for cramped living spaces in which full-size shotguns would be difficult to maneuver, are extremely fun to shoot, flip the bird at the NFA, and they're just plain awesome. I've always felt that the View was a good concept, but poorly executed, and abandoned too soon. If the View had been chambered in .22WMR, then it could have been a NAA Mini Revolver killer due to it's relatively small size, DA/SA trigger, swing out cylinder, (predates the Sidewinder) better sights, and it obviously would have had higher capacity. The larger size wouldn't have been a big deal due to the trade-off benefits.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you married fellas make me feel way better about my decision to ultimately become celibate. Seriously, I don't think that I could put up with half the stuff you guys do.

#27 ·
I will look into buying one just to have in my collection.

#32 ·
yep-- better keep an eye on those weak hand fingers getting out in front of the barrel muzzle.

#30 ·
Well, well... that sure a a nifty looking revolver!:) I would really like to see one!

#33 ·
Just imagine it's capability (even though it's a .22), paired with the rounds below.

I absolutely would not want to be on the wrong side of that barrel when it was fired.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0025
HMM? a self defense #12 shot defense round--Yea Ok.
maybe IF I was being attacked by a quail?
remember these velocity ratings are generally from a 16-20 inch rifle barrel as well.
but hey its your choice and your money.

#35 ·
If it fires 2 .22's with every trigger pull, then why not just do what I do and carry a .44 instead? :D

As an added bonus, I have the reliability of centerfire versus rimfire, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.