Any Ruger SR9 Fans or Not Fans out there? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Any Ruger SR9 Fans or Not Fans out there?

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31439 times
    I do have a big, honkin' Ruger 9mm, a P85. I shoot it occasionally, but prefer others for carry.
    vboy36 and taurustoter like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    2326 times
    I was actually planning on getting a Ruger SR40c until I found a S&W Sigma SW40VE at my LGS, like new in box for $199.

If the Sigma is S&W's answer to the Glock 23, then the SR40 is Ruger's answer to both. It's substantially heavier than G23 or SW40VE, but as characteristic of Ruger, it's heavier because it's built like a tank. Seriously, S&W designed the Sigma specifically for the .40 S&W cartridge, and by all accounts, it holds up extremely well to a steady diet of .40 S&W, so I imagine that the more robust SR40 would last forever. It is to my understanding that like the Sigma, the SR Series came first in .40 S&W, then later in 9mm Luger, and is dimensionally the same as the SR40, so you could probably shoot hot 9mm NATO loads out of an SR9 no problem with minimal muzzle rise/felt recoil.
    vboy36 and jwc007 like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    546 times
    Awesome. thanks. Tuco!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vboy36 View Post
    Thanks Taurustoter!!! I am happy that I ordered it. It is all black. Ordered from Buds Gun Shop on line so I should have it next week. Here is a photo from Buds for now.

Looks just like his. If this means anything to show how "shootable" the pistol is, my son and his wife (she has never shot a handgun in her life), qualified with his Ruger for their Ohio CCW permits. If she mastered it, then it goes to show how well the pistol handles.
    vboy36 and jwc007 like this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    3415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I do have a big, honkin' Ruger 9mm, a P85. I shoot it occasionally, but prefer others for carry.
    The P85 is a classic though. That's classic early Ruger stuff...tough as a four by four.
    NativeTexan and Dan51 like this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    The P85 is a classic though. That's classic early Ruger stuff...tough as a four by four.
    Yeah, you ain't gonna break it with a wimpy little +P+ 9mm load. I have a KP90DC, stainless .45ACPP, also. THAT one is SWEET! I do actually break it out and carry it from time to time even though my PT145 is lighter. It shoots where I look.
    Dan51 and taurustoter like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Love my SR9. It was an impulse buy from several years ago. I used it to shoot IDPA a couple of times just to see how it compared to my usual competition gun, a Browning Hi-Power and it wasn't bad. I had two break-in jams in the first magazine I shot through it. Since then I have fired at least a couple thousand rounds without a hiccup.
    vboy36 likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31637 times
    If I recall correctly, the SR series of Rugers got off to a very bad start, they were almost immediately recalled so that they could have the Glock-like trigger put on due to issues with the gun firing when dropped or something like that. After that, though, I've heard nothing but good things.

**edit - oh yeah, they may have a magazine safety disconnect as well, which I've never been fond of but it's just something to keep in mind.
    vboy36 likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    2326 times
    Pretty much every pistol has a rocky start, it's sort of uncommon these days for new designs to be flawless on arrival, but like most guns, the issues the SR Series was plagued with at launch have long since been dealt with.
    Furthermore, based on what I've heard, the magazine disconnect in the SR Series is easily removed and doing so doesn't void any warranties.
    taurustoter likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    2092 times
    I have a SR40 I paid over $400 for 8-9 years ago. For $279 I buy a few for stock. Its as good as any plastic framed gun I own. I did put a stainless steel guide rod in mine. Please excuse the nasty camera work.

Last edited by DDDWho; 12-03-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    Kim Rhode: "The fact that the government would even consider repealing or taking away the Second Amendment is basically the very reason for which it was written. So for me, that is an issue in itself." US Olympic Trap Shooter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links